Are we seeing overall flashlight fatigue from all the new lights?

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
So many new similar lights are being introduced that we barely get to look at one before another is introduced. I think it has reduced the amount of excitement about new lights overall. Its like a hit movie. All we see are copies and variations on the same theme for the next year or two. While we still see great innovation from the custom light makers and modders, new factory lights now seem to ride on the coat tails of previous success stories. How many Fenix type clones have come on the scene? I've already lost count.
Am I wrong or has the industry just become more "cut throat" in the last couple of years. Maybe I would just make a poor businessman in the flashlight industry. I don't know. Your thoughts?

nuggett

Enlightened
Factory lights got me interested in flashlights at first, but modding is where the excitment is in the long run.
I would have expected Surefire to come out with a LED E2d, a rechargable E2d, a rechargable M6, a 2 stage L4,and perhaps a small twisty cr2. But these all have come from CPF modders, and its these guys who are the ones to watch.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree. With all the lights coming out in the past few months, it is hard to get really fired up about a specific model. I am however very interested in the X-3 and the Photon (assuming it does well on Lithium AA's).
I think it might be because diehard flashaholics expect too much out of a light. Once you've seen a HDS or something of that calibur it is going to take alot to impress you.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Fenix identified an unfilled niche and woke up the market with the L1P. Nothing except the custom TNC's were anything like it, at 3X the price. The recent spate of models is competitors trying to peel off their slice of that niche and Fenix trying to keep ahead of them with new models.

I had more than enough lights before, but the L1P breakthrough tickled me so now I have a half-bucket more and that itch is scratched. I'm probably "fatigued" (my budget certainly is) until someone else finds another breakthough like that or a really good sale comes along (can't RESIST those sales...).

BTW, Fenix is a relative newcomer and - with our special CPF distribution channels - has shown itself to be a sophisticated, tough, and agile competitor. I note that the great majority of recent lights are from Fenix, and each one is a serious, well built attempt to dominate a segment of the flashlight market, as the original L1P did.

If these guys ever get it together to manufacture and sell in volume to Walmart or Target (remember how the Dorcy 1AAA dropped to half it's previous price with no shipping when Walmart carried them?), they could become the Google - or at least the Apple - of flashlights.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I'm 'fatigued'. Most of my flashlight needs are filled by four lights: Fenix L0P and L1P, EternaLight ErgoMarine and a Streamlight ProPoly 4AA Luxeon. I'm into hunker-down mode for about a year or so or until I simply can't resist the next breakthrough.

I'm looking forward to what people will do with the K2.

Last edited:

frisco

Enlightened
I think it is quite exciting since most of my flashlight needs fall into this class/size of light. My favorites are L2P/nekomane CR2, JetBeam/14500, P1 rCR123

frisco

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if I'm "fatigued", but I'm pretty much done buying new flashlights, or at least I will be when my Jetbeam, Exolion, Proton, and Raw Ns arrive. Beyond that, there's really nothing out there that I have a desire for. Maybe an HDS U85GT if/when they finally come out, but that'd just be an upgrade from my U60XRGT.

I guess the one exception would be a big, incandescent monster like a Mag85 or ROP. I own 14 "real" flashlights (ok, 4 are "in the mail"), one is a bike light, and only 1 other is a 2 cell; all the rest are single cell lights. Nothing that can reach out and touch someone 100 yards away.

Otherwise, it'd have to be something rather new and amazing, something that my other 14 flashlights can't do, for me to buy it.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Planterz:I don't believe you've only got fourteen flashlights!!:crackup:

I think I'm also done...for now. I appear to have gone back in time a couple of years, I now no longer EDC my Fenixes or Surefires or various Nuwais, Pelicans, Dorcys, Maglights, or led upgrades.

I'm happy with an ARC AAA-P on lanyard, Arc +4 on belt, that's it! - the fewest lights I have carried for an age! (And occaisionally my new mint ARC LS first run cyan! I will stop mentioning it!).

Now if only I can keep this abstinance up for a couple of months I may be able to afford a new car!

'Course I do have three or four bucketfuls of lights in my Living Room when the mood takes me!

... no one told me when to run!...

mdocod

Flashaholic
I feel fatigued trying to keep up!! hehe..

I have a wide assortment of great lights, all of which are budget type, but that fill all the potencial fields, from sub 5 lumen pocket lights, to 3000 lumen HID.... but I still always crave more light, from a smaller package... I feel there is still a void- I want/need to build a 12,000+ lumen monster (LarryK14 style), and even then- i'm sure I will desire something bigger, something better...

trying to keep up with all the new lights coming out, is also very tiring... I agree, it's a drain...

Now that I have an assortment of the current LED technology here, I think I will hold out for a major advancement. When 250+ lumen start coming out the head of an affordable single high-power LED flashlight(regulated, and still efficiant)... I'll definetally be buying!

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nyctophiliac said:
Planterz:I don't believe you've only got fourteen flashlights!!:crackup:

ARC AAA-P on lanyard,
Oops, 17. I forgot my AAA lights (2 Arcs and an L0P).

Light & Motion Vega (LuxIII bike light)
HDS U60XRGT
McLux III PD TWOJ Slate
McLux III PD TYOJ Slate
Fenix P1
Fenix L0P
DSpeck Fire~Fly III
Arc AAA-P x 2
CR2 Ion Al-Bronze
Surefire A2
Jil 1.3W UV
Jil DD Intelli (w/UWOJ on order)
Orb Raw Ns (on order)
Exolion (on order, w/UWOJ on order)
Jetbeam Jet-1 (on order)
Photon Proton (on order)

Not the most expansive collection, but I think it's fairly respectable.

Last edited: