No matter what you believe take a moment...

cslinger

Enlightened
No matter what you belive about the current state of the worlds affairs, take a moment to think about all those who have died for your freedoms. I know this forum has members from all over the globe but you have all had brave folks die for your freedoms. Just take a scant second to at least think about them.

As an American we have lots of folks going in harms way right now that we need to at least send a prayer for. No matter your political beliefs, no matter your stand on the current world there are folks out there fighting for the whims of politicians who need to be at least remembered and prayed for on this day.

So for this day lets put aside our political differences and give thanks to those who shed blood so that we could disagree about what is right and what is wrong this day.

Chris

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree wholeheartedly. Political differences have no place being discussed today... What we need to remember is people died for us to live in the USA like we do today. People that had fathers, sons, mothers, and sometimes grandchildren. Take a moment and think about that.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just finished watching a special on Arlington Memorial Cemetary and the heroes, some well known, most not, that are laid to rest there.

While on Christmas leave from Army training at Fort Knox, I made a trip to visit D.C. and Arlington a decade ago. It is a reminder that the good fortune of the United States in the year 2006, when millions of people would risk their lives every year just to immigrate here, is not due to natural resources or good weather. It is from the aggregate series of risks and sacrifices made by men and women of the military serving a democratic government.

Whether a war or combat action was popular then or now doesn't diminish the sacrifice of those who served. U.S. soldiers don't choose their fights.

I'm not big on symbolism, and hope those who support honorable troops of this nation and our democratic friends, will do so in a way that has a real world effect. If we don't, attacks like 9/11 will continue and go unanswered.

maverick

Enlightened
110% agreed! I'm not American, but I think that no matter which country you're from, there are bound to be people who've sacrificed their lives through the years for their nation's way of life. Taking a step back and looking at the big picture, things could be worse, a lot worse in fact, if our privileges weren't defended. Although I acknowledge all this, I'll be the first to admit that I'm often guilty of taking things for granted. I don't think there are any "rights" in this world, only "privileges" which were earnt with the blood of those before us.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree, I wished and tried to join all branches on the military, nat guard, etc, but the disability gets in the way. I know other countries make it required to attend the military and I think the same should be here to help defend this great country. THanks to those to serve, not everyone is required to serve and can freely, openly comment on it either way.