New U2- now with only 5 levels

Protaeus

Enlightened
Hey guys,

after I recieved my U2, I thought all was good, but today I noticed that it only had 5 levels, not six. It takes an even amount of twist to get to all the levels except betweem level 3 and 4, which takes twice as much twist. Level 3 makes a big jump from 2. I have tried stretch out the end tabs and the spring at the front to no avail.

I have tried using several sets of new surefire cells, 2 raw LG 18650 cells and one of AWs 17670 Cells - all producing only 5 levels of light, not 6.

Does anyone have any possible solutions? I dont particularly want to send the light away, considering that I live in Australia and it is perfect in every other way.

Thanks

edit: I just tried it with primaries and it only has 4 levels. With the LG rechargeables have 5 levels.

?????

Last edited:

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Something definitely does not sound right here, I recently got another U2 and I noticed there are some differences between the old and the new(smoothy selector, plastic sleeve and a slight delay when changing the levels), but no levels were lacking in the new light.

For two new 2 primary CR123s, you should see all 6 levels of light and you might see fewer levels when the batteries are semi-depleted, but this should not occur with new set of batteries.

cy

Flashaholic
try U2 with 2x fresh primary CR123 and see if you get 6 levels.

jtice

Flashaholic
Even with half dead cells, the higher levels are what you loose,
not ones in the middle.

I like that, I use that to test if my cells are getting low,
if I cant hit level 6, then I know they are starting to drop off.

~John

Protaeus

Enlightened
yeah...its really wierd because Im pretty sure the top level is working fine, its just that Im missing a level between 2 and 3 when using rechargeables and Im missing an additional level after level 3 when using primaries

I asked my brother too and he reckons that the jump between 2 and 3 wasnt as large yesterday.

At the moment the jumps between 4 and 5 is barely noticeable.

I'll see what surefire has to say. I sent them an email.

Its not too much of an issue, seeing that the highest and lowest settings are there when using both primaries and rechargeables, but I'd still like to fix it if I can. Perhaps my other light will arrive then at least I still have an EDC.

Last edited:

Brangdon

Newly Enlightened
Is it possible you put rechargable Li-Ion 123s in it? I think if you put too high a voltage in a U2, the switch is the bit which breaks first, and it sounds like you tried lots of different batteries.

Protaeus

Enlightened
Im pretty sure that I havent used rechargeable CR123s considering that I do not have any in my possession......

I have used titanium CR123as' (old ones), surefire CR123a's AW's 17670 and LG 18650s.

Looks like it'll need to be RMA'd, but seeing as it still works on highest and lowest modes, I think I will keep it until my other U2 decides to turn up (4.5 weeks and still counting).

I still think that the U2 is a beautiful light!

Thanks for the help guys.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Protaeus said:
Im pretty sure that I havent used rechargeable CR123s considering that I do not have any in my possession......

I have used titanium CR123as' (old ones), surefire CR123a's AW's 17670 and LG 18650s.

Looks like it'll need to be RMA'd, but seeing as it still works on highest and lowest modes, I think I will keep it until my other U2 decides to turn up (4.5 weeks and still counting).

I still think that the U2 is a beautiful light!

Thanks for the help guys.

li-ion use voids warrenty!

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey it sounds like they sent you mine.

I had level 1,2 and 6,6,6,6 (low being 1, high 6)

It took 12 weeks to get it replaced. I say return it where you bought it and let them deal with it.

Latest posts