UltraFire® 3W 1xAA Flashlight 602A, 3v ?

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to the datasheet, the ZLed's VF (and binning structure) is very similar to Lumileds. The LED can take 3V fine, it's the boost circuit that may not be able to handle the high Vin.

HiltiHome

Enlightened
abvidledUK said:
Anyone tried 3v, 3.6v battery in this torch yet ?

I made (very) short test with DLG 14500 LiON. The meter reading was 2,55A.
This is way too much for the LED.

Walt175

Enlightened
I tried a 3v AA in mine. It got hot FAST! I stopped the test after only a minute.

Sure was bright though....:naughty:

chanamasala

Enlightened
I tried a 3v AA(not 3.7v) too and it is really bright. My question is:

Does the boost circuit increase voltage even if it's higher than 1.5v? Or will it go into direct drive? Or does it depend on the circuit design? Can I damage the circuit too from using higher voltage, or will I just mainly zonk the led?

I may just run it on the 3v and see what happens as I have an old L1P led hanging around.

Turbo_E

Enlightened
3V AA's are worthless. i tried one in a china Xnova clone (8LED) it was even dimmer than the 1.5v AA.

i then used the tube from a 2AA xnova clone with the head from the 1 AA light...

wow it was sure bright.

if someone can mill up a 2 AA tube for the ultrafire, it should be spectacular.

Last edited:

chanamasala

Enlightened
Turbo_E said:
3V AA's are worthless. i tried one in a china Xnova clone (8LED) it was even dimmer than the 1.5v AA.

This isn't one of those low-discharge ones. This is one of the two from the innards of a CRV3 photo lithium battery.

1.5v Lithium top
3.0v Lithium bottom

15v.jpg

30v.jpg

Walt175

Enlightened
Yup, 1/2 a Duracell CRV3 photo battery. I use them in my Jetbeam, and it kicks butt! MUCH brighter then regular AA lithiums. I picked up 2 2 packs from eban for $15. Figure 8 3v AA's will last me until I get my CR123 body.

This was the battery I tried in my Ultrafire.

chanamasala said:
This isn't one of those low-discharge ones. This is one of the two from the innards of a CRV3 photo lithium battery.

1.5v Lithium top
3.0v Lithium bottom

15v.jpg

30v.jpg

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
chanamasala said:
I tried a 3v AA(not 3.7v) too and it is really bright. My question is:

Does the boost circuit increase voltage even if it's higher than 1.5v? Or will it go into direct drive? Or does it depend on the circuit design? Can I damage the circuit too from using higher voltage, or will I just mainly zonk the led?

I may just run it on the 3v and see what happens as I have an old L1P led hanging around.

As I mentioned earlier (my posts seem to often get ignored...hmm...maybe I should learn from that), yes, the circuit can get damaged. What gets damaged and/or damaged first (and how each component will behave) will depend on the specific components and design. The LED can take the voltage, but how much current is limited by the design of the LED die and the heatsinking (you'd be amazed at how much current can pass through silicon die the size of these large LED die if you kept their temps down). The circuit, it depends. Many LED driver circuits (which are current regulated) have max input voltages of about 3.2V...so, fine on a 3V, but you probably don't want to do it for long on a 3.7V. However, I doubt the UF has a current driver, more likely a voltage regulator which typically (not always) can tolerate higher input voltages. If it's just a voltage regulator (likely a boost converter), it will continue to boost the voltage from the 3V because the LED's VF is still higher.

Walt175

Enlightened
Randy Shackleford said:
about the 1/2 CRV3: do you need to add a top pole bottom to the positive end ?

Depends on the flashlight. I didn't have to do anything for my Jetbeam or the Ultrafire. It didn't make contact on Waion's Luxogen.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, hows the light over all.

I thought it was concluded that a 3 watt led light from the same Chineese website was unable to get enough amperage from 2 aa cells to drive properly, now they got one that runs on one battery?

Randy Shackleford

Enlightened
Dropped a 3V AA from a CRV3 in it. Nice. :rock:

Almost twice the brightness @ ~1.83 mAh

P.S. new Energizer CRV3 have two 3V AA's in them now. EDIT: mAh capacity below

Last edited:

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Randy Shackleford said:
Dropped a 3V AA from a CRV3 in it. Nice. :rock:

Almost twice the brightness @ ~1.83 mAh

I've just tried 3v 14500 Lithium from CRV3, increase in brightness by 2.5 stops

ie 4 times as bright.

This measures brighter than a standard L1P, L2P, Ultrafire 601 with nimh or alkalines.

Similar currrent, 1.82a, with nimh 1.51a, alkaline 1.30a

ie 3v Lithium=1,820ma, nimh=1,510ma, alkaline=1,300ma

Longbow

Enlightened
Inorder to make a meaningful comparrison with other lights please mention brightness differences in lux/meter rather than "stops".