Flashlight Recommendations........

Happy T

Newly Enlightened
New kid on the block looking for some recommendations. I'm in awe at the advances in flashlights and feel like a kid in a candy store here. Let me prefix my request for recommendations by saying some of you seem to talk in a foreign language when you get going about a light. :lolsign: I'm trying to learn some of the lingo and what mods actually blows up or melts so be gentle with me.:grin2:

I do a lot of duck hunting which puts me in damp and wet places. There is no end to things you "run into" when hunting in a marshy enviroment. Alligators and snakes are not uncommon along with plenty of mud. Alligators can be spotted from far off by shining light at them as there eyes will glow red in the dark. Snakes are not usually seen until you walk up on them and even then, without good light, you may never see them. As you can see a light with good lum close in as well as great throw would be idea. Small better than large and weight is a factor since I'd be carrying it while trying to walk in swampy mud. Will consider some weight trade off for a more efficient light either in output or runtime. Rechargable would be good if I could get a good hour+ out of it.

I believe in buying good equipment so $ is not part of the equation, but, weighing the benifits vs the cost is important. I prob would not want to buy a $250 light that covers all my whimms if I can find a $50 light that will satisfy 95% of them. Of course that works both ways.... I don't want to spend $ for a light when $$$ would be what I really need.

I think I listed all my wish list requirements..... I appreciate any and all suggestions.

Oh yea, almost forgot, the wow factor. Don't want to forget the wow factor...... you know, when I show up with my light and everyone else suddenly feels somewhat insufficient. ;)

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello HappyT:)

Welcome here at this great forum:grin2:

I tell you my thoughts. I think your light should be waterproof. So a dive light could be the right one. A single Led-light is not be able what you want (perhaps a X-bin, but not easy to get).
So it should be a multiple one (I have a problem with incands about the runtime).

The first idea I had during reading your post was a Barbolight U-09 or U-15.
Here exist a groupbuy:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/118323

And this lights have a woww-factor, and they are rechargeable with the runtime you are looking for.

I hope, this helps

Best regards

_______
Tom

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are looking for a cheaper option you should check out the Streamlight 4AA Luxeon or the Streamlight 3C Luxeon. Both of them have great throw and a very nice beam overall. The 4AA is more popular because of its smaller form factor and it can stand on it's tail, but the 3C has more output and more runtime as well. Both of them are very reasonably priced.

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
You want the Surefire U2 Ultra. Waterproof, very bright with decent throw in a small package that can take rechargeable batteries. Run-time is at least an hour. Can be more with the right batteries. It also has a momentary tailcap clicky switch which would be tremendously useful for your application. Since you are in a relatively harsh environment, LED is recommended over incan as the latter is not as shock-proof as the former. In terms of "wow" and making your friends feel inadequate..... well, the U2 will do just that. Look around for some dealers around here who will give you DEEP discounts on Surefires....

WP

Last edited:

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
WP just made a good recommendation! I'm a hunter and I really like my L4 with 17670 for a walking light but it doesn't have the throw you might need. The U2 would be about ideal imho.

Happy T

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. A questions about the Barbolight.... does it get a lot of heat build up when used out of the water? I purchased a dive light last year, an Ikelite PCm, that really disappointed me. I understand the Barbolight would be on a different level but the few dive lights I've seen recommend not running them for long durations out of water.

Comparing the barbolight 09 and SF-U2 ultra I see several trade offs. Size and weight for extra light in the 09. Multiple light output levels in the U2 makes it more versatle along with it being quite small which I like.

Hmmmm, decisions decisions......... damn me for ever finding this forum.

carrot

Flashaholic
I would recommend the Surefire A2 Aviator. Simpler operation than the U2, and it has a combination of low-flood and high-throw. Very useful little light, but if you're going to need more runtime on a higher brightness than "low mode" can offer, you may be better off with the U2.

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seeing your delema (which I had several years ago) I would probably go with a Surefire G2.
Its cheap (~$30) relatively water-resistant, nice quality, nice flood and throw.. but it has a 1-hour runtime..
-tom

pkennethv

Newly Enlightened
I would recommend the Surefire A2 Aviator. Simpler operation than the U2, and it has a combination of low-flood and high-throw. Very useful little light, but if you're going to need more runtime on a higher brightness than "low mode" can offer, you may be better off with the U2.

As I was reading the the first post I was thinking to myself.... A2 and U2 sound great but I'll bet that Carrot would have already recomened A2-I wasn't dissapointed.
Yep, I think that the A2 or U2 are great. One thing you might want to consider is some (most, I think) people don't like the depth perception from LED lights. If you don't know what I mean you can take a look at the beamshots at the bottome of:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/107943 The picture with the L4 seems to be more "blury" than the A2's and E2's. I am one of those "strange" people that am tempted to say that I actually prefer LEDs outdoors, but for color renderation-definately incans. An other thing is that you can put rechargables U2 but not A2. but if your going to be away from home most of the time you use it then I guess i won't really matter. like it was said earlier SF LEDs don't have to best throw but it's not horrible. If you really needed more throw I think the L6 would be better, on the other hand it's size may or may not be a problem for you and it only has 1 stage. You get great battery life though.

-----ken-----

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello HappyT:)

The optimum light don't exist. All lights have their compromises.
The Barbo 09 is build very reliable and robust, so it has no regulation and no different brightness levels. You can use it without problems outside the water.
The light output and throw is not comparable with the SF U2.

Imo the U2 is too sensitive for your uses. It has a lot of features, which can get fail (turning the head in different positions for the levels, and this in wet and muddy conditions?) And another point is the throw. You told, you want to see the reflections of crocodiles.
IMO the SF-Led's are good lights for a distance to 20-30 meters. For a longer distance I would be glad to see more:)

If you want a good thrower, reliable and a long lasting light for the near, take a Barbo09 and perhaps a Fenix with 2-stages.

I'm sure you are be able to carry the extra lenght and weight of the Barbo:grin2:

Best regards

____
Tom

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
hikinhillary said:
I would recommend a AAA DORCY from Walmart for any and every need. It is all anyone needs in life. :whistle:

:whistle: indeed! The Dorcy AAA will be perfect for closely inspecting the inside of those crocodiles. :lolsign:

Cheers! :buddies:

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Happy T said:
New kid on the block looking for some recommendations. I'm in awe at the advances in flashlights and feel like a kid in a candy store here.

Around here, just make sure that kid is packing a LARGE piggy bank and plenty of shelf space. :D

Flashdark

Enlightened
Happy T,

Just my 2c. After owning almost every light that Surefire makes, I carry the U2 as my primary "utility" light. Seems to be the best of all worlds for now. Runs 50 hours on low, good throw on high, waterproof, excellent flood/spill in 6 levels with a "slimline" F-70 beamshaper filter cover on the front. Filter cover also keeps the lens clean in a difficult environment. Flip up the filter cover for distance/throw.

The new K2 Kroma coming out in a few months will have more versatility in the red/blue night-vision/blood-trail department, but far less than half of the versatility and runtime in the white-illumination area.

Thus, the U2 will still be the hands-down leader for a long time to come if you are looking for white-illumination versatility and runtime.

Hope this helps.

BombTec

Newly Enlightened
I know this is all way too confusing for anyone not too familiar with this place. My recommendation would be to stay away from LED. Color rendition and throw sound like are vital to your needs, those are the LED's downfall. If you're trying to quickly and accurately identify snakes by color and markings, you would not want any light that could in any way hinder your color perception. Also, in your usage, there may be a good probabilty of losing the light, as well a beating it up, therefore I'd be hard-pressed to spend more than a hundred bucks.

Officially I second CornKid's recommendation of a g2. Nice and small, good throw, incand color, great reputation, and only $30... Pick up some spare primary batts for a buck a piece and runtime is no big deal...

Happy hunting...

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am I the only one that thinks a headlamp would be exactly what Happy T needs for the situation he described? Not to mention even some of the inexpensive headlamps have features seen mostly only on high end handhelds, like multiple levels or choice between flood or spot. I have a U2 but I would use a headlamp for the task he described.

I would recommend the Princton Tec Apex:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/pt_apex.htm
or if you insist on a handheld the currently on closeout HDS B42XRGT:
http://www.hdssystems.com/EdcBasic.html

Asking the CPF guys what light you should buy is like asking car guys what kind of car to buy. Ultimately its a personal decision. I recommend reading the reviews and lurking and not posting till you have narrowed it down and have specific questions about models you like.

Since you are new see some reviews here:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/index1.html

and read the first article here:
http://www.hdssystems.com/Articles.html