LED Sculptures using Acetron Engineering Plastic

nerdtoy

Newly Enlightened
If you can get some Acetron or very high density Polyethelyne, it does a neat job at moving light. I used to make table coasters, towers, lamps, clocks and so on. The clock is an example below per someone's PM sent to me.
This is from my old site genlight which is no longer in operation. I am going to turn it back on though :)

The Acetron LED Clock.

The router table setup to cut the channel for the LEDs
routertable.jpg

The installing of LED and wiring.
installingleds.jpg

The finished product
finished.jpg

The below is a color fading LED table piece, my friend uses it to put center pieces on his table. It uses a PIC to color fade the different LEDs through the RGB spectrum.
colorfader.jpg

All this is old stuff but someone asked me about about it and I got a PM on an old mod so I figured I would post some pictures.

Acetron is engineering plastic, extremely dense and machinable like metal. You might be lucky and be able to find a local business that uses it and they may let you dig through their scrap bin, this is what I do to get mine.
I still have boards and slabs of the stuff. I have a single slab that is about 3 foot tall, 4 inches thick and 2 foot wide and weighs about 120 pounds :) Its heavy stuff. It is great for modeling or machining your piece to make sure you get what you want out the lathe or CNC rather cutting the metal piece first, cut it on the acetron to make sure everything is right. It is so dense that you can thread it or do anything you can do to aluminum :)

rgbphil

Enlightened
And so you can concentrate on your sculpture work rather than the tedium of programming PICs.....check out the RGBSPCHIP5 pattern generation chip from http://www.rgbsunset.com . It has five independant and programmable RGB channels (or 15 seperate PWM outputs) and is controllable from any RC5 type remote control. The RGBSPCHIP5 chips are available now....still fiddling around trying to get USB to work for the later chips I'm sorry.

Any questions or suggestions, email me from there or post/PM here.

Philip Pulle
(aka rgbphil)
RGB Sunset Productions
www.rgbsunset.com

billw

Enlightened
plastic cutting boards (the white ones) are usually UHMW PE, and look about
like the plastic you're using...

nerdtoy

Newly Enlightened
I have some of the material they use for cutting boards, its VHDPE and it comes from the same source I get the Acetron. The thing is, the Acetron is the best really, it will dull your knife though. I made a cutting board for a friend here who has a really (had sorry) popular Itallian joint, I used Acetron for it and warned him about using his good knives, it mainly for the cleaver cutting bone and stuff like that.

I used a lot of it to build my robot, its used in the cogs for the track and as mounts for the motors and shafts, makes for a good bearing surface.
http://www.genlight.com/robots/progress.html :grin2: