Speaking of weaponized flashlights...

peacefuljeffrey

Newly Enlightened
I really doubt that the TSA would allow the "Porcupine" featured in a thread in the LED forum onto an airliner,

but I was wondering what they TSA has to say about either of the following:

- a 2D (or even larger) Maglite, which could easily be seen as an impact weapon (but generally doesn't raise alarms with police, etc. in the course of everyday law enforcement).

- a Mini Maglite attached to a set of keys, as it is so similar then to a Kubotan, which is forbidden.

Anyone have experience bringing either of these onto an airliner? For example, if I put my 2D MAGLED into my carryon knapsack, and could demonstrate that it works as a flashlight and has batteries and nothing else in it, would they allow it on board?

-Jeffrey

mrichelo

Newly Enlightened
i'm glad you started this new thread, cause I was gonna add something to the last one... but held my tongue. You were sharing your enthusiasm for your new badass toy, even though the thread veered into a debate, I figured I wouldn't chime in.

Anyone carry a freshly sharpened #2 pencil on an airplane recently??? Just curious. I think it's capable of doing some damage. Just a thought. Sketchpad, 1/2 dozen sharp #2s in the carry on... If worse comes to worse, It may be better than nothing.

They should also ban bandanas, especially red ones, if I get on a plane and see someone tying a red bandana around their head during the flight, I will lose my mind... and reach for my pencil.

Any of you LEO, military types on here, feel free to educate me if you think this is unrealistic as a weapon. I figure: eyes, throat. I don't think I'd want to get stabbed there with a pencil.

If I need a weaon on a plane, I'm thinkin' I'm probably in alot of trouble anyway... last ditch effort. Opportunity...?

Hope I'm not OT or offending anyone.

Regards,
Mark

peacefuljeffrey

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the links to the other discussions (looks like I have plenty of reading to do...).

Oh, that wasn't me showing off my new toy -- I was the one who caused political reality to intrude on the toy-fest by mentioning that I think weaponized flashlights (i.e. crenelated bezels) are an unnecessary beacon to those who would like to ban anything and everything from airline flights just because they could be used to hurt someone (you know, with no regard for whether it might be a GOOD GUY needing to hurt a BAD GUY).

-Jeffrey

mdocod

Flashaholic
when I was in middle school- I was stabbed by a recently sharpened #2... it was an accident- these two kids were messing around- tacling and pushing eachother around- I was walking by and one of them had the pencil in his hand, whipped around, and it went right into my hand- pretty deep too... 10 years later now and I still have a dark spot deep under the skin where some of the graphite stayed behind...

The schene in the Bourne Identity- when he uses that pen as a thrust weapon, hehe- gives me ideas, lol..

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
They should ban sandpaper, or anything with knurled texturing like some flashlights like Arc AAA's. The knurled texturing can be used to sharpen a dull metal object into a super deadly badass weapon (have you seen the demonstration of an Arc or Surefire knruling cutting into a Maglite?). Yes, it can be done. In the span of a typical flight, one can conceivably make a deadly weapon from a Surefire E2o using the "silverware" used in first class, and an innocuous flashlight. Yeah, that's right, let's ban anything and everything abrasive. Come to think of it, lets ban anything and everything made of metal just to be safe. No nail clippers, no nothing...

We may be fighting the war on terrorism but the sad truth is the terrorists already won :scowl:

Last edited:

Praxis

Enlightened
I think the current generation of "weaponized" flashlights (i.e. E2D or add-on TID rings) represent a fairly minor issue for security screeners compared to the truly evil pocket knife or laptop computer. On the other hand, a few changes to the E2D or other TIDs, such as sharpening the edges of the crenelations or making the spikes longer and sharper, could lead to problems with the TSA and generate more scrutiny at checkpoints. I still think flashlights in general, and the E2D in particular, do not generate much interest with security because they are perceived as nonthreatening. For better or worse, TSA doesn't have specific standards for flashlights. Batteries seem to fall under different rules.

The issue is certainly important. Expect to see airport-style TSA screening on trains and busses in the next couple years. How that will impact flashlight carry remains to be seen.

RemingtonBPD

Enlightened
Face it...we could easily sit here and debate this issue over and over again. But, one thing remains, anything can be seen or used as a weapon. I think to keep harping on this "flashlight as a weapon" thing is really not that constructive. As a LEO I think I would be more concerned with suicide bombers now than a beating with flashlights....that's more of a topic to be concerned with.

peacefuljeffrey

Newly Enlightened
RemingtonBPD said:
Face it...we could easily sit here and debate this issue over and over again. But, one thing remains, anything can be seen or used as a weapon. I think to keep harping on this "flashlight as a weapon" thing is really not that constructive. As a LEO I think I would be more concerned with suicide bombers now than a beating with flashlights....that's more of a topic to be concerned with.

I am not concerned with someone like you who is an LEO with a head on his shoulders. I am concerned with the bureaucratic IDIOTS who are "in charge" of making decisions like, as we now have, no pocket knives or even plain cigarette lighters on airline flights, even though these rules will not make anyone any safer.

The people who make the decisions about what rules we have to live under are essentially unaccountable, and if their decisions are utterly stupid, they are still decisions that restrict what we may do. In other words, the TSA would not have to have a GOOD REASON to ban flashlights -- it would just have to consider itself to have A reason. And that would be that. So making clear weapons out of flashlights (someone referred to them looking like a Klingon weapon) is a good way to DRAW NEGATIVE ATTENTION toward flashlights. We will not have anyone else to blame when the TSA throws the baby (Inova T1 or similar) out with the bathwater (Porcupine, etc.).

WE here understand that "anything can be a weapon," but the more things we bring to the attention of those who don't realize that, the more things will be banned. And yes, there is an insane patchwork of things that ARE or ARE NOT banned "weapons" with regard to airline travel. You wanted a government bureaucracy to make sense?

In the meantime, I just think that it would be sensible for us to keep a low profile instead of some dude presenting a Porcupine to a TSA screener with a high school education and a lot of nonsensical "travelers-are-the-potential-enemy" government programming crammed into her tiny head...

-Jeffrey

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never worry about the rules, they do not change and they only need to be followed.

As it was mentioned, I worry about the one power tipping moron that wants to take my light.

Give me my U2 or give me death!!!!!!

batman

Enlightened
I think bare hands is more effective than an impact bezzled flashlight or #2 pencil in case a bad guy is on the plane threatening to harm people. I say that because it's easier to strike and penetrate into the eyes/throat with your knuckles and fingers from any angle.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've traveled with multiple 3D and 4D Maglites in my carryon with no questions asked.

How about a nice metal bodied pen, one of those cool titaniums would work great, along with a fine tip filler?

Naw, the truth is that people have all gone nuts! I say give everyone a handgun, then see who really has the guts to try a takeover!

BTW, the explosive decompression due to a handgun bullet going through a window or wall of a jet airliner has been essentially completely debunked.

Bill

slind1

Newly Enlightened
Bartenders have gotten away with a bar towel wrapped around an ashtray for years. I suspect you could create a reasonable facimile with a tube sock and a pocket full of change...

peacefuljeffrey

Newly Enlightened
Manzerick said:
I never worry about the rules, they do not change and they only need to be followed.

As it was mentioned, I worry about the one power tipping moron that wants to take my light.

I sure could use an explanation of what you mean by "the rules do not change"...

They sure as hell DO change. Try getting on board a flight now with a Spyderco Delica in your back pocket.

-Jeffrey

moondog049

Newly Enlightened
"Any of you LEO, military types on here, feel free to educate me if you think this is unrealistic as a weapon. I figure: eyes, throat. I don't think I'd want to get stabbed there with a pencil."

yep, been using less than 2" pencils in booking for a while!!! I don't think hands can disable as fast a pencil stuck in your throat and wiggled around a bit. I think its Calibrer Press that puts on a survival course showing vids of actual incidents where everyday items have injuried PO's :touche:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Greetings moondog049 and Welcome to CPF!

A friend of mine got stabbed in the neck with a pen while he was doing some paper work at the precinct! :huh: He lived, but did not see it coming other than he grabbing the woman's arm before passing out.

dca2

Enlightened
slind1 said:
Bartenders have gotten away with a bar towel wrapped around an ashtray for years. I suspect you could create a reasonable facimile with a tube sock and a pocket full of change...
So now we've got to fly naked with paper money? :ohgeez: I guess I need to work on my belly fat so I can stash my bills :dedhorse:

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think we should be issued a weapon upon boarding.. like stunguns. Who's gonna take over a plane with 200 tasers aimed at their jewels.?

EVAN_TAD

Newly Enlightened
I hand carried my 6 piece porcupine set and the Beast without any problems. Does anybody else have that many?

U2
L2, 1st and 2nd gen
two A2
L6