Can you recommend a good drop in led for a SF G2?

dmz

Enlightened
Can you recommend a good drop in led for a SF G2? Is there a reliable clickie mod for a G2?

dmz

Enlightened
Why have so few people on this board purchased a drop in led for their SF G2?

Is it too expensive for an economically priced flashlight?

Are there problems with the drop in led for a SF G2?

Kevin K

Newly Enlightened
I've got one in my G-2. Very slight blue tint, almost HID like, great beam.
One of my favorite flashlights. Mine also works without the extra spring, the head screws down almost all the way with a small gap about the thickness of a postcard.

litho123

Enlightened
you can canabalized the tailcap clickie from a Garrity 2AA flashlight and use the guts of it for the G2. It's what I've been using for years. It's easy! and costs under 10.00.

It's a reverse clickie...the light won't come on until you push & release the button.

The link is...
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ead.php?t=30850

The OLD Garrity 2AA lights has the clickie in the tailcap which is the one to get. Let me know if I need to grab one and ship it to you.
I have the BOG 3W module and like it alot. Combined with the clickie mod, it makes for a very nice utility light with longer runtime to boot.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a G2 also with the G&P 3W drop in, very good light, I also purchased a SF Z49 clickie - which is a bit bulky but works fantastically, I believe the Z58 tailcap will also fit and may be a bit smaller?

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Flavio's 3W and 5W drop ins are fabulous, great tint and nice flood. Have the BOG 3W in a tan G2 with LOTC and the 5W is on a C2 body. Great stuff!

daloosh

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
dmz said:
Why have so few people on this board purchased a drop in led for their SF G2?

Is it too expensive for an economically priced flashlight?

Are there problems with the drop in led for a SF G2?

I won't, simply because I appreciate the G2 for what it is - a moderately priced, simple, lightweight and bright incandescent that is pretty much indestructible. I have no problem dumping $70 or $80 into a mini-mag to improve it (even more into a big Mag) but it just feels wrong (to me) to do anything to a G2.

Jon

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
But Stonedog, the 3W dropin is in concordance with that philosophy. It's not much more money than a spare lamp assembly, and just as easy to install. Might as well have the best of both worlds (incan and led) and eat your cake, too!

S'funny, I often look at the money poured into my Minimags over the years and just have to laugh! It beats crying!

daloosh

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one for a brinkmann leegnd xl and maxfire. I had to grind the head of the legend to make it fit.

Now the bog module fits in a 3 cell ultrafire light. Seems a bit brighter and stays longer.

h_nu

Enlightened
I also use the Bugoutgear 3W drop-in and like it. Since my G2 is one of the older model and can't lock out the tail cap it now stands bezel down in a kitchen cabinet unused. I bought a Brinkman Maxfire and another drop-in for it.

sniper

Enlightened
What does the BOG 3 watter do for brightness and run time? better, worse, the same?

Inquiring minds want to know. :)

Kevin K

Newly Enlightened
It's not as bright as the original G-2 lamp assembly but, it's pretty darn good. Don't know about the run time yet. I think it's supposed to run about 3 hours on a set of batteries.

dmz

Enlightened
Is it half the brightness of the original G-2 lamp assembly?

jarobi

Enlightened
dmz said:
Is it half the brightness of the original G-2 lamp assembly?

To my untrained eye, it seems about the same. I think the review says the output is about 1/3 less. You lose the throw and color rendition of the P60 lamp assembly, but you get a really good beam with a lot of spill; more than double the runtime; and an emitter that doesn't blow when you drop the light. I went through five P60's on mine, two of them were nearly new and blew because of the light being dropped.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/gp_p60lux3.htm

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never seen a stock p60 lamp, but its my understanding its like a stock 3d mag light. If thats the case, its brighter than a 3d mag light.

Latest posts