Central air acting up..

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
My home A/C is not working, the line going into my furnace are freezing up.. Solid ice.
Extensive research shows me this could indicate two problems, low freon or restricted airflow. When I run my furnace fan without air or heat I am certainly not getting the same airflow I typically do. I have a brand new air filter, all vents are open and I still don't seem to be passing much air through the furnace.. The fan is running strong and their are no visible blockages inside the furnace either..
I just don't get it..
One more day of 90 degree heat is all I can take..
I have never hired a contractor for anything, and I would hate to break down for something that seems so simple..

raggie33

*the raggedier*
im in same boat o im so about to lose my mind i hate the heat py .i can sleep when its 30f in my room no probs but i cant handle heat im about to sell my pc and rent a hotel for a few days i rather live ina a 10x10 room and have ac then in this house with out it.btw it sound slike low air flow to me to try to replace ac filter then check to see if coil is clean the evaprater coil which is the one in furnace usaly or air handler

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
sounds like a filthy A coil.
this could be easy to clean or an all day job tearing the whole thing apart to get access to it.
most common cause is running without a filter.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
The coils inside the furnace appear to be clean, to my eyes anyways.. I can see the odd dog hair on it though. Is the dirt build up something I would be able to see or not?
I can see the coils inside the furnace, i can gt at them enought to clean them, is that difficult? Mix a homebrew solution or is their a product that will yeild better results?
I sure do get miserable when it's hot..

raggie33

*the raggedier*
man i nerer thought it got cold in canada man they should give ya a break after the winter there .canada has hot women though lol

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
sounds like low freon to me, the coils have to be very filthy to freeze up a system... essentially almost completely blocking air flow.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pydpiper said:
When I run my furnace fan without air or heat I am certainly not getting the same airflow I typically do.

That makes it sound like the blower/fan is the problem. Low coolant (its probably not freon) won't cause a reduction in air flow. It will just make the air flow less cool. Plus, low coolant likely will cause the coil to turn into a solid chunk of ice that you would see if you are looking at the coil. By coil I mean the flat panel or A-frame shaped panel that cools off the air as the air passes over it.

So my vote is for a blower/fan problem. You could still have low coolant, but like I say that wont reduce the volume of air that gets moved. JMO.

cheers

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK..
After applying my mechanical engineering skills I realized that I was looking at the wrong side of the coils, it was the inside of the "A" I should have been looking at.. :whistle:
That is the last time I order a diploma from the internet. :)
So, after some brute force and a little cleaning I removed the thick layer of "stuff" from the inside of the "A" Coil, 70 degrees and dropping, airflow is restored..
Thanks guys, my family thanks you as well. :)

Raggie, don't let the country's name fool you, I live farther south than a good chunk of the US..

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now make sure you also get a good filter in place on that system!

Glad you're cooling down. We snapped from cool/damp to HOT/humid in ONE DAY here. That kind of a transition is pretty rough to take.

cy

Flashaholic
glad you figured it out.... clogged A-frame coil is a common issue.

superheat and subcooling are two terms one needs to know to truly understand refrigeration.

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not that this helps or matters or anything........but I just had to have my coil replaced on my furnace. It was leaking freon very bad. $650 to replace. OUCH. But I can't live without A/C.
spoiled:sssh:

Latest posts