Minimag LED drop ins

pkennethv

Newly Enlightened
I've taken a look at the minimag mod guide on CPF somewhere-the one with 11 000 something words and 200 pics, but I only see 2 simple "mods". I was wondering if any of you guys knew anymore something like the Nite Ize conversion kit. I just want a simple change that would take less than a few minutes. I would like something bright (as bright as possible) Any thing with over an hour of battery life is good for me--I am used to SureFire and thier runtimes:lolsign:
I know (or at least I think i do) that I will not get the same outputs out of an 2X AA minimag, but for some reason I suddenly have an urge to get an other Mag other than my Solitair,which for some reason hasn't working for a while.

-----ken----

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't remember if the sale is still on but I'd get a SMJLED drop in kit. It's like $5 comes with a reflector, and SMJLED. Great output and brings the life up to something crazy, like 2 days on a Lithium AAs.

trailstoride

Newly Enlightened
I've ordered the SMJLED drop in kit for myself
naughty.gif

Go to Lambda's site http://home.mchsi.com/~lambda_lights/smjled.htm for more info. I have the SMJLED PR2 bulbs and must say they are a very acceptable brightness. It is brighter than the stock bulb in a minimag. Just a tad dimmer than a stock PR2 bulb in a 2D Cell flashlight with brand new batteries, and much brighter than the stock PR2 with batteries that are used for a short time (~ 30 minutes)
icon10.gif

For maximum brightness get one of Dat2zip's madmax or badboy drop in sandwiches. His store is http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/index.php I've got a madmax from him about 2 years ago and the new ones are even brighter. My 2 year old madmax is definitely brighter than a 2D Cell flashlight and runs about 2 hours with alkalines in a minimag. Easy installation.
icon7.gif

Last edited:

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are lots of simple mods-

NiteIze, SMJLED, Terralux TLE5, even the sammies are easy to do. However the TLE5 is relatively expensive and the sammies are real expensive, if you can find one the Fenix is less expensive than the good sammies. The SMJLED is a good mod- easy, real good runtime, gives a little bit of throw, but I don't think it will challenge a Luxeon for throw.

Around the house, the NiteIze and SMJLED are still real useful- they are good for looking in dark closets, under furniture, into the dark corners of your computer case, etc. They are also good for walking around in the dark so you don't run into things, whether inside or outside. But for looking at an animal sitting high up in a tree, they aren't so good.