What Led has the best throw

pilotmx5

Newly Enlightened
Currently have a a l2 and a g2 and would like another Led only that has the best throw. Considering a e1l or e2l and recently saw that the k2 coming out will have the TIR lense on it as well. Also i want to stay on the smaller side of things which is definetly ruling out an l6 and a l5, though i've never seen a beamshot of either.

Meduza

Enlightened
Absolutely best throw for a led light... Elektrolumens ELX-12-6D :D

twelve 27mm reflectors and twelve Luxeon III (44w) ;)

pilotmx5

Newly Enlightened
Looking for something pocket sized with excellent throw, (those elektolumens looks awesome) run-time is a consideration but most important is distance, size and brightness.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello pilot:)

Welcome here.:grin2:
What do you mean with "best throw". It's relative.

In this size you prefer I think you should take a look to a custom light with an U-bin and a McR 27 reflector. If you can get one, a X-bin with a larger reflector.

When the throw of a HDS-model is enough, take a look at this ones.

Best regards

____
Tom

pilotmx5

Newly Enlightened
By best "throw", i want a shaft of light, basically a flashlight that has almost no flood charecteristics. Something that can spot distant objects with no bounce back from surrounding objects. An LED version of a 6p with even a smaller hot spot is basically what i'm looking for.

nerdtoy

Newly Enlightened
pilotmx5 said:
By best "throw", i want a shaft of light, basically a flashlight that has almost no flood charecteristics. Something that can spot distant objects with no bounce back from surrounding objects. An LED version of a 6p with even a smaller hot spot is basically what i'm looking for.

Use an optical lens system like a collimator for a laser diode, that will work.

You can get a lens designed for that LED though, at worst you can buy a already production light from Lowes that uses the Luxeon and rip the lens from it.

You will have to get a thin collimating lens and test the focal legnth yourself but make sure the lens is the diameter of your bezel so you can build the tube for the collimator easily..

remember, if you bring it down to the narrow, you can get a funky looking spot - it will reproduce the image of the emitter on the wall so to speak.

Last edited:

FirstDsent

Enlightened
In the sub-MagLite class, the LED Logic Striker VG is the farthest throwing LED listed on FlashlightReviews.com. It is Large for a 2 X CR123 light, but it is still very small compared to a MagLight. It is $129.95. Here is the link:
http://ledlogic.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=28

For less than $50 (or even more), I am not aware of a better thrower than the "7W Golston 2 X LIR123A waterproof rechargeable" light from QualityCinaGoods.com.
http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/go....html?osCsid=e1958be4c1fd0bd992152f54cf145db8
This is the Golston light that has been discussed at great length on CPF. It has not been tested for output and throw on FlashlightReviews.com, but it is a very good thrower, and costs only $32. It easily lights up the tops of trees in the backyards of houses across the street. This is a couple hundred feet. It is much smaller than the Striker VG. Whether this is the light you are looking for or not, you should have one even if it is relegated to the trunk. It will outhrow either of your SureFires handily.

Bernie

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
For reflector based systems:

If you can find one, check out an Aleph 3 setup. This can be made into a 1x123 size and will be nice and small, albeit with a big head (hey you want throw, you need a big reflector!). They are discontinued now, but you can probably find the necessary parts in the B/S/T forums every now and then. The Aleph 3 is pretty much designed for throw. Use a U-binned LED.

Also a good thrower (and currently available) is the 27LT. It is pocketable and has decent throw and is built like a tank.

For TIR optics:

Surefire will be coming out with the K2 Kroma that uses a TIR optic. I haven't seen any beamshots of it yet, nor any reviews, but it stands a good chance of being a thrower.

Other than that, I'm not too familiar with lights with optics.

WP

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
FirstDsent said:
In the sub-MagLite class, the LED Logic Striker VG is the farthest throwing LED listed on FlashlightReviews.com. It is Large for a 2 X CR123 light, but it is still very small compared to a MagLight. It is $129.95.

Bernie

Or you can buy the same light from me for $20 less and have it a lot quicker. :)

The throw of the Striker is really amazing plus it's got lots of other cool features and is safe to use with RCR123A's.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
MattK said:
Or you can buy the same light from me for $20 less and have it a lot quicker.
The throw of the Striker is really amazing plus it's got lots of other cool features and is safe to use with RCR123A's.

I got mine from Matt, got it quick and the light is nice. It has momentary, low level, strobe, and throws like all git-out. Plus the color is warmer for better outdoor color and depth than my other LED's. My 6AA 2D Mag ROP is the only thing I have that out throws it and it's twice the size with less battery life.

I didn't know it could use RCR123's though! I have been using regulated 3.0 V RCR's so not to run it up to 8V on fresh batteries.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
gladius has decent through...

but so does the Streamlight ProPoly Luxeon 4xAA and its like $30

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I've always been impressed with the price and value of the StreamLight Propolymer 4AA Luxeon. It throws very well for the money. Hell, it throws well for twice the money. It and the Gladius have about the same throw, and the 4AA holds a table flat regulation curve for well over three hours.
The Gladius is a nice light too with very cool features. Now ..if it was less than $150...

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blindasabat said:
The Gladius is a nice light too with very cool features. Now ..if it was less than $150...

The Striker has pretty much all of the features and is well under $150.
Momentary, Strobing, Dimming, etc.

The StreamLight Propolymer 4AA Luxeon is undeniably a great light for the money but it doesn't exactly compare to a Gladius or Striker.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
MattK said:
The Striker has pretty much all of the features and is well under $150. Momentary, Strobing, Dimming, etc.
Exactly why I thought the Gladius needed to be cheaper for my uses. The extra low levels and true military grade toughness of the Gladius are worth it for some people, but the Striker is plenty good for me and... still out throws the Gladius.

The StreamLight Propolymer 4AA Luxeon is undeniably a great light for the money but it doesn't exactly compare to a Gladius or Striker.
Absolutely not. Different leagues. Just good for the money IF you don't already have lights that perform similarly. It's a good starter/utility light that you wouldn't be afraid to drop, get dirty, etc. I'd wouldn't take it in combat.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
vortechs said:
I just noticed this post. I followed the links and found the Striker on sale for $109.95
http://www.batteryjunction.com/ledlostvgtaf.html

Wow, that's a great price! I thought the Striker was extremely impressive when I had it during my turn in the Striker passaround. The throw on that thing is just incredible, really. The Golston is a great thrower, too.