Seeking advice on a "super torch"?

JD Spydo

Newly Enlightened
Being I have more or less become addicted to Surefire flashlights here in the last year I still have one more addition to my flashlight arsenal that I want to complete. I have seriously been looking at Surefire's 10X Dominator. All 500 lumens of that bad boy I would like to have for when I go ATV riding at night in the wetlands where I work.

We have a deer population there that is so much fun to spotlight ( not poaching) them at night and to watch them run in herds. I have been eyeballing this Surefire 10X Dominator for about 6 months now but I have been hesitant to pull the trigger. There are 2 hurdles that I just can't get over. #1 is the fact that the unit cost so much # 2 is the fact that they only rate this thing to run about 20 minutes per battery charge.

I just figure a bunch of you season pros and flashlight afficionados could probably give me some very valuable input on this one. If theres a better way to go then I want to know about. OK what's the scoop:)

Last edited:

maverick

Enlightened
Re: Seeking advise on a "super torch"?

If you are prepared to wait a little while, perhaps you can wait for AWR's rechargeable M6 regulated powerpack. His project isn't complete yet, but with the extension module and a 4800 pack, you should be able to get about a 1 hour run time using the HOLA which is 500 lumens. Another advantage you have using this method is that the M6 throws significantly further than the 10X since it has the turbohead. I have both lights and use/like the M6 more, the 10X is left plugged into my car as an always ready emergency light.

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
Way too much $$ for only 500 lumens IMO. I'd spend the money and build a super mag for just over $100 of get a 24 watt HID flashlight like the AE Powerlight for around $300. The AE Powerlight puts out 1300 lumens for about 2 hours and is fully rechargeable. Yeah, its bigger than the 10X but its still easy to carry. I carry mine at work 4 night out of the week. Or you could build a Mag 85 or various other super mag mods. I just built a mag 85 and love it. Its pretty crazy for a mag lite. Over 800 lumens out the front. Its brighter than the headlights on my vehicle. Rechargeable with a 30-40 minute run time. I'd seriously consider doing something like this than spending all that money and only getting 500 lumens. I like surefire, own an M3 but there are cheaper ways to get more light. JMHO

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
Been hearing lots of good things about the Pila GL4 (www.pila-usa.com). Runs on CR123 x 4 or rechargeables. Depending on what you run it on, you get 170 to 550 lumens. One of the biggest U.S. distributors I'm told is CPF's own www.jsburlys.com who features free U.S. shipping.

HTH

mdocod

Flashaholic
G&P just came out with a tactical lithium-ion rechargable light that runs longer than a 10X/M6, is rechargable- and from the beamshot comparisons over here https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/117716 looks to be as bright as as an M6...

oh yea- it's only about $85
http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?itm=GP-FL-547

sounds like there might be a group buy on these soon.... keep your eyes out... I personally want to see some more beamshot comparisons between that light and some more well known Surefires before pulling the trigger.

JD Spydo

Newly Enlightened
mdocod said:
G&P just came out with a tactical lithium-ion rechargable light that runs longer than a 10X/M6, is rechargable- and from the beamshot comparisons over here https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/117716 looks to be as bright as as an M6...

oh yea- it's only about $85
http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?itm=GP-FL-547

sounds like there might be a group buy on these soon.... keep your eyes out... I personally want to see some more beamshot comparisons between that light and some more well known Surefires before pulling the trigger.

I just looked at this G&P flashlight. I am impressed for the price. Can you buy extra sticks for it? Also can you give me the internet address for this company G&P so I can read up on this new 500 lumen flashlight. I do indeed want to check this out. Does anyone else here have any experience with G&P Flashlights?