Possible Cam Solution for Camless Reflector?

PhotonJunkie

Newly Enlightened
Hey all,

I'm the newbie here after finding a great deal on a Pelican M6 at the local Fry's and playing around with that for a while I said, WOW, I want more POWER and now...Here I am. This is a great forum! I am now on my way to a 2D Mag ROP!

Here is my question - I have a camless MOP from the SandwichShoppe on order and I still want to have beam to flood control. Has anyone thought of using 3/4" EMT cut to the same degree as the plastic original and JB Welding (It is heat resistant -albeit unknown amount) this to the end of the camless reflector making it a cammed version?

Thanks,

PhotonJunkie

Newly Enlightened
Sweet, I didn't even see that in here. There is some good ingenuity flying around here.

Thanks for the quick link.

Kryosphinx

Enlightened
IMO, the cam is essentially useless. You can get the same amount of useful (no donut) adjustment in just a couple turns of the head. Further adjustment results in a big black hole.

PhotonJunkie

Newly Enlightened
Hey Thanks Delvance. Glad to have found this forum.

I am hoping that the MOP that I have ordered from the sandwich shoppe supports the Pelican HI bulb without modding the bulb pedestal presently too. I saw that after it was en-route.:mad:

I'm not sure how it will play into it sight unseen - maybe the diameter of the hole is too small (.30?? inches) for the HI bulb?

Any ideas...

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are talking about one of the M2 reflectors from Sandwich Shoppe, the Pelican bulbs definitely do not fit.

PhotonJunkie

Newly Enlightened
Yes, unfortunately I am talking of that DonShock. Is there a way to modify the reflector somehow (i.e. drill out the hole slightly)? Or, am I stuck with a different reflector as my only option.

PhotonJunkie

Newly Enlightened
Thanks DonShock. That helps, but, I haven't found any decent instructions on pulling the bulb housing/switch out. (Please forgive the newb status) - I've found out by pulling the switch cap off, there is a hex screw (very small) that I think I can back out and that loosens the bulb housing??

Even though a 2D maglite is cheap enough, I'd like to find out how to do this without screwing it up. Thanks

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
It takes a 5/64" allen wrench. The set screw is all the way at the bottom of the hole in the switch. Loosen it up all the way. Make sure the button is also pushed in. The switch sometimes hangs up a little when you remove it for the first time. I leave the wrench in the hole and use it as a lever to pry the switch sideways to break it loose. Then the switch should slid out the back fairly easily. Make sure the switch button points up while you are pushing it out the back. If you flip it over, the button shaft will extend itself due to gravity and hang up on the edge of the switch button hole.

PhotonJunkie

Newly Enlightened
Alright, thanks again DonShock. I'm gonna give that a try. I got my parts today except for the Bora Lens in and fired this thing UP. WOW!! I need my polarized Sunglasses!!!

I can't keep it on long with the poly lens for now, but with all the rain we've seen, I really don't want all the bugs after this port-a-sun anyway:). Unless I can zap them! Geez, this thing can get hot (on the lens) too.

Thanks for the tip DonShock, I'll be doing that mod.