Job Hunting Revisted, lack of success with the improved me

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, I have to tell you guys I am rather disappointed in myself or the job market is fairly bad.

Since my last job hunt, I no longer use a wheelchair, depended on public transportation and have limited avaliability or have a beard. I re wrote my resume, updated all resume job hunting websites, got a car and can drive everywhere anytime unrestricted.

I am wide open to salary options, insurance or not, all shifts, weekend, holiday work and job titles.

So far, Ive faxed at least 12 resumes, answered a few emails from monster and applied to countless parts, mall stores, an elecrical apprentinship brotherhood thing and mart stores in my local area.

Ive had three interviews so far, one I was turned down at tarjay for a stock boy 3-11am. Another turns out to be going door to door to gain support for the environment and another a fork lift operator.

The fork lift one for not having a license is out and a waste of my time. The folks at the environmental one questioned me walking to knock on door to door with my cane and the electrical apprentenship one is wondered where is my transcript I was suppose to send that I requested the college to send.

Man, what gives? Worse to worse, my dreams of a company car or truck was CRUSHED by my boss. She told me when I asked, NO FREAKING WAY. Those where her exact words and that is rather unusual to hear from her.

I want to have at least a second job to bargain or walk from my primarly job, but so far, no dice.

Ive now lowered myself to call center jobs, not that I have received any emails like I have in the past to at least get something. I assumed a stock boy was the low of the low as those are late night or earlly morning positions.

Any ideas....

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
1/what is your job specialty?

2/ You must shave the beard. facial hair is not acceptable for corporate image other than audition for rock band or graphic artist job.

3/ Are you physically disable? Isn't there US law that forbid employer from discriminate disabled people? Canada has strictl law about this issue. If employer doesn't hire you base on your disability, you can sue the the company.

4/ Can you described to us what happened on previous interviews? I can evaluate how far you achieved.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like you may be responding to job ads blindly.
Focus on the jobs that are within your interests and skill set. The responses that you've received appear to be somewhat broad and unrelated.

If you have physical challenges that require ADA accomodations, it actually doesn't hurt to let the potential employer know about that ahead of time, and in some cases it may actually be to your advantage.

Having sent out 12 resumes would tell me that you haven't even started yet. It's not unusual for applicants to send out 200+ resumes these days. And applying for jobs that are not within your skill set, or for jobs where your skills excessively exceed the requirements is usually a red flag of desperation and that you would most likely leave as soon as you could find something better.

And if you have a chance to enter the IBEW apprenticeship program and can follow the instructions for submitting an application, it would be an excellent opportunity. Being able to read and comply with written instructions is imperative, you kind of need that skill when working with high-voltage electrical lines. ;)

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
12 resumes is nothing? Man, 188 to go.

At tarjay I was interviewed three times in an hour. It was by multiple people. I asked the first women who interviewed me and she said she would hire me. I used the excuse I wanted to work nights to get back to school, which is partly true as to why I wanted that job and about my qualifications or lack of.

Basically they had three positions, sales, cash register and stocking. I have no experience with handlingmoney or real sales, plus both were day time positions.

I can ace interviews. I loved being questioned, challenged and hearing my own voice. I smoked all the students in the classes at vcu as well as reynolds when it comes to role playing, interviewing, public speaking, etc.

brighteyes, I ve done a bit here and there. Ive managed 4 people, ran computer labs, built disability deviced for disabled folks, delivered newspapers, sales of truck equipment, customer service, worked with the disabled, call centers. I have no experience with food or cash so far.

I mainly look at the pay, hours and location before I apply and apply to stuff I am 110% sure I can do. Some people say I should apply for jobs I do not qualify for.

The disability thing is interesting. I am much more mobile with a cane vs wheelchair. The cane I can climb steps, go anywhere. The wheelchair is limited. Yet, it seems to draw more attention than a 300 lbs wheelchair with led lights on it.

The ibew thing worries me as they said in the video you can beunder ground in a trench or 60stories in the air. That maybe a but much for me. I told them it was on its way and will re-request it if needed. It looked up my alley as for education and experience requirements.I would bet money, this is a future for me of all Ive applied for.

picard, my speciality is problem solving and over engineering solutions to problems. I am somewhat good at social engineering too. I have had a short beard, like most where Ive interviewed. The guy next to me at tarjay had a beard as well as others at the call center Ive worked. Ive seen folks wear street cloths to interviews as well as visible tatoos, and jewerly. I do not wear jewerly or have any tatoos.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had an interview today as a manager trainee at a thrift store. It comes with a company car.

Will see how the campaign va thing goes Monday.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a second sunday paper this weekend and sent out 24 faxes and a few emails. I got quite a few calls and an interview every day this week.

I went to what I thought was a job for a 3rd shift assembly line worker. Turns out to be a temp agency. They treated me like the rest when I thought having multiple degrees with others who cant read map or own a car to drive would make me a shoe in. Turns out I had a voice mail after I left work today to call them regarding an evening position.

Who knew? Got a call back regarding an interview for an admin position and my experience with folks and disabilities. Glad to see theres a chance that experience may be of use.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been on the interviews last week. Was interviewed twice in all situations. One the lady rushed out the room to get the vic pres to talk to me.

I must have a way to charm women, but disappoint men is all I can think.

Got another paper, going to send out more resumies.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cobb

I am a technical recruiter in Phoenix and wanted to offer my help if you still need help. If you PM me your real name and confirm that you're on either Monster or Career Builder I will pull your resume and review it. I probably can't find you a job in Richmond but will critically review your resume and make suggestions.

Some quick tips that might be helpful

Make sure that you are networking to the max, do not rely just on adds in the paper or you will have a long search.

Use placement agencies or recruiters but let them know that you are only interested in jobs that the company pays the fees. Placement agencies may also have contract to hire positions, just understand that you probably will not have health benefits while you are in the contract period. I see more and more companies going this route, it's like try before you buy. Do not tell placement agencies that you are working with multiple agencies or they will not go the extra mile. When someone tells me that they are working with multiple agencies I will make a quick check to see if we have an open position but will not waste my time marketing that person.

Make sure that your resume has keywords reflecting your skills. When I search for candidates I search for keywords such as engineer or network administrator to give an example. I don't have time to read every sentence in a resume and normally will size someone up in less the 15 seconds. Only people who catch my eye will get a second look. The more keywords the more likely I will actually read a resume.

Pick the companies you want to work for and network in. Find out who the manager is for the position you want and call and talk with that person. Ask for there help and advice about how to secure a position with the company. If possible ask the manager if you can send them your resume. This is true with ads in the paper to, let that manger you will be working for send your resume to HR, it will get a second look.

Always send a cover letter with your resume.

Good luck with your search.

cyberhobo

Enlightened
The very act of job hunting is a cruel joke. The sting has been played on people for hundreds of years. They get you to run around looking, buying almost worthless newspapers (which make nice Hoover blankets), filling endless forms, writing resumes, making "contacts," getting references, running to job fairs, jumping through hoops, and all the while they peek outside of their windows smirking, laughing, elated with excitement as they watch the "job hunter" become skinnier, more helpless and destitute. They might even toss the job hunter a fake invoice to get them into manic mode. Then, and only then will they say we are not hiring or that the clothes you are wearing are five sizes too large and you need a shower. Oh, let's not forget the slipperiest of them all, "the computer is down!" ...And, let's hit it again maestro! No wonder so many are on psychiatric chemical stabilizers. We figured these phonies out decades ago!

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finding a good job can be very frustrating and can have the same mental stress levels of losing a loved one. People can easily lose self respect and if not careful can start down a very slippery slop. It's very important to have a game plan and if possible be around supportive people with a positive attitude.

When I moved to Phoenix I knew no one and had to start from scratch. One of the best things that I did was go to the city workforce connections center. This service could be called just about anything depending on where you are but it is a center supported by the city/county/state/federal government dedicated to helping people find jobs. They actually have class to help you with resumes and interview techniques. They even have computers connected to the internet so that you can research companies and look for jobs. I even had a job counselor who took a personal interest and helped me network into several interviews. Although ultimately the job that I ended up taking didn't come from that organization it was still a great help. I know several people who did get jobs from this program. What I liked about the center is that I was around people who were going through the same thing and I found it as a source for support. I'm sure that not all centers are as good as the one that went to but it is worth a try.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sent out 22 resumes, 1 response. THe response was selling massage creme that you bottle from 55 gallon drums to local spas and massage pollars. THe paper said 2pm-9pm was the hours. They said the ad was incorrect and it was a day thing.

Got a call from enterprise about a managerial trainee position. THe call ended 3 minutes later when after finding I had a spotless driving record that it required you to hold a license for at least 3 years. I spent nearly 3 hours working on the website filling out the form to apply for it. THats a question they should of included and would of save a lot of time on both parts.

Got another call back to the trucking company for another interview. Very quick interview.

Saw a sign out front of a new best buy. Went inside and they referred me to the website. The one that requires you to go inside to filling a form about background checks, drug testing, and the clerk swears you just answer yes to the website and move on.

Lebkuecher, Cobb is part of my real name, first part is Mark and Ive done a bit of that you suggested. I am interested to hear your results, Ive considered firing up the old desktop and registering as a business to see what others look like and how they are sorted for a search. Does it pay to upgrade your resume so it pops up higher in the rankings? Ive picked 2,3rd shift and lowered my hourly expected pay to 8.50 an hour. PMing other info.

Ive been through the ringer at two career centers at a community and university. Ive aced mock interivews, many folks never make it that far. They lock up, do not answer straight forward questions correctly, not to mention trick ones and most important lack experience. Until a month ago I lacked a drivers license, car and prompt transportation during business hours, none outside of that. I use to use a wheelchair to get around and needed large print to read. I use a cane now and leave it in the car on every interivew. Its amazing the few I used it on, how I am questioned about it, no questions about the wheelchair.

One thing they caution you on are buzz words, as many ignore them since they are used and over used so often. It also seems no one has a set format, its on everyones opinion.

Ive been to a few agencys. One nothing ever came of it. The second was a misleading ad in the paper for 2nd shift assemblers to staple documents together for 13 bucks an hour. I googled the address and it turned out to be another agency. I was there 2 hours, many folks were in the similar shoes I was as they could not drive, used the bus line, others had poor grammar in their speech, demeaner, etc. I thought for sure I was a shoe in with my license and degree. I checked everything in regards to work, working conditions, hours, holidays, weekends and for wage i picked 9 bucks an hour. I want 13, but picked 9 since most jobs seem to start at that. They require you to call in weekly, which I do, but nothing is available for the hours, pay I selected.

Ive used the employment commission too, no luck.

Ive decided this week when I buy another paper to only apply for stuff I really, really want and hours. I may have it kind of lax where i am at with no performance reviews and would just look for a second job, unless that trucking dispatcher comes through.

cyberhobo, you got a point. Seems like a lot of effort on both parts to interivew people, file the application, resume, strangers entering your business, taking parking places from other customers and other employees time for nothing. I was turned down for a target position where I spent an hour on their computer, interviewed twice and just received a simple note in the mail I was turned down. Nothing about if I needed to reapply or if they would keep me on file. No one knows. Not sure I should apply at another store or not.

Maybe I should just flat out lie in my resume? I mean VA is a right to work state and either party can quit for any reason at any time.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cobb

After looking at your resume I believe I can point out few things. I think at this point it might be easier to talk. Why don't we do this over the weekend sometime. I now have your number so just let me know what time works for you and I will give you a call.

Steve

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
If I were you, I'd be trying to leverage your disability and PC lab work, and somehow work them together. IMO, if you've got even moderate PC/IT skills and have a wheelchair, you're going about this wrong. I think your problem is you're shooting too low.

I don't know your education background, but if you've got PC experience, you can make it official easily with the A+ cert which is quite easy, and the test at one of those testing centers is pretty easy.

You need to fight to win. They call it "job hunting" for a reason. When you hunt, you are looking to make a kill. "Hunting" isn't just showing up lots of places the game is, and hoping they jump in your lap. Resumes, and interviews is just the "showing up in the woods to hunt" part of "job hunting". You still need to go the extra step to make the kill and get the job you want.

I don't know what the quoted statistic is, but the vast majority of people who get jobs have some kind of "inside track", they know someone who knows someone etc. aka "Networking", or they worked previously in a related field. Like when you sold truck stuff, then maybe got a job with the maker of one of the products you sold etc.

If you don't have "networking" through current work, family, or friends, you need some other way to find the "inside track", and I think that your disability might be it.

Have you tried city, county, state and federal government? They're the most "PC" of all employers, and I hate to say it, but busting out the wheelchair (again, I'm being a creep, but it's a "real" wheelchair, not one of those scamp scooters, right?) might be your ticket in there. Public sector, and certain industries are trying to fill minority and disability quotas, or just gunning for "diversity", and you ought to milk it for all it's worth. I don't know for sure, but if you wheel in there, there may even be some special person that helps you work through the job application and civil service testing. (Which you'll do admirably since you're a smart and articulate guy. We've all read your posts.)

If you could get a government job, you'd be in like Flynn. Pension, full bennies, vacation up the wazoo. The pay is low compared to the private sector, but it beats the $8.50/hr you're hunting for by a mile. And it's actually quite competitive with private sector, because nobody but the gov jobs and the big old unions has a pension anymore...

If government doesn't pan out, you need to look up employment opportunities with public/private social service agencies like Goodwill, Lutheran Social Services, the Social Development Commission, or whatever they call it in your region. (There's usually several of them) These are those private non-profit agencies that use government grant money do things like job training & placement, rehabilitation, pregnant teens, dependant adult services, etc. (I know I'm being overly cynical here...) but these places have the "kumbyah factor" that you might be able to leverage with your disability and get some sort of admin or IT type work.

It sounds like your working hard to overcome your disability by transitioning up to the cane, but just get the darn job first. :) Then once you're hired, after a few weeks, alternate the chair with the cane so you can start your "recovery". Tell them that the job and your co-workers has inspired you to new heights of self-discovery, blah blah, and if you can find the kind of place that has the "kumbyah factor" they'll eat it up and feel good about themselves for years to come. Heck, they'll probably promote you.

In some ways getting a job is a game with no rules. Think of it like one of those reality shows where it's everyone for themselves. You've got to do what you've got to do to get a paycheck. You've got to figure out how to get the system working for you...

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lebkuecher, thanks. Responding to your message.

AJ_Dual, I do not have A+, but took some computer courses and am self taught on computers. I just dont really care for them anymore. I have done contracting work for certain computer companies installing computers for banks after hours at 125 bucks a pop, but its temp, contract work.

Its my experience the government section has a freeze. Been so since 911 when I was going to go from my 2 year internship as an assistant rehab engineer to working at a dept for the blind.

Most places that deal with disabled folks want nurses, drivers or folks with experience with austitic people.

Man, where can you get a night job screwing heads on dolls? Its not like I am demanding much.

Anyway, had an interesting call this afternoon for a resume i sent out June 4th. I dont really recall it. They wanted to speak to me about my computer skills and answered as a computer company, but rather unprofessional. The operator when I called back said no, I want to call back at least 20 minutes as the person was on the phone and would be for a long time. No offer to take a messsage.

Called back 20 minutes and it rung again at least 7 times. Sounded like a kid picked up, then two other people. THe lady that called me was on the phone. I could barely hear her and started to go through somewhat usual stuff. Funny thing is she went on how great the company is, how much they sell, profit, etc. Then about my resume and what they do. Sounded much like what I do already but selling ashphault. Anyway, we went in circles regarding hours, full vs part time, hours. Seems its full time with flexible hours during business hours. FInally came pay. The conversation kept going from career/job talk, much like you hear from those pure commission insurance calls and literature. FInally I heard a phone hang up and someone else come on the line. This guy kind of went on and on about I needed to make up my mind what I wanted to do. If I needed a job or career. Rather not I wanted to make 11 bucks an hour or shoot for the sky. He never said what it paid. I just asked what was the next step and he said I needed to decide if I wanted a job or career. I thanked him and said I would think about it.

Man, got a rejection letter from some construction company to the ad I responded to for a flag man at 16 bucks an hour. Someone with two degrees cant stand in the sun and hold a flag?

Ousanas

Newly Enlightened
the "Job/career" call with no pay discussion is MLM (Multi Level Marketing) of some sort, standard lines (did that for a few months in the bad times).

And yes, someone with 2 degrees can't stand in the sun and hold a flag all day. You are overqualified for that and they figure you are just desperate and will bail the second you get a "real" job offer. To some degree what others have said is true, you may be aiming 2 low for most people to believe it. Most companies see someone with 2 degrees and decent to great experience looking for basic, low paying, "slacker" jobs and figure you are either lazy, incompetent to the point that you have somehow been blackballed in "real" jobs, or too desperate to try for anything better. That sounds harsh and I know it's not where you are, but that's an HR perspective.

I have a lot of experience in several fields, and when I interviewed to be a cable installer that was one thing they asked me. "Why does someone with all your Customer Service, sales and High level of computer experience want to be a lowly cable installer?" It was beyond comprehension that I just wanted to get away from sales and get into more basic low stress jobs. Only reason I got in was cuz of someone I knew there who vouched for me.

I think you should maybe aim a little higher or just be willing to explain your feelings of being sick of computers and all the technology if that's what you need to do to convince people that factory work or whatever is acceptable.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Find a local print shop. No, I don't mean kinko's. I mean an actual shop with printing presses. I have friends who own these places. The presses usually run 24/7, and they are always looking for employees.

Also... you might consider MOVING to a different town. Different economy. There are a TON of jobs around here (jackson, ms). The katrina rebuilding is just now getting started. There will be jobs, jobs, jobs for years to come.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I spoke to Lebkuecher last weekend several times and made lots of changes. His suggestion went against my beliefs as my format was technical with just facts and no fluff.

His way was fluff and buzz/key words. Being a very cynical person, I am assuming if you apply for a job that you are hard working, honest, timely, well organized, etc, etc, etc. Seems you need to use those words. I certainly would over look those words if I was looking for employees and would key in on experience with jobs, tasks and equipment/software used not to mention industry.

Anyway, the hit count for my resumes on the big three resume sites went from in the teens to hundreds in a week. Got quite a few emails and calls.

Also filled out the dreded state application, signed it, rescanned it so I can use paint to edit the few fields that need editing to resubmit the application for multiple positions with little work. Found a few positions working with the disabled at the local rehab dept paying 40 grand a year plus benefits. Found the local university has a career site when looking at those state jobs and found many positions were listed til filled with no end date. Anyway, filled for 15 of those. Again, similar state application, they a post of your resume.

Still, no stronge leads. I did go for a sears auto clerk interview and was told after a minute I was hired, just had to pass a drug test. I told him I should pass it, I dont do drugs, but do take supplements. We proceeded filling out paper work for the next 45 minutes for taxes, background search, drug test, etc, etc, etc.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
No word on the sears job. The guy was out today. I had a few day jobs referred to me from some temp agencys. I talked to a few folks and they were day jobs.

I guess I cant make it any clearer than I am looking for an evening or night, 2 or 3rd shift to go back to school and get my degree. I even have that in my opening in my resume.

Anyway, thought I had a positive interview at a computer company yesterday. They make the computers for best buy. They wanted someone to assemble computers, 7am-4pm. They have a call center and are open til 11pm. Anyway was going to get referred to call center for evening shift and to come back for an interview and assemble a computer. The guy talked real big, how be commutes 2 hours twice a day, everyone works over their allotted hours, etc.

Came back today for the follow up interview for the call center and assemble a computer and they acted as if I never arrived yesterday. I got a let down by the receptionist and she just said they dont take walk in interviews, but I could leave my resume. I already gave the guy my resume from yesterday, so I just left.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a break 3 weeks ago for 3 weeks. Found an ad in the papers classified section to go to a former catalog store website to apply for a job. Did so, took about an hour in all. Arranged an interview. Was told on the spot as the guy walked in I was hired. Spent the next 30 minutes filling out paper work, had to take two drug tests as one was damanged in shipment to get tested. Worked for 3 weeks at 40+ hours in the tire store while working my day job at 40 hours a week. Very physical work. On your feet the whole time. My feet went from pain to numbness. Needless to say after a good foot inspection and seeing some sores, two pairs of shoes and driving a stick shift home at 11pm or later with numb feet every night, I came to my senses and quit.

Not only did you work a counter, you went to the customers car, took measurements of the tires, info, readings, came back, did the sale/work order, then pulled the parts. This included tires from the tire area in the back and the parked semi trailers in the back. Very physical work.