Orb Raw

pilotmx5

Newly Enlightened
Just discovered a lot on the Orb Raw, exactly how bright is this thing? The website said 100 lumens? If that's correct how much are they and where do i buy them? Anybody got pics of a beamshot with one more than 3 feet?

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
pilotmx5 said:
Just discovered a lot on the Orb Raw, exactly how bright is this thing? The website said 100 lumens? If that's correct how much are they and where do i buy them? Anybody got pics of a beamshot with one more than 3 feet?

How bright.......REAL Bright on High.....Suprisingly bright everyone I show mine too is like Holy **** :) Thats why I have 3 of them. Using the low setting is perfect for walking through the woods.

Mac

Delvance

Enlightened
You're only going to get 100 lumens from the U bin Orb Raws (which are all in the hands of various CPFers lol...these were offered quite some time ago). AFAIW, all current raws are made with T bin emitters, meaning 80 lumens max, before optical and lens loss. If i had to guess...probably about 50-60 lumens output. For reference, a SF G2 puts out about 60 lumens after the initial brightness drop. It's a great light, especially with the two stage option installed.

pilotmx5

Newly Enlightened
So, if I can't find an orb raw, what is similar? I love this website but having a hard time finding where to purchase lights, and would love to have a light like the orb raw or around the same size with similar (throw, light output, and price). What does everyone suggest?

pilotmx5

Newly Enlightened
I see they make two different versions? The NS and the Normal one it looks like, which would you purchase? Also, do you know how these will compare to a Surefire l2? The only high end light i have to compare output and beam to.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Raw 3W and Raw Ns (Son of Raw) are both tiny and amazingly bright. There's also the Jil Intelli (on RCR2), DSpeck Fire~Fly III, and Fenix P1 (on an R123) that are impressively bright for their size. The Orbs are the winners though. Or will be, until I get the UWOJ boards for my Jil and Exolion (gotta get my Exolion too).

pilotmx5

Newly Enlightened
are any of those rechargable? are any of them waterproof, or.. at least really water resistant? Beamshots of them compared.... links are awesome!

Roboholic

Enlightened
Two raws here and one Ns with three trits.
I think I like the Ns the best.
The best and worst thing is that the light is so small. great to cary in the pocket But a little hard to opperate with larger hands.
I love the two stage. Anything more just seems for show I do not need anything more. I just have an office job but that little light comes in handy all the time.
I do like the jil but it is much harder to opperate one handed due to how small it is. If I want the flupic I tend to grab the Fire~fly. That thing can take a licking and still lokks as good as the day I got it.
I guess what I am realy saying is what every one here will say. JUST BUY THEM ALL.
Robo

cd3660

Newly Enlightened
pilotmx5 said:
are any of those rechargable? are any of them waterproof, or.. at least really water resistant? Beamshots of them compared.... links are awesome!

I have just ordered an Orb Raw and an Orb Raw NS after spending a very informative 15 minutes or so talking to the extremely helpful owner of the company, who is a very nice guy.

He tells me that the Raw NS is waterproof.

As regards power source, they both use rechargable batteries.

My new torches are promised for delivery tomorrow - can't wait!

pilotmx5

Newly Enlightened
Any chance you can do an outdoor beamshot photo of the Orb compared to something really common such as a maglight or surefire? Also, What is the price in USD$ of each light? The Ns is waterproof ey? That sounds good.!

Cliffnopus

Enlightened
What's cool too, is that you can customize them by getting multiple tritium vials, I got my second one with three vials, each one a different color (blue/pink/green), the green is the brightest.

Cliff

JLavino

Newly Enlightened
cmacclel said:
How bright.......REAL Bright on High.....Suprisingly bright everyone I show mine too is like Holy **** :) Thats why I have 3 of them. Using the low setting is perfect for walking through the woods.

Mac

I was the one who saw Mac's and said Holy ****. Nice little torch!

JL

Frank Maddix

Newly Enlightened
I've got both. If I had to choose I would go for the NS, because:
- It's got O-rings, Raw hasn't
- It's heavier and exudes quality
- The action is smoother
- On mine at least, the switching is more positive. Raw can flicker a bit between positions.
- It has a split ring slot so attaching a lanyard is no problem. I use one of HDS's lanyards.

On the downside:
-The output is detectably less because of the smaller reflector.
- It gets very hot (abt. 5 mins on high - but some models have a resistor which reduces this slightly).
- The battery is tiny.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Frank Maddix said:
I've got both. If I had to choose I would go for the NS, because:
- On mine at least, the switching is more positive. Raw can flicker a bit between positions.
- It has a split ring slot so attaching a lanyard is no problem. I use one of HDS's lanyards.

All the new Orb Raws come with the same type of split ring attachment as the NS now.
I found that when my switch became a bit dodgy I sorted it by giving the circuit board and case a bit of a clean.

pilotmx5

Newly Enlightened
Which of these little lights gives the impression of being most durable? I'm guessing the HDS because of it's size is #1 but how would a Raw Ns, P1, or FF3 hold up if dropped (say hard word floor or concrete) out of ones pocket? I expect scratches and such, but dents? broken lens? broken reflector? Anyone got an outdoor beamshot of the Ns?

Cliffnopus

Enlightened
pilotmx5 said:
Which of these little lights gives the impression of being most durable? I'm guessing the HDS because of it's size is #1 but how would a Raw Ns, P1, or FF3 hold up if dropped (say hard word floor or concrete) out of ones pocket? I expect scratches and such, but dents? broken lens? broken reflector? Anyone got an outdoor beamshot of the Ns?
I dropped my RAW ns on a ceramic tile floor (pretty hard) and no damage whatsoever. I was expecting a cracked lens but nothing - probably had to do with how it landed, but I couldn't find a scratch or nick. It's pretty solid. Of course YMMV and I don't recommend it. :laughing:

Cliff

glow

Newly Enlightened
cd3660 said:
I have just ordered an Orb Raw and an Orb Raw NS after spending a very informative 15 minutes or so talking to the extremely helpful owner of the company, who is a very nice guy.

He tells me that the Raw NS is waterproof.

As regards power source, they both use rechargable batteries.

My new torches are promised for delivery tomorrow - can't wait!

ahem... I ordered one (alongside one of those cool inca pens listed on the site) on tuesday and I was told that it would be sent to me in a weeks time...

:shrug:

^glow-