SureFire KL3

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am planning to get this Module today, Is it a good thrower? havent heard any reviews except quickbeams. Should i buy it for my L5? Does it put out a lot of light? Can it light up a room? Thanks.

strat1080

Newly Enlightened
It appears that the current KL3 module from Surefire has some pretty good throw to it as well as excellent regulation. It stays at nearly 100% for almost 4hrs. It gives you a total runtime of usable power for over 7hrs. Nice little upgrade if you ask me. Its not nearly as bright as the P60 but is very usable. This review has some good information about it as well as beam shots.

http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/surefire_kl3gen2.htm

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, it seems i cant find it anywhere except surefire's website. I dont want to order it from surefire website because i have a feeling they are going to take forever. Thanks for the help but still will like some reviews. It seems that it does not have a whole lot of output wich is a Negative for me. Need some help any people have a chance to play with this product

flash99dark

Newly Enlightened
Re: where to buy a KL3

Hi....I get most of my Surefire stuff from Lighthound.com. He is very fast (sometimes just a couple of days for shipping). I would highly recomend him. He is one of us (a CPF member) and very responsive to his customers.
That's where I got my KL3 and KL5 heads from......William

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast

William,

How do you like your KL3? Does it look Nice? How's the throw? Output? Will it outhrow my L6? Should i just get another surefire flashlight or the KL3 Module, Sorry for all the Questions

Css2000

Newly Enlightened

Hey Skalomax,
Are some beamshots up against the p60 lamp.

SF KL3 gen2 on C2 Centurion; 2xCR123

OS2KL3gen2.jpg

SF P60 in M2 on 2xCR123

OS2P60inM2.jpg

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmmm, thanks for the beamshots. It seems the KL3 does not have much more throw than the surefire A2 and less Output. Maybe i should not buy it?

Css2000

Newly Enlightened

Are you looking for something equal to the P60 in terms of throw and output?

Size15's

Flashaholic
skalomax said:
Can you give me some links please? Have you had a chance to use the KL3 module Size 15?

Yep. I feel that the latest version is an improvement but have no use for it and so have not purchased one.

alkl36.jpg

KL5 on the left.
KL3 (old version) on the right.

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like its a Gen2 KL3? Aslo looking for something that THROWS! more than my L6. Or something With Lots of Output, since my L5 has lots of output but has purple tint and huge donut hole, something over my L5 head right now. Should i just buy the L5 Head? What are the chances i will get a tint or Donut? Looking at the KL3 because its a Lux 3 and wont have a donut or a horrible tint! Thanks for the HELP!

strat1080

Newly Enlightened
If you don't like the KL3 model from Surefire there is another option. Below is a link to the review of the Bugout Gear LED upgrade. It has slightly less throw but more output than the KL3. I think it is a little more balanced. It has double the battery life to 50% output than the P60 modules but will run for over 5 hours. It is also cheaper than the Surefire module. Everything is a compromise. If you want killer output and throw incandescents are the way to go but you sacrifice battery life. If you want long battery life, you sacrifice output and throw. If you want an LED with good throw but long battery life, you sacrifice output and end up with a narrow spot beam. If you want more flood then you sacrifice throw. For throw its hard to beat an incandescent. You could try the G2 from Surefire. It has better throw than your L5 and is actually cheaper than any upgrade you might consider.

http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/gp_p60lux3.htm

Last edited:

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
That look pretty awesome. Now im thinking of gettng the L2! It has so much output! Is a Surefire L2 a good light On bright it only last 30 min Right? if it is right i will get it, It only got 4 stars on LEDmuseum, What do you guys think? should i or should i not? Thanks

nc987

Enlightened
KL3 is a great module. To answer your previous question it will out throw your L6. It out throws every one of my lights except for my HF HID of course and my M3T-CB. Really cant go wrong with this head.

Size15's

Flashaholic
skalomax said:
It looks like its a Gen2 KL3?
The current KL3 features a revised TIR optic with concentric rings for better beam quality. I guess you may want to call the current KL3 the Gen3 then...

Al

BBL

Enlightened
in software development we would call the current KL3 a "Version 2.3" :) ... the newest optic has a nice beam, but does throw significantly less.

Latest posts