Advice on LED torch

brett174

Newly Enlightened
I'd better say hi first, as this is my first post :)

I've been reading here for a while now and have just got into the world of LED torches. My first one was a Photon Freedom Micro, which I was really amazed with. Now I'm looking for something bigger and was after some advice.

After going through a lot of threads on here and checking out flashlightreviews, I've come up with the following list. This includes the cheapest price I've been able to find. I'm still waiting to hear back from a few places on how much postage is to Australia (its looking pretty expensive so far).

So what do you guys think? My max budget is $US100 but that will need to include postage. My main requirement is for something bright (I currently have a 4D Maglite, so I would like something substantially brighter). I'm not concerned about run-time as it will only be used in emergency situations. I'm looking for something with a long throw (im assuming that means a long range) .

At first it seemed as though it would just be as easy as going with the torch with the highest lumen output, but now after reading about Inova over-rating their output, im not soo sure.

What would you recommend, is there anything else in that price range I have missed? So far imleaning towards either the T5 or L2

Pelican M6 2390 61 lumens
Brightguy 95+?
Amondo Tech 85 +

Pentagon L2 65 lumens
Amondo Tech 64.50. +

Streamlight 2L 80 lumens
Brightguy 72.95 +?

Ionva T5 100 lumens
Battery Junction 64.95 + 21.75 ($86.70)
Botac 65 + ?

Inova XO3 82 lumens
Battery Junction 47.95 + 17.05 ($65.00)

Last edited:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello brett174 :)

LED's generally don't throw as well as incandecent. I doubt you will find any thing that will out throw the 4D mag for $100, although I don't think that throw is all that important in a torch. After all, you can buy a cheap laser pointer that will out throw just about anything. Not much good for providing light though. Overall output is more important.

I would recommend the Nuwai 5 Watt ALX-253L for the high output.

Last edited:

Somy Nex

Enlightened
Ah oops! you were looking for an LED torch. sorry i was confused. I'll grey my post out, but still worth a look if interested anyway! :ohgeez: :stupid: :eek:

Look here: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=117772 =)

the lights you listed are all below 100 lumens, and most probably will not be as bright as the Surefire U2 as shown here (click on pic for larger version):

here's the Pila GL4 at 195 lumens. the Raider DX in that link above is rated 200 lumens, and uses a head designed for more throw:

oh and i forgot, welcome to CPF! :) :wave:

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think that you're going to find anything in a LED that going to outthrow the Mag 4D with an incandescent bulb, at any price. You might get an LED that will come close to the Mag 4D using the Mag LED upgrade or the Diamond DB-3W modules (both with more overall light output,) but if you want something that will throw further, you're probably better off focusing on an incandescent product, at the price range that you're looking at.

brett174

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the replies, I guess i was being a bit hopeful thinking a $100 LED torch could compete with a 4D Maglite. Having said that though, of the above torches I listed, which do you think would be the brightest and have the greatest throw?

I'm also having a lot of trouble finding somewhere that wont charge an exuberant amount for postage to Australia. Brightguy quoted me $65 just for the postage which doesnt seem right at all. A few other places have said between about $30-$35 which is still a hell of a lot, considering its only a small sized torch im looking at getting.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're right, $65 doesn't quite sound right. I happen to know that Brightguy uses UPS, and while they do have discounts for established accounts, the rate to ship a 2-4 Lb package from the US to Oz would be closer to $90 (add about another $7-8 for a person walking in off the street and posting the parcel at a UPS counter.) And that doesn't include any fuel surcharges that they may have in place. Add to that any taffiffs that may be imposed. Perhaps he uses a different carrier for international shipping.

The $30-35 rate that you got was probably from a smaller vendor who takes their stuff to the Post Office, where the Air Parcel rate would be about $25.

brett174 said:
I'm also having a lot of trouble finding somewhere that wont charge an exuberant amount for postage to Australia. Brightguy quoted me $65 just for the postage which doesnt seem right at all. A few other places have said between about $30-$35 which is still a hell of a lot, considering its only a small sized torch im looking at getting.

Somy Nex

Enlightened
also check out www.lighthound.com

very reasonable prices on all his goods, but more importantly, excellent customer service. all that positive feedback for John @ Lighthound in the Cheers n Jeers section aren't by chance =)

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
brett174 said:
thanks for the replies, I guess i was being a bit hopeful thinking a $100 LED torch could compete with a 4D Maglite. Having said that though, of the above torches I listed, which do you think would be the brightest and have the greatest throw?

All the torches you mentioned will easily outperform the maglite 4D in terms of overall output and compactness, you'll be surprised at how much smaller they are than the 4D mag. If it's throw your after then you could try the Streamlight 4AA Luxeon. Not quite as bright as the mag or the other torches you mentioned but throw is good for an LED. Also its regulated so it won't dim like the mag. They're quite common on ebay so postage to Austrailia probably won't be too much.

As for the ones you mentioned, Flashlight reviews has a table comparing overall brightness and throw.

carrot

Flashaholic
The Inova T5 may have an overrated lumen output, but it should throw well with its TIROS lens. A good light, but not a LED, is the Streamlight TL-3, and it will definitely outthrow the Mag4D.

Latest posts