HDS EDC U60GT Runtime Graph on Level 3 w/ Protected RCR123

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a runtime graph of my baby everyday carry (woah i rhymed :ohgeez: )...

I really like protected cells in my HDS, some say it doesn't work good .... but even when i stopped the test after my night sleep... the light was still on... dim... .but on... when i'd turn it off for a minute or so to let the battery recover... then clicked it to max, it would get decently bright again... then dim quickly again...

So protected cells are just fine... 2 hours of runtime @ 30 lumens is pretty dang good off of a li-ion... i'm sure they'd be better with a primary but i don't edc a primary so i did the test with the cells I normally use...

30 lumens really isn't that much off 60 lumens in practical use... but with over 4 times the runtime its quite worth it.... i use 30 lumens as my primary setting... 10 lumens just doesn't cut it, even more so when you use the free lumen source of li-ion's... i'd say if you plan on using primaries all the time... a basic model will suit you just fine... but if you use rechargeable's you need the U models...

Enjoy and Hopefully its helpful to some of you :)

hdsedc2u60gt30lumenslevel3runt.gif

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
cool, that means I probably get 3 hours runtime at 30 lumens with my XRGT! :nana:

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
leukos said:
cool, that means I probably get 3 hours runtime at 30 lumens with my XRGT! :nana:

heh... you'll fear my U85 XRGT once it comes out :grin2:

---

edited:

acually... .i get 30min of runtime on high with a protected li-ion... so it looks like my non-xr has XR type regulation... at least on high... 30 min on a protected li-ion is pretty dang good.... i think i'm going to do a MP non-protected test when i get home... so :nana:

Last edited:

iamerror

Enlightened
Thanks for the post, I assume the only difference in performance for protected and unprotected li-ions is that protected li-ions will not be as bright because they have added resistance? Is that correct?

I did not understand the last part of your post (starting at "10 lumens just doesn't") Why would you not recommend rechargeables for the Basic series?

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
iamerror said:
Thanks for the post, I assume the only difference in performance for protected and unprotected li-ions is that protected li-ions will not be as bright because they have added resistance? Is that correct?

I did not understand the last part of your post (starting at "10 lumens just doesn't") Why would you not recommend rechargeables for the Basic series?
no... HDS's are the same brightness regardless of the voltage/resistance... its the beauty of these lights... the difference comes from the protection circuit using some of the juice of the battery... so you are supposed to get lightly less runtime with protected cells... but i'm satified with my results...

well... my logic is that you'll kill your battery a lot faster using 30 lumens on primary compared to 10 lumens.... however if your using rechargeables 30 lumens doesn't really matter because you can just recharge it... but if you only use primary cr123's... 10 lumens is still a very useful amount of light that will make your light last a LONG time...

rechargeable's just allow me to run my light brighter than what i would if i had to use expensive cells everytime i killed my light...

Last edited:

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get about 40 minutes at 60 lumens on my XRGT, and over 2 hours on 42 lumens, using protected cells. For some reason my batterystation cells work much better than the ones I got from Dspeck with my Fire~Fly III. Like up to 2:30 on level 2 compared to 2:05.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Planterz said:
I get about 40 minutes at 60 lumens on my XRGT, and over 2 hours on 42 lumens, using protected cells. For some reason my batterystation cells work much better than the ones I got from Dspeck with my Fire~Fly III. Like up to 2:30 on level 2 compared to 2:05.
dang thats awesome!