My ideal light for a trip ... please adivse

MarcM001

Newly Enlightened
Forum users,

I'll be backpacking for a month around Spain in August and I'm somewhat of a gear nut. For example, my my daypack is :
http://www.maxpedition.com/product/product_vp_jumbo.htm

I've been searching for a light for EDC on my trip that meets the following, ideally, but I can't seem to find the right combination on my own:

-Takes 1 AA battery
-Has both white or blue and at least one red LED
-Costs under $30 if possible
-Compact tube form factor
-Throws a good amount of light (eliminates Gerber recon)
-Available now

This looks awesome but is too expensive and pre-order only:
http://www.photonlight.com/products/proton/index.html

This was the best I could come up with, but it's 3xAAA so a bit bulky:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8818722064

Surely there's something out there? I will open up the floor to the experts!
Thank you,

Marc
(mesotheliomaasbestoslawyer.biz)

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
let me know if you find the light... i'd buy one with those specs :whistle:

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
maybe a fenix L1T w/ a homemade red filter? i dunno :)

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Marc:)

Welcome here:grin2:

The proton light was the first idea I have had.
Another idea is a few cheap keyring lights in red and blue and a Fenix L1P or L1T.

Best regards

____
Tom

aceo07

Enlightened
If you skip the price limit and the red led, maybe you can go for the Fenix L1T.

I like to have a light that has long life (low output option) if I'm going out for a trip.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix Civictor, $30 shipped from 4 sevens right now. I LOVE mine. Same output as L1P - which is VERY good. Runs bright 3 hrs on good nimh, nearly 4 on a lithium, nearly 4 hours (with dimming) on an alky. BETTER size, feel, and reliability than the L1P or other clicky clones. I agree with others on red LED - get a cheap red button cell at 99 cent store.

carrot

Flashaholic
The simplest solution would be either to up your budget... or get two lights.

The Fenix L1T or L1P from http://Fenix-store.com would suit your needs well, except for the lack of a colored LED. The L1P (and probably L1T) throws surprisingly well for its size. It uses 1AA. Around $40-50.

For a red LED light, you could look for a Streamlight Stylus in red (or blue, or green) or a Gerber Infinity Ultra in red. Stylus uses 3AAAA batteries, and the Gerber uses 1AA. You should be able to get the Stylus for about $10, and the Gerber for about $15-20.

It's not exactly the form-factor you want, but you might want to consider the Streamlight Night Com -- which I think you can get at fox-intl.com for a good price, I think around $30.

Unfortunately, it uses 2x CR123 batteries, but they are available for $1 each at http://amondotech.com. I use their Titanium brand batteries, and can recommend them.

If not for the price limit and battery restriction, I'd recommend the Surefire A2 Aviator wholeheartedly, for $150 from TacticalSupply and OpticsHQ.

DaveG

Enlightened
I am a fan of the Pak-lite, not aa cell,but 9-volt, and can be had in various led styles. Was made by a backpacker,check out 9voltlight.com for info.

MarcM001

Newly Enlightened
These are some fantastic suggestions. Thank you one and all (and keep them coming :)).

If I were to go with the red LED as keychain only, is there a preferred one for combination of brightness/longevity/cost? The blue one on my keychain is from EMS and seems to work well.

- Marc

VWTim

Enlightened
I have a cheap Photon clone from a CPF dealer and it works great. But you can also find Photon brand Red lights locally usually. I too would prob go with either a L1P/T or an Infinity Ultra if runtime was more important. Then a red photon or clone.

carrot

Flashaholic
MarcM001 said:
If I were to go with the red LED as keychain only, is there a preferred one for combination of brightness/longevity/cost? The blue one on my keychain is from EMS and seems to work well.
I recommend the Photon Microlight I or Photon II (depending on if you need a constant-on switch). They are superior to the "clones" in durability and have gold-plated contacts to resist corrosion. LRI also has a no questions asked warranty -- if you break it, they fix it. http://photonlight.com

Runtime with a red LED is said to be 120 hours.

The Photon III and Photon Freedom Micro are good lights too, but when attached to a keychain they tend to get accidentally turned on (unless you set the Freedom to momentary-on). I keep my Freedom attached to my Leatherman Micra.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
My choice would be an Inova X1 and a red PHoton II. In one light if you up the price the Proton has both the Red and white light covered in a variable light.

carrot

Flashaholic
Lee1959 said:
My choice would be an Inova X1 and a red PHoton II. In one light if you up the price the Proton has both the Red and white light covered in a variable light.
While I love the X1, it does not throw very well, especially compared to the Fenix. However, it's a really good light, and puts out plenty to see with.

Frank Maddix

Newly Enlightened
I would go for the Fenix L1P - with a Lithium cell (primary) it would cover most requirements. The Inova X0 is a good light but bulkier and takes CR123s. Imagine what these would cost in Spain.
NOTE! *** If you're going to any big town watch out for pickpockets - they work in teams and, while not aggressive, are VERY clever at distracting you. On the metro one guy distracted me - I felt in my wallet pocket and there was a hand there already! Sadly for them I gripped hard and broke a couple of fingers. But he/she was out of action for weeks. (The pocket was sealed with 2 buttons, a Velcro flap and a zipper - took him/her about 2 seconds to get through that)...

greenLED

Flashaholic
MarcM001 said:
-Takes 1 AA battery
-Has both white or blue and at least one red LED
-Costs under $30 if possible
-Compact tube form factor
-Throws a good amount of light (eliminates Gerber recon)
-Available now
Two words:
Gerber Recon
(just because, aside from the SF Kroma -not yet available, there isn't another light that meets all of your requirements and I think the Recon gives you a decent amount of light for close-up tasks).

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it has to be 1AA then L1T , or if it has to be under $30 then get the Nuwai X-1 and Photon clone (Fauxton 99c), but the L1T woould be much more useful in the long run, having two levels.

Happy backpacking -

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I`d opt for a Fenix L1P, and do the 10 ohms head mod on it.
This light is WAY more useful than an L1T because the low is low.

You dont have a red beam that way, but ...