International Shipping costs to UK, Free please..

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not only is it annoying to have to search a website to find out if shipping to UK is OK, at hopefully not an exorbitant price, it should be obvious on an international Forum too.

All power to Dae, at

http://qualitychinagoods.com/

who states quite clearly that all shipping Internationally is free.

(That is, shipping is always FREE on my retail site.)

Same for David at

http://fenix-store.com/index.php

(I never charge for shipping, never will. )

There may be others, these are just two I have used, that spring to mind.

simonsays

Newly Enlightened
I feel your pain...... There is a company out there who tried to charge $52 to ship a Terralux Diamond LED to the UK
rant.gif

Lighthound managed to ship me three SMJLED's all the way to the UK for $1.50
He may not be free but Lighthound does seem to offer international shipping at a very reasonable rate
goodjob.gif

Cheers,
Simon

thezman

Enlightened
There are planes leaving the UK heading to the US every day. :laughing:

Either hop on one, or accept the fact that shipping abroad costs money. :D

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why should all the clients pay the high shipping costs, when someone lives at the other end of the world?

Jumpmaster, congrats to your 1000th post:)

Best regards

____
Tom

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Indeed. Playing the 'numbers' game is a pretty popular method that many web merchants use to work their way to the top of price-search engines. And for eBay scam artists, it's the easiest way of ensuring that whatever they sell in not returned if they can sell it for a penny and then get the actual sales price as "shipping" since they don't have to refund the shipping costs.

In the case of Dae and qualitychinagoods, it would only seem reasonable average in shipping with his retail sales, as the overwhelming majority, if not all, of his sales would be outside of China.

Jumpmaster said:
...and "free" shipping usually isn't -- that usually means the seller has "built in" the shipping into the cost of the item.

JM-99

nzgunnie

Enlightened
I just purchase from those sellers that have reasonable shipping. I always consider item+shipping as the cost, and dont see shipping as a nasty extra.

If it works out too much then I don't buy from them, simple.

That is why I use lighthound, realistic shipping prices there.

Even paying quite a bit for shipping, things are always cheaper than they are to buy here in New Zealand anyway.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can empathise with the OP since I moved here to the UK it is annoying how many US companies will only ship overseas via UPS, sometimes $30-$50 per order, and then we are socked with VAT on top of it! It would be nice if they at least offered a few alternatives. I also appreciate the service a business like Lighthound provides for his international customers. :)

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
chevrofreak said:
Why? Shipping to the UK from the USA typically costs more. Why should the seller eat that cost?

Yes it does, and most non-US residents are more than willing to pay a reasonable extra for shipping (and insurance). But unfortunately, some dealers in the US only offer 1 option in international shipping, which causes small items to become very expensive.

So the seller should not eat the cost of shipping. But he should offer the buyer a choice in shipping methods.
If I order a $1000 HID system, I don't mind splashing out an extra $50 for UPS shipping. But if I order a mag solitaire, I want the $1,70 Airmail Letter Post option...

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although we all like to get stuff for free, I cannot see how a retailer in...say...the USA, can price his merchandise the same for his own country as well as all the rest in the world! Shipping is obviously going to be different and more or less difficult to organize etc.,depending on where the shipment is going.

Also I realize that some companies don't make it instant in their websites to find out how much it would cost...so what! It may take a day later but you still get your stuff very quickly.

We in the UK are underprivelidged when it comes to torch manufacturers and dealers, that's just the way it is. Even with shipping,the price is still way less than we would pay at home - irregardless of what it does to our homegrown retailers and consequently the centre of all our villages,towns and cities.

For example: SUREFIRE M2 - $152 + $8 shipped = ££86

same thing at UK retailer £225 = $421

That's an awful lot of shipping!!!!!!!!!!!

It pays to shop around the world and swallow the shipping costs yourself, or if it doesn't you're not buying from the right company...

(plus you get great friendly service and a free torch at Lighthound...)

frisco

Enlightened
Shipping outside the States can be a pain in the arse. Guys like Lighthound and 4sevens are all around great vendors !!! Cheers to them !!!

I have sold eBay things overseas and in more than half the time it becomes a Royal pain.

- The money exchange is a challenge... PayPal works for the most part....

- Have to go to the post office.... Wait 10-45 minutes....fill out the forms.... Lie about the value.... Declare it as a gift.

- About a week later the e-mail's start coming in from the buyer telling you he has not received the package yet..... than daily angry e-mail's from worried buyer.

- Than as a seller I get worried .....

- Than the buyer is asking you why you don't have a tracking number after they wanted it shipped the cheapest way.

I have to admit that International Shipping within the confines of CPF seems more doable, but still more effort than domestic sales.

Bottom line is..... If you think the seller is charging to much for shipping..... Don't buy it !!!! You just shouldn't expect everybody to go through the effort for you for free.

frisco

maverick

Enlightened
I have no problem paying extra for shipping as long as it is a fair amount. To me, it's just the price I have to accept and pay for living in another part of the world. What pisses me off is:

A) Some dealers choose to charge HUGE amounts for international shipping;
B) Some dealers INSISTING on using only UPS or FEDEX to ship;
C) Some dealers outright refusing to ship internationally (though sometimes it's not their call).

A good example of problem "C" is Surefire. Surefire prohibits it's US dealers to ship their products overseas as a way to protect it's authorised dealers in other countries. Well that's fine, I'll just buy from my local SF dealer then, but NO, they are OUT OF STOCK! If SF must insist on not letting US companies ship internationally, then they should at least ensure that their international dealers are well stocked. Btw, I'm not talking about items which are globally out of stock, these are items that are in-stock in pretty much all the US online shops.

Ok I think I've said enough, I know I've gone a little off topic, sorry!

frisco

Enlightened
[QUOTE So the seller should not eat the cost of shipping. But he should offer the buyer a choice in shipping methods.
If I order a $1000 HID system, I don't mind splashing out an extra $50 for UPS shipping. But if I order a mag solitaire, I want the $1,70 Airmail Letter Post option...[/QUOTE]

OK... So your the business in the US .... Someone from the UK buys a small item. You can:

a) Ship it via UPS when the UPS person comes to pick it up.

b) Send somebody to the Post Office to ship it for $1.70

The shipping guy gets $15.00 dollars an hour. He gets in a car.... Drives across town to the Post Office... waits 30 minutes in line.... Posts your item..... drives back to work.

Which method do you choose?

This scenario may be a bit over dramatized, but could be a reason allot of places won't give you a choice.

frisco

Amonra

Enlightened
When you live in Malta like me everything has to come either by sea or air no matter where it comes from, being a small island surrounded only by sea. It becomes very very frustrating when shipping costs are calculated and even if a certain item may cost much more locally, many times it still is worthwile to buy locally as the prices will come close because of the high shipping costs from overseas. Apart from the fact that we have to pay duty and VAT ( about 27% total ) on the total price including shipping. So for small items even the taxes alone end up costing more than the actual item. This happens mostly because overseas retailers do not offer reasonable prices or options for overseas shipping.

What seems stupid is the fact that some retailers do not care about international sales because it may cause some extra work, but do not realize ( or ingore ) the fact that their products cost much less than products bought locally making them very attractive to overseas customers i.e. there is great sales potential to overseas customers. Why they decide to loose these customers ( and a lot of sales ) by charging a lot for shipping i cannot understand. especially when everyone is grumbling because of less sales, not to mention that the money is coming form overseas rather than just recycling the local money.

There is a possibility that they may not want to risk things being lost in the post ( although they may also be lost in local shipments ) the total gains from overseas shipping potential will be much much greater than the few possible losses.

It is a win-win situation for everyone if the shipping costs were reasonable. the seller will make money, the buyer will save money and the sellers country will benefit from foreign investment through "export"

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
frisco said:
OK... So your the business in the US .... Someone from the UK buys a small item. You can:

a) Ship it via UPS when the UPS person comes to pick it up.

b) Send somebody to the Post Office to ship it for $1.70

The shipping guy gets $15.00 dollars an hour. He gets in a car.... Drives across town to the Post Office... waits 30 minutes in line.... Posts your item..... drives back to work.

Which method do you choose?

This scenario may be a bit over dramatized, but could be a reason allot of places won't give you a choice.

frisco

So, I'm the business in the US, I can:

A) lose the customer because I only ship UPS and I charge $50 bucks to send a single item

B) State on my website that to reduce expenses on international orders all international orders will be sent on a certain day each week so that my shipping guy only has to drive across town once a week. Adds some time, but saves a lot of money.

C) Charge a per order extra fee for added costs on each international order. Say that your company gets 100 orders a day, of which 10 international. A fee of $2-$3 per order will generously cover the expenses made by the trip to the postoffice. (this is the method I believe Fox Intl. uses)

D) Add a surcharge for international shipping like Lighthound does.

B, C and D will all give happy international customers, who will tell other potentional international customers what great service they got from that business in the US. The business in the US will get more international orders, the business in the US opens up a european office, the word spreads further and further. Offices in Asia and Australia are opened. The small business in the US is now a big multinational. The business keeps growing and growing...
and within 10 years you are running one of the worlds top noted businesses... You sell the company for millions of dollars and retire early, with more cash than you could ever spend in a lifetime and all the time in the world to play with your flashlights...

Not saying that it will happen, but I am saying that if you treat international customers like crap, it will never happen...

Anyway... As a non-US resident that orders regularly from the US, I know a bit about shipping from the US to other places. So I'm working on a little document with a summary of the options for shipping international. To make life for sellers in the US a bit easier...

Last edited:

frisco

Enlightened
MayCooper said:
So, I'm the business in the US, I can:

A) lose the customer because I only ship UPS and I charge $50 bucks to send a single item

B) State on my website that to reduce expenses on international orders all international orders will be sent on a certain day each week so that my shipping guy only has to drive across town once a week. Adds some time, but saves a lot of money.

C) Charge a per order extra fee for added costs on each international order. Say that your company gets 100 orders a day, of which 10 international. A fee of $2-$3 per order will generously cover the expenses made by the trip to the postoffice. (this is the method I believe Fox Intl. uses)

D) Add a surcharge for international shipping like Lighthound does.

B, C and D will all give happy international customers, who will tell other potentional international customers what great service they got from that business in the US. The business in the US will get more international orders, the business in the US opens up a european office, the word spreads further and further. Offices in Asia and Australia are opened. The small business in the US is now a big multinational. The business keeps growing and growing...
and within 10 years you are running one of the worlds top noted businesses... You sell the company for millions of dollars and retire early, with more cash than you could ever spend in a lifetime and all the time in the world to play with your flashlights...

Not saying that it will happen, but I am saying that if you treat international customers like crap, it will never happen...

Anyway... As a non-US resident that orders regularly from the US, I know a bit about shipping from the US to other places. So I'm working on a little document with a summary of the options for shipping international. To make life for sellers in the US a bit easier...

All good points. But I believe my original point is valid also.

Were only talking about the shipping costs. There are several other reasons why international sales are difficult. What countries do you ship to and which ones you don't? I have a friend in Barcelona Spain that says only about 75% of his mail from the States gets to him. Do you ship to Poland? What about Africa or the Middle East.... Mexico.... Cuba ???
I don't know the answers to those.... I'm just throwing it out there. I would just guess that there would be allot of lost packages that the company would have to deal with. Anyway you look at it.... it's not as easy and profitable as many make it out to be.
I don't ship out of the USA anymore because of what I have learned about it. I would be interested to see your summary of options.
No disrespect to anyone.... But from my past eBay international sales experience .... I noticed Europeans to be the most pushy and rude customers? Maybe my interpretation is wrong but it was quite noticeable. Maybe a culture thing?

frisco

TENMMIKE

Enlightened
:huh: are those real life prices in the UK?if so that just insane, man i feel for yall, unreal.
Nyctophiliac said:
Although we all like to get stuff for free, I cannot see how a retailer in...say...the USA, can price his merchandise the same for his own country as well as all the rest in the world! Shipping is obviously going to be different and more or less difficult to organize etc.,depending on where the shipment is going.

Also I realize that some companies don't make it instant in their websites to find out how much it would cost...so what! It may take a day later but you still get your stuff very quickly.

We in the UK are underprivelidged when it comes to torch manufacturers and dealers, that's just the way it is. Even with shipping,the price is still way less than we would pay at home - irregardless of what it does to our homegrown retailers and consequently the centre of all our villages,towns and cities.

For example: SUREFIRE M2 - $152 + $8 shipped = ££86

same thing at UK retailer £225 = $421

That's an awful lot of shipping!!!!!!!!!!!

It pays to shop around the world and swallow the shipping costs yourself, or if it doesn't you're not buying from the right company...

(plus you get great friendly service and a free torch at Lighthound...)

frisco said:
Shipping outside the States can be a pain in the arse. Guys like Lighthound and 4sevens are all around great vendors !!! Cheers to them !!!

I have sold eBay things overseas and in more than half the time it becomes a Royal pain.

- The money exchange is a challenge... PayPal works for the most part....

I've never had an issue. You specify the currency for the items you're selling, then the buyer tells PayPal site what currency he wants to pay in and PayPal quotes them in whatever currency their account is native in. I always get my money in US currency regardless of where the item is going.
- Have to go to the post office.... Wait 10-45 minutes....fill out the forms.... Lie about the value.... Declare it as a gift.

I charge more handling fee on international shipments for this exact reason. If it actually takes more handling, it's reasonable to add more handling fee.

Customs people are well aware people lie on customs forms. In the United States, falsiying customs form is against federal law and if at all, you're the one who will be nabbed. Also, when the receiving country questions the contents and upon inspection, they feel the contents are clearly worth more than the declared value and doesn't seem like a gift, it only leads to delay.

- About a week later the e-mail's start coming in from the buyer telling you he has not received the package yet..... than daily angry e-mail's from worried buyer.

For this reason, I usually add a note for international buyers to ask for shipping cost BEFORE bidding. If someone decides to bid and win without contacting first, I will quote them the airmail cost.

If the buyer contact me, I give them the option and clearly tell them that sea mail will take 6-10 weeks.

- Than as a seller I get worried .....

- Than the buyer is asking you why you don't have a tracking number after they wanted it shipped the cheapest way.

I have to admit that International Shipping within the confines of CPF seems more doable, but still more effort than domestic sales.

Bottom line is..... If you think the seller is charging to much for shipping..... Don't buy it !!!! You just shouldn't expect everybody to go through the effort for you for free.

frisco
This is always a concern, although I have learned that if I'm selling high margin, low cost, volume goods and receive a claim after a specified period, I just refund the amount and write it off as a business expense. This does not happen very often. When it does happen, most are legitimate claims.

If I'm selling something of substantial value, I only ship it by nothing but registered mail or FedEx/UPS.

All good points. But I believe my original point is valid also.

Were only talking about the shipping costs. There are several other reasons why international sales are difficult. What countries do you ship to and which ones you don't? I have a friend in Barcelona Spain that says only about 75% of his mail from the States gets to him. Do you ship to Poland? What about Africa or the Middle East.... Mexico.... Cuba ???

I don't know the answers to those.... I'm just throwing it out there. I would just guess that there would be allot of lost packages that the company would have to deal with. Anyway you look at it.... it's not as easy and profitable as many make it out to be.

I don't ship out of the USA anymore because of what I have learned about it. I would be interested to see your summary of options.
No disrespect to anyone.... But from my past eBay international sales experience .... I noticed Europeans to be the most pushy and rude customers? Maybe my interpretation is wrong but it was quite noticeable. Maybe a culture thing?

frisco

If I have to ship to developing countries, I feel eh... but because I only accept PayPal from verified users, the number of questionable buyers are filtered considerably.

Should I ship within just the US? Canada + US? or internationally?
The answer is completely dependent on the characteristics of the merchandise.

For example, I will not ship textbooks anywhere but the US, because they're heavy, usually not of significant value and they cost a significant amount to ship outside the use due to the lack of Media Mail (or equivalent) for international shipments.

Electronic parts? International. Half of my customer base are outside the US.

Other consumer goods? International buyers are often willing to pay the money, but they find most US dealers do not ship outside the US. These customers go to eBay and buy from sellers who ship internationally. You lose these important buyers if you limit to US only.

Last edited: