Upgrading to LCD

Banshee

Enlightened
Newegg has a few Open Box specials on their site today:

Viewsonic 191B
Viewsonic VX924

Sceptre X9G-komodo VII
Sceptre X20G Naga III

Any of one these stand out as "superior" to the others for typical home/gaming useages?

If not any of those clearance units...what new 19" would be a good choice to replace my CRT monitor?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
this is due to arrive tomorrow, i'll let you know how i like it.

based on the reviews, it's a great monitor for the price...

there was a rebate, but it ended yesterday...sorry

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Benq makes good DVD burners. That's all I know about Benq, but it's better than nothing.

Viewsonic has made good CRT monitors. I have one taking up space in my apartment that's still good, but I only use LCD now. I have a nephew that has a Viewsonic LCD but I never asked him how he liked it.

I never heard of Sceptre, so I wouldn't buy one, but that doesn't mean much. I have noticed newegg has sold LCD monitors in the past with brands nobody ever heard of. After a few weeks they didn't sell them anymore and the brand name disappeared from the radar screen.

I only buy Samsung because that's all I ever had. I've now bought three and they all work fine with no dead pixels.

I think reading the reviews on newegg is a good idea. You have to read a lot of them, and be sceptical and analytical. Let's face it, a lot of people couldn't plug in a monitor and get it right. Also even among reviewers that know their *** from their elbow, their needs and powers of observation will vary greatly.

For instance, I'm not a gamer so I don't pay much attention to quick response time, and have no idea how important that is to gamers. I also am not particular if the colors aren't quite true, and have no idea how I could tell anyway. Basically I want sharp text that's easy to read. It could very well be that any brand would make me happy, but I don't know.

Apparently gamers also care about how black black is, if that makes any sense. No LCD monitor can display absolute black, it's just a matter of how dark the gray is. To anyone but a gamer I think it's immaterial and unnoticeable. I can only notice the difference when displaying an all black screen in a dimly lit room. But in those conditions I can see my old expensive top of the line Samsung will display a darker and more uniform black than my new and much cheaper Samsung can. Under normal conditions though it's unnoticeable and I'm glad I saved the $100 by not going for the top of the line monitor this time.

My monitors are 17 inch and I have no need for anything bigger. A 17 inch LCD is the equivalent of an 18 inch CRT.

When you get the LCD monitor, if you are running XP, you ought to try turning on ClearType fonts. I don't know the details but I've read it has to do with achieving antialiasing at the subpixel level. I've found the difference can be small sometimes or huge at other times. It seems to depend on various things including the particular monitor you have.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
i got all my compute parts from Newegg.com

Awesome prices and I like that it stores your order when you login. I had an issue with my motherboard and couldn't remember all of the brands and spec's of the peripherals.

alphamicro

Newly Enlightened
Here's a site with LCD recommendations. They're pretty good with the pros & cons of a number of monitors plus they give a lot of background info.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=71226

I'm happy with my Viewsonic VP930b I got 6 months ago. I got another one for my college bound son last week.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824116365

Does your video card have DVI output? Some (most?) of the current LCD monitors will take DVI input (as well as analog).

Banshee

Enlightened
alphamicro said:
Does your video card have DVI output? Some (most?) of the current LCD monitors will take DVI input (as well as analog).

Yes..I'm running an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro...it does have DVI and D-Sub coneKshuns (sic)

:)

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i believe my monitor comes to $229 after the $30 rebate, and $6 instant rebate.

got it today, i'm happy with it. it's a lot brighter than my dads dell 193 that i borrowed until i could get a new unit. it also handles 1280x1024 great, compared to the dell which for some reason, didn't handle it well at all... :shrug:

i tried oblivion on it, and it looks great, but if you're running through a narrow corridor, it seems almost like the edges of the screen flash or flicker...any idea what that might be? maybe i just need to adjust something...
next test is battlefield2...

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a typo on the information for the monitor that roth suggested? I'm having a hard time believing the 2ms response time. Isn't it more likely 12ms?

Latest posts