OrbRaw or FF3 Beamshot?

lightrod

Enlightened
No beamshots - not yet anyway - but I did take a few measurements on my Raw Ns and my FF3.

The Ns with the turned down Joker relector was offered for a bit in the May/June time frame and was advertised as being the same brightness as the Raw. I cannot attest to that either way, but it does have a tight and bright spot, much more so than the standard reflector.

Anyway FWIW here's what I have:

Initial throw (meters) on max output:
FF3 28, Ns 28....... Dead heat.
After 3 minutes? FF3 26, Ns 26...... Now this is a donnybrook...
6 minutes: FF3 25, Ns 24...... FF3 by a head....
10 minutes: FF3 25, Ns 22..... Now by a full length...
15 minutes: FF3 24, Ns 21......Ns desperately trying to hang on...
16 minutes: Ns pulls up lame - she's spent! FF3 still 24...
30 minutes: FF3 slowing steadily but still galloping at 22...
(FF3 to 50% output at 37 minutes)

How about total initial output?
My numbers show FF3 lumens at about 70; Ns at 50. Much more spill beam on the FF3. The FF3 lux drops 50% from the center to 6 degrees off center; the Ns drops 70%.

It's not really a fair match since the FF3, although very small, is still in a much larger size class than the Ns. And the RCR123 battery has twice the volume of the tiny R14250 (1/2 AA) cell.

My guess is that the Raw numbers initially would be very similar, but with the larger (RCR2) cell is would run not 15 but maybe more like 25 minutes before cashing in. DO I NEED TO GET ONE OF THOSE THINGS JUST TO FIND OUT??? Or can someone help.....please...

Now - if you're wondering why I'd risk my FF3 by totally ignoring the caution about running on burst for more than a minute or two just in the name of getting the burst runtime data, all I can say is call me crazy.... :crazy:

Last edited: