Map Light color choice

Screehopper

Enlightened
I wish the search feature was working, but it's not so I guess I'll post a new thread.

I participate in Monte Carlo road rallies that require me to read maps and instructions. I just finished the Midnight Run which ran from 7pm to 7am. Yup, the flashaholics dream event. Rally lights on the car, flashlights to light up road signs, and more lights to read the maps and instructions in the car.

I've gotten by with a headlamp and used my friend's homebrew blue LED clipboard. The blue LED's worked okay when the batteries were fresh, but once it got dim the blue was terrible for map reading.

I'm wondering what's your opinion on map light color choice? red? green? stick with standard white? I'm also trying not to blind the driver at the same time so map light color choice is a bit of a compromise.

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep...dim white -- main reason being if you use a color, that color will "disappear" on the map when you look at it with that color light.

Military maps are "red-light readable"...they make features that would normally be in red more of a brownish color so it'll show up under red light.

JM-99

highorder

Enlightened
Jumpmaster said:
Yep...dim white -- main reason being if you use a color, that color will "disappear" on the map when you look at it with that color light.

Military maps are "red-light readable"...they make features that would normally be in red more of a brownish color so it'll show up under red light.

JM-99

for special missions, we print maps in greyscale to facilitate red LED compatability. it is the easy solution without modifing the map.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depending on your map. Red is a color that will protect your night vision and the drivers. So, as long as your map doesn't have anything red on it, you'll be able to see anything. But anything red on the map is going to be hard to see on that map since the red LED will wash out the red on the map.

If red is going to be a problem then i'd suggest going with a really dim white. They have these "finger" led lights that are for pilots that just strap onto your finger. They are really tiny and dont produce much light at all. But it will be plenty sufficient for night adjusted eyes.

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
I do some rallies with my classic Mini Cooper too, and nightvision saving is NOT needed. The reflected light from the cars headlights is enough to kill the nightvision you are trying to preserve.
As mentioned before, dim white would be the best. headlamps are no good, as it is very easy to blind or distract a driver with the light moving around. I made a clipboard with some warm white leds on the left side. As I'm driving a LHD car, they shine away from me as I'm in the driversseat, so the chance of looking into the leds is minimized.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a nice white Photon Micro Freedom. Set it to the level you like and just use it for the map reading.

(unless you have an HDS EDC or other similar multi-level light.)

Jeff

Screehopper

Enlightened
The official maps given to us for the rallies are in black and white. So yeah, any color would do. But white was definitely easier on my eyes once I started highlighting and marking up the map.

Thanks for the link.

I guess I'll just stick with the lowest setting on my white LED headlamp. I want to remain handsfree so it's either going to be a headlamp or a dedicated map light attached to some part of the car or a clipboard.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you dont care about the LED color, then use one of those single button cell finger mounts that they make for pilots. It'll be light enough to illuminiate your maps. It's technically hands free because it velcros to your finger and you dont have to hold it. Dim enough if you accidentally shine it in the drivers face, he wont go blind.

The one battery in there will practically last forever too.

dta116

Newly Enlightened
I was told (somewhere) the military is switching to green.

Personally, I purchased a Streamlight NightCom (green).
http://www.brightguy.com/detail.php?Sku=STR51023

It is a versitile light. One Bright Xenon lamp, two bright green leds, one low lux green led, very low.

The low beam led is extremely low, I was able to read the map in the passenger seat with my wife driving without any bother to her at all.

Hope you find what you are looking for, and please post back when you do, we all can benefit from your experience.

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
dta116 said:
I was told (somewhere) the military is switching to green.

Green distrubs night vision equipment less than other colors. If you're not using NVGs, there's no specific benefit to using green at night.