Should I buy SL PP 4AA or there is something else?...

mega_lumens

Enlightened
I want to get several lights for use in emergency situations.

After reading many threads, I've chosen SL PP 4AA (3W LED). Before I start buying the light, I want to make sure that I'm making a right choice. Are there other LEDs in the same price range that are better, or is this light the best for the price, quality and output?

Who sells SL PP 3W for the lowest price? (I'm looking to buy 3)

Thanks

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello mega lumens:)

You are sure it has 3W? Perhaps a new model. The ones I know have 1W Lux.
This are good lights. For the price the ones with the best throw I know.

But other lights are also very good. Take a look to the Fenix series. The new L1T and L2T are also AA lights and they have 3W Lux in. But the throw of the SL PP 4xAA is better.

Best regards

____
Tom

iamerror

Enlightened
The Streamlight 4AA Propolymer Luxeon should make a good emergency light. The flashlight should be easy to locate, bright, has a nice runtime, uses common batteries, and is waterproof. You may also look at some lights that have extremely long runtimes.

If you are looking for the luxeon version, make sure you get the luxeon version. Streamlight also has the 4AA Propolymer with a xenon bulb and one with 7 LEDs. They all look the same and have similar names.

Last edited:

mega_lumens

Enlightened
I'm interested in the Lux version. I'm wrong about the 3W, I think I got that from one ebay listing. lol

Is the SL pp on fox-intl site a Lux version?

I know that the SL pp is a good thrower but does it have good side spill?

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fox carries all three models of the 4AA Propoly. The Luxeon model is the one that is listed for $24.95.

The spill is very good for short range usage (e.g. walking, looking into a residential sized room, etc.) If it's dark out, the spill will cast enough light to light up a wide area about 20-25' away.

mega_lumens said:
I'm interested in the Lux version. I'm wrong about the 3W, I think I got that from one ebay listing. lol

Is the SL pp on fox-intl site a Lux version?

I know that the SL pp is a good thrower but does it have good side spill?

CLHC

Flashaholic
Go with the Streamlight 4AA ProPolymer Luxeon, it sure is quite an awesome light in its class. Also, as already suggested, Fox International has great pricing on it with fast delivery times. I ordered from them and will do again.

Another on to look at is the eternaLight Ergo Marine or even the eternaLight EliteMax. There's also the UK series of LED lights.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

Razor

Newly Enlightened
If you're looking at the Lux ProPoly, you may also want to take a glance at the Underwater Kenetics 4AA eLed. It's the same shape as the ProPoly, but it sacrifices throw and power in the interest of more run time. If this is a situation that needs long-running lights, the eLed may be a better choice. Either way, however, both will serve you well.

Here's a review of the eLed:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/uk_4aaeled.htm

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SL Propoly 4AA Lux is bright, rugged, well regulated, and runs 3-4 hours. That may not be long enough for steady use in an emergency. You might consider buying some good quality 2D flashlight and putting in a SMJLED bulb (costs $10 shipped). That will give you days of continuous on run time at medium brightness levels. That's would I would also want if I didn't know how long my emergency was going to last.

jezzyp

Enlightened
Can't go wrong with the propoly.
Its bright and lasts 4 hours.

Other than that I'd recommend the fenix lights as they are a bit smaller.
I have 4 L1ps as part of my emergency stuff. Once your eyes have adjusted to darkness they are bright enough for any task and with 2 hours runtime you would get 8 hours for the same battery use as one propoly.
Also if you search around here you can find simple instructions to modify them to be less bright but last five times longer.
If I can mod them, anyone can.

mega_lumens

Enlightened
Thanks everyone, I'm going to stick with SL PP.

I think 4-6 hour run time is good enough with a bright light. I might later add a lantern type light with a much longer runtime to my emergency kit.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just checked the SL 4AA Lux review over at Flashlightreviews, and I noticed that he also did a runtime test with NIMH cells. It got 4/12 hr regulation! Have any of you guys been using rechargables in this light? I just want to make sure it is completely safe before I start doing it.

On the same note has anyone completed a runtime test with Energizer Lithiums? I can only imagine how awesome the regulation/runtime would be with them.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
adirondackdestroyer said:
Have any of you guys been using rechargables in this light? I just want to make sure it is completely safe before I start doing it.

I've run a ridiculous amount of NIMHs through mine without a problem. I've used lithiums too, though I was far too busy with other things to keep track of runtime. They worked, though.

Cheers. :buddies:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I think the PP 4AA LUX is a FANTASTIC light!

I've told this story before but here it is again. In QUALITY dark out in the sticks at my buddies cabin we had several lights between us. But two in particular are mentioned here.

I had a Maxfire with a SF P60 lamp module and pretty fresh SF cells, and a ProPoly 4AA LUX with 2-3 day since charged NimH cells.

The PP could light up anything the P60 could! When you consider that the P60 will be dead in an hour, and the PP LUX will go 4+ hours it's a no brainer!

Also on that night my MC60 was the undisputed KING of that darkness!

PJ

Enlightened
The ProPoly Luxeon is a great light. Great throw, some usable side spill and runs on easily available batteries.

You might also want to look into getting one of the 7 LED ProPoly lights to add to the collection. It makes a good task light and runs for days on new batteries. I believe the bodies can be swapped so you'd have a backup if one goes bad.