Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Thunderbird

Votes: 18 33.3%
  • Other...what?

Votes: 19 35.2%

• Total voters

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been teetering between Eudora an Thunderbird as an e-mail program. Was curious what some of you may use? Your thoughts or other suggestions for mail progams welcomed too.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I used Eudora for years and years and years (after I stopped using Pegasus). Once I started using a PDA and realized I needed separate applications to do each PDA task, I reluctantly started using Outlook. I now sync with our Exchange server and am good to go, worldwide access to my stuff. :)

I'm switching to Thunderbird as soon as it's merged with Calendar and can sync with Windows Mobile.

Thunderbird is more similar to Outlook than to Eudora, IMO. I also played with IncrediMail, but it should be called BugMail... :green:

jhereg

Enlightened
I use Eudora at home, web based email w/ a different account anywhere, Outlook at work, and Thunderbird Portable on my flash drive. I don't like outlook. My favorite is Eudora, but the others have their place.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ten years ago, I would use Eudora every chance I could (as long as I was not forced to use Microsoft LookOut groupwhere)...

I use Thunderbird for home now--(because I am cheap). Works well, but how come every email package (except the old Eudora--don't know about current releases) buries the data files and makes it almost impossible to copy and copy back files for backup and restores.

The old Eudora, you really only needed to copy off one file for each mail storage area. Thunderbird, after you go down through hidden directories, you can find the data--but you have to be careful to put them back and reconfigure Thunderbird exactly or you need up with a lost restore--I guess, unless you are willing to keep playing around.

My other pet peeve is the programs that have import and export functions--but they can't seem to export and import to themselves (unless it is some item by item or email by email stuff).

-Bill

carrot

Flashaholic
I used to use Apple's Mail.app and Mozilla Thunderbird... and at one point Outlook Express and Ximian Evolution... but now, Gmail is the webmail that does it all for me. I have a little widget on my desktop that logs me in and tells me how many emails I've got, and that's convenient enough.

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
All I use for email anymore if GMail, and honestly, their web service is so much nicer than any others so its a breath of fresh air to use it rather than a program (as GMail does has POP access now).

-C

Roy82

Newly Enlightened
Thunderbird for me. I have work and 2 personal profiles setup. Used to use Outlook, so feels similar to that. I really like it, but realistically some features aren't as strong, like the spelling and composition, and definately the backing up. I use a third party program for that regularly, can't lose the work stuff.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
All email programs pretty much suck for one reason or another, but they do not all suck equally. i've used most of them over the years and never really been happy with any of them.

Right now I'm using the generically named "Mail.app" that comes with MacOS, and feature wise and reliability wise I'm very happy with it, but speed wise it is annoying. Eudora was the king of speed on the Mac back in the day, but I couldn't get decent spam filtering software for it at the time so I switched. I would never use outlook, I've repaired too many databases for people at work that lost all their email.

cy

Flashaholic
Thunderbird has been my mail client, since it was available in beta.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Outlook Express, because it's always there.

I have Microsoft Office and thus have Outlook, but I'm used to Outlook Express, and and my feeble mind hasn't so far figured out why Outlook is better.

By the way, I can let you Outlook Express users in on a little secret. You want to backup your mail or transfer it to another Outlook Express? Couldn't be easier. Select all your messages in your inbox folder, then drag and drop them to a regular folder. All the messages will appear in the regular folder as .eml files. To import them into a new Outlook Express, just select the messages in the regular folder and drag and drop them into the new Outlook Express inbox window. But you must promise not to tell where you heard this :)

By the way, I don't need synching, and I don't need backups. I have several XPs installed amongst my two computers and I let Outlook Express in several of my XP user accounts pull down the mail. But I tell Outlook Express not to delete the mail on the server after downloading. I only allow one of the OE accounts to delete the mail on the server, and only after 20 days.

Last edited:

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is nice to hear about Outlook (backup by dragging--still doesn't work for T-Bird...).

I also have two computers and only allow one to delete after a week. Also, I have T-Bird to setup to delete from the server anytime the message is moved from the local in-box. That way, with the anti-spam setup to move spam to the junk folder, it keeps my online mail box fresh and clean smelling all day long....:)

-Bill

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should mention one thing about the drag and drop from the OE inbox to the regular folder. It's slow, maybe 1000 msgs per minute, and during the copy operation, the bleepin' windows are frozen. So if you never delete your messages and have thousands, be patient and have faith. :)

vector_joe

Newly Enlightened
Netscape mail. Works well since I use Netscape Navigator for my browser. Have used Outlook, outlook express, incredimail. I like netscape the best. Now to see if I can get my gmail into it.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
carrot said:
I have a little widget on my desktop that logs me in and tells me how many emails I've got, and that's convenient enough.

I use Gmail also. Where can I find the "Widget"? :sold: