What a weird day!!! Elderly mans dog killed...

jpfaff

Newly Enlightened
Went to leave the house earlier today, and noticed my elderly next door neighbor holding his dog wrapped in a towel. The light went of when I seen people gather around him and I noticed blood dripping down his side. Here are other next door neighbors have two american bulldogs and I guess he was walking his dog on a leash on the sidewalk. Meantime the owners of the bulldogs let them outof the kennel to go potty. They don't have no fence. So as you can imagine the bulldogs attacked the elderly mans dog and him shaking the dog to death, literally. The owners of the bulldogs should be shot for not having the fence. Any hoot the police and the dog warden came. Long story short both the bull dogs as well as the 4 brand new puppies were taken and put to sleep because of the stupidity of the owners. And the elderly man lost his best friend.

Last edited:

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
That really sucks!!!! People, IMO should be allowed to keep dangerous pets, but should also be held accountable for them when the inevitable "accident" occassionally occurs. Doesn't change the fact it really sucks!!! When my last pet died, a cat (poisoned by a neighbor, I think) died, I vowed to never be owned by an animal again. I really feel sorry for the guy!

Larry

jpfaff

Newly Enlightened
My wife was a vet tech and so I told her to go and see if she could do anything. The paramedics came to check the guy out and she gave the dog an iv from the medics. But she told him somberly that their wasnt much she could do. I guess the dogs had broken its legs as well as organs were hanging out. I beleive that we have a law here as too how many dos you are allowed and I beleive thats why the puppies were takn and put down. I beleive its one. We all as neighbors never said nothing until now.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I really feel for that guy also. Man, that is so unjust. I am sorely temped to say something stronger about those idiot neighbors of his but I won't.
:mad:

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i feel bad for all tyhe dogs invollved people take respobilty for ya pets morons.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel sad for the old guy, nothing worse than losing a companion like that. He was probably closer to that dog than most people if he was alone, not sure why I took it that way but it felt like that. I hope he has other family.

It is terrible they did not have their dogs under control or in a controllable environment.

jpfaff

Newly Enlightened
Yes,
It was a crazy day for sure. I want to do something for him. Im gonna see if the neighbors want to chipin and get him a new one or one from the shelter.. He needs a friend for sure. We all do wether hairy or not...

Cliffnopus

Enlightened
That'd be great jpfaff, especially a shelter dog. It'd be a win-win, good for him, good for the dog.

Let's hope your next door neighbors, the ones with the bulldogs, never have any children. God knows how they would turn out.
Cliff

raggie33

*the raggedier*
people suck i swaer i taught my dog it took time but he was a sweatie he is a chow mix and chows have a bad rep but mine was so sweet he would just play with other dogs .he didnt like bad people though

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
people need to understand that some dog breeds are very powerful... not that they are bad or dangerous... but they are powerful and strong willed...

if you have these kinds of dogs... its only common sense to have a fence... yikes...

i want a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog... friendly yet confident and protective... and its BIG so most will be scared off by it :D

Dawg

Enlightened
Very sad and unfortunate. I love all animals. Very sad. I would not want to make people suffer for such a mistake. Education is the key to curing ignorance. Too bad someone did not recognize the potential danger and intervene.

carrot

Flashaholic
Put the dogs to sleep and not their owners??

Maybe that's going a little too far, but the owners need to have a greater penalty than have their dogs taken; I don't know what. It's a bulldog's nature to be aggressive and kill things... why blame only the dogs? Stupidity is not an excuse.

Last edited:

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes, tell him you're coming over next week to take him to the shelter to get a new dog. Dont buy one from a breeder, he can save the life of a wonderful pet from your local humane society.

Dont give him a choice, you're taking him to get another dog.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
its not the peoples fault really, i mean, you cant controll your dogs. They will fight. The only crime i see here is not puting your dog on a leash, and i dont always do that either. And I think it sux that they put all the other dogs to sleep too, because now the other person lost a best friend.. many best friends.

-David

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
cheapo said:
its not the peoples fault really, i mean, you cant controll your dogs. They will fight. The only crime i see here is not puting your dog on a leash, and i dont always do that either. And I think it sux that they put all the other dogs to sleep too, because now the other person lost a best friend.. many best friends.

-David

I'm sorry Cheapo, that's all BS. A person *can* control their dog. A person *knows* that dogs will fight and kill things. That is *why* a person controls their dog. Control through a leash, a fence, or proper training. A person not controlling their dog is just as guilty as one not controlling their car.

Truly sorry for the elderly man. Definitely do like James S. says and take the guy to get a new dog.

Cheers.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it is their fault for just the reason you mention; they didn't control their (murderous) dogs.

You should control your dog too, to keep it from killing, or being killed.

I think it'll be a slam dunk in court, it's worth thousands..make them pay for their callous disregard of the safety of others.

(It's crazy; they ban ownership of harmless little ferrets that don't hurt anyone or anything, but allow these killer beasts that kill and maim other dogs, and the ocassional human, to walk down the street.)

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's one thing if you have a dog, either the individual dog or the breed, that is calm and submissive and occasionally gets in "normal" dog fights. These are always very short and although they look and sound nasty, they are just a lot of growling and nipping and neither dog gets hurt since they are just trying to establish who is dominant.

My mother's husky lays around all day, unchained and unfenced, watches other dogs stroll by and never goes after other dogs. The only time he gets in fights is when another dog comes into the yard and even then he is always friendly at first until the other dog gets aggressive. And he never pursues them once they back down, or he does, it's over. He occasional makes a tour of the neighborhood, and is friendly with the other dogs and people. I've even had neighbors come by to warn me and make sure he is at home when they see Animal Control on patrol. Fortunately, we live in a somewhat rural area outside the city limits and Animal Control is very accepting of loose but under control animals as long as it is apparent that they are at the homes of their owners. Their primary goal is to get the strays that people from the city dump out here on a routine basis.

All that being said, two pit bulls (an agressive breed) who normally have to be kept in a kennel being allowed to run loose, attacking a small dog, and shacking it to death is NOT a normal dog fight for dominance. This is a dog that was bred for hunting following it's instincts to kill. Owners have a responsibility to know the proclivities of the breed and to take precautions until the individual animal has shown a long history of acceptable behaviour. There is a balance between "It's all the owners fault" and "All dogs fight". Personally, I think the "First bite free" type of law is a reasonable balance. As much as I love my Mom's husky, if he had done this type of "kill the prey" attack, that would be sufficient proof that he was a danger and should be put down. There is a limit to how much, and what type of, "animal behaviour" can be tolerated as normal before it becomes an unacceptable danger to others.

Last edited: