The new vehicle that I want but they won't sell to me!

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Diesels are going to become increasingly prevalent. Powernoodle would consider buying one. A Grand Cherokee or F-250 getting 19mpg in the city would be pretty nice; or a turbo diesel Jetta pushing 40mpg.

Perhaps you should move to a free state where they'll let you buy a dang diesel.

cheers!

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Call me old fashioned, but they never should have made the WK (the current model) the only Grand Cherokee available. If I'm buying a Jeep, I want something with offroad cred. The WJ (99-04) was the last full-size Jeep 'wheeler. I drive a '94 ZJ (92.5-98). If I was in the market for a WK I'd just get a Honda or something.

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sigman said:
So Marty, what about running "next door" to a neighboring state and getting one there?

I don't know if I could register it in CA because of the emission control restrictions here. The DMV insists on registering all vehicles with out-of-state plates within 60 days so I couldn't drive around for long with Arizona or Nevada plates.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Marty,
Check the DMV rules, you may be able to get one with 7.5k miles in CA. It's been my experience a non CA emissions gas vehicle can be brought in if the miles are above 7.5k so a diesel may be the same. That type rule has been in effect on the upper east coast for a few years but once a diesel VW has 6-8k miles on it they can be brought in there.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I looked at the jeep since it was die-sel, but I want at least 40mpg before I would consider it. I heard vw aint making no more die-sels til 08 cause of a fuel rail redesign. I rather have the vw golf, but hear my local dealer doesnt and wont sell any more.

drizzle

Enlightened
ABTOMAT said:
Call me old fashioned, but they never should have made the WK (the current model) the only Grand Cherokee available. If I'm buying a Jeep, I want something with offroad cred. The WJ (99-04) was the last full-size Jeep 'wheeler. I drive a '94 ZJ (92.5-98). If I was in the market for a WK I'd just get a Honda or something.
Interesting! I didn't know they changed it. I have a 98 ZJ. I bought it because it is beefier than the typical SUV. I guess I won't be trading in for a new one.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
powernoodle said:
Royalty is always addressed in the third person.

cheers!
A few of us have always known about powernoodle's royalty status...but sigh, now the cat's out of the bag! :D

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
drizzle said:
Interesting! I didn't know they changed it. I have a 98 ZJ. I bought it because it is beefier than the typical SUV. I guess I won't be trading in for a new one.

The WJ that came out in '99 was a modernization of the ZJ in most ways. Better transmissions, better suspension, etc. The new WK is designed much more for on-road performance. Sort of like when the Liberty replaced the Cherokee. Short independant suspension, stuff hanging out underneath. They're a lot harder to get into offroading shape--most discussions you see online surrounded WKs are about what stereos or spinner wheels look best, as opposed to 5" lifts and knobbly rubber for older ones.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
ABTOMAT said:

Yah, says someone who doesn't even have a WJ! :) We have a WJ w/QD and I don't see the WK as that much of a step down. Yah, it's now got IFS, but the WK's QD still is going to be better AWD system than almost anything this side of lockers IMO. Also, the GC is still built much sturdier than most SUVs.

Interestingly enough, the '07 Wrangler will come in a 4-door unlimited trim which has a longer wheelbase than the JGC. I wonder if that could be considered a full-size? No doubt the Rubicon Unlimited should still have some off street "cred".

-john

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
cobb said:
I looked at the jeep since it was die-sel, but I want at least 40mpg before I would consider it. I heard vw aint making no more die-sels til 08 cause of a fuel rail redesign. I rather have the vw golf, but hear my local dealer doesnt and wont sell any more.

You aren't going to find anything very large that gets 40mpg.

-john

copiertech

Newly Enlightened
Youre really missing out with the ford tdci engines we have over here, the 2.0 16v tdci mondeo ( euro contour) gets 130ps with 330nm of torque at 1800 rpm, with very good economy. the immense torque makes you lazy, i sometimes stay in 5th gear (6 speed box) at 30mph, doing about 1050rpm, still pulls away when you put the foot down. the 3.0 v6 petrol only makes 263nm at 4900rpm.
I want one of the 2.2 tdci engines you can get in the ghia or st models , 400nm of torque, thats 295 lb/ft of grunt with 34-38mpg average round town or 46-50mpg on the motorway is what the 2.2s at my work are getting the 2.0s are getting slightly higher but only by 1 or 2 mpg.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Marty, you need to buy it out of state and used. My brother bought a new (mfg'd in India) Royal Enfield motorcycle from a dealer in Nevada that (by pre-arrangement) ran the miles up to be eligeble. :green: The process could be a bit trickier with a Grand Cherokee, given the odometer's operation. :green:

Larry

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
tvodrd said:
Marty, you need to buy it out of state and used. My brother bought a new (mfg'd in India) Royal Enfield motorcycle from a dealer in Nevada that (by pre-arrangement) ran the miles up to be eligeble. :green: The process could be a bit trickier with a Grand Cherokee, given the odometer's operation. :green:

Larry

I need a new car in the next few months. Since this will be a 2007 model, it's going to be a while 'til I find one with enough mileage to be considered used.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Marty, it's not that tough! Fly to Vegas or Reno. Buy it.

Do a cross-country drive visiting as many flashaholics as you can in a semi direct route, say Vegas-Dallas-New Orleans-Miami-Atlanta-Charleston-DC-New Jersey/New York-Chicago-Minneapolis-Kansas City-Denver-Billings-Spokane-(You can stay with us in between these two)-Seattle-Portland-Sacramento-San Franscisco-LA-Home. You can do it easily and enjoyably in 30 days and 10,000 miles and voila, a used diesel that you can license in the Peoples Republic of California!!!

Bill

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here we go, a Grand Cherokee comparison. :) :grin2:

ZJ:
fc2aa811.jpg

WJ:
fd2ff503.jpg

WK:
wk.jpg

Last edited: