Mods for the 3152 Amondotech Illuminator

FireStik

Newly Enlightened
Thought I'd share my first mod for the incredible AI HID that mtbkndad worked so hard to get for us. If you haven't seen this light yet, you'll definately want to check it out:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/118392

I replaced the power switch with an EC-399 military-style missile control safety switch from directron.com. The original switch was somewhat cleverly mounted underneath the handle, which I assume was to protect it from accidental power-ons, and possibly from rain. But my clumsy paws seemed to activate the switch every time I picked the damn thing up, so I had to move it out of there.

switchall0af.jpg

FireStik

Newly Enlightened
The safety hood is spring loaded, and stays down nicely.

switchclosed1yh.jpg

When the hood is opened up, the spring holds it in position and the toggle is ready to be activated.

switchoff2hs.jpg

FireStik

Newly Enlightened
Turning off the switch a single step process. You simply close the hood and it moves the toggle to the off position on its way down.

In this photo you can see the O-ring protection and thick, high quality plastic hood.

switchon1af.jpg

Last edited:

FireStik

Newly Enlightened
In order to mount the switch, it was necessary to remove the front part of the strap. I chose to remove my entire strap, and plug the holes with wood and epoxy.

straphardware4zn.jpg

If you pull both sides outward at the same time, the strap hardware can be removed without damage.

Last edited:

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
That Wood looks sort of like Kingwood.

I seems too dense to be purple heart.
and Purpleheart does not generally have those dark grain lines.
But this is a tiny sample to judge by.

What kind of wood is it?

That is a really nice mod. :thumbsup:
I can't wait to see what other people come up with for theirs.

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

FireStik

Newly Enlightened
Ha, you're right, it does look a little like an exotic wood. Actually it's just some plain ole' birch that I had laying around. It was stained red so I added a layer of black which gives it that strange purplish color.

I'm still thinking about converting to Li-Poly cells since I have so many 3s packs around (lots of R/C birds), but the lead-acid is providing plenty of runtime so I'll probably wait awhile. I also hate the idea of opening the AI when I want to fly that pack.