Sylvania Panelescent Nite-Lite

Ptj1967

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for an original Sylvania Panelescent Nite-Lite from the 1960s/1970s, preferably in working or semi-working condition. This particular one is rectangular, and the illuminated part is shaped like an old TV screen with rounded corners. When plugged in, it emits a bluish-green glow. Does anyone have one for sale, or know where I can get one? Thanks in advance.

Paul J.
Tucson, AZ

billw

Enlightened
Do you really need an original? Similar nightlights have been showing
up quite recently due to their "energy saving" nature:
http://www.greenstore.com/techno/eurolite.html
(I've seen similar things all over.)

IIRC, EL phosphors are moisture senstive; I doubt whether such a light
from the 70s would still work (but you COULD replace the EL screen
with the one from a modern version, I guess.)

farmall

Enlightened
billw said:
IIRC, EL phosphors are moisture senstive; I doubt whether such a light
from the 70s would still work (but you COULD replace the EL screen
with the one from a modern version, I guess.)

I have one thats still working.

wbaker

Newly Enlightened
I have a round one, that was my dads, from the 60s, still working. I used it for years in the hallway, always on.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
These lights were first marketed in the fall of 1959. My dad was in the electrical wholesale business and brought one home as a curiosity.

I was fascinated with it. At ten and in the fifth grade, I took it to school. Every kid wanted one too. The came on a cardboard holder of twelve. I sold several cards to classmates for $1 per light.

There might still be a few of these at my parents house. We used them for bathroom night lights and in the hallway. They never stopped working.

Mark

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
minder9oc.jpg

Strangely, after having posted earlier, I remembered an old Chinese clone of this light. I've included a link above.

The incredibly small text under Minder at the top says: Research Corporation. I had it in my bedroom for about 10 years and the strong summer sun turned the face of the unit into a pukey yellow color.

I'm surprised at how well the pictures turned out considering the only available light was from a 15 watt fluorescent bulb (at about 11:30 pm). I used flash as well, but the available light shots were better. The camera's a 3.1 MP Kodak EasyShare CD33.

obiannie

Newly Enlightened
I have one from the early 60's, still works. I am actually listing it on e-bay today.

pattycake1227

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for an original Sylvania Panelescent Nite-Lite from the 1960s/1970s, preferably in working or semi-working condition. This particular one is rectangular, and the illuminated part is shaped like an old TV screen with rounded corners. When plugged in, it emits a bluish-green glow. Does anyone have one for sale, or know where I can get one? Thanks in advance.

Paul J.
Tucson, AZ
I posted a picture of the one I have.The one I have has never been used.Still on the card.It is exactly what you described.

WDG

Enlightened
If you're looking for something that does the same thing, there's the Limelite: http://www.limelite.com/ (I didn't realize they had so many different products.) I've used several of these around the house for years, and also take a couple on trips to use in dark hotel rooms. I seem to recall these being also available under the Indiglo brand name. Home Depot had them the last time I bought any, a few years ago.

Here's an archived CPF discussion of these I ran across on Google: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/39024

Last edited:

TMorita

Enlightened
I bet these look pretty funny when they're strapped to your forehead.

:whistle::whistle:

Toshi