Video Wall LED's

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Video Wall LED\'s

Hey all,
I am new to led's I work for an Audio Visual Firm and have 3 or 4 bad bricks from a LED Video Wall. They are full of red green and blue leds are this the same led's used in flashlights?

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
Re: Video Wall LED\'s

Is it possible for you to post a picture of the bricks?
It may be that each LED is a tricolour LED such as is used in some single-LED "rave" torches.
Are you thinking of extracting the LED's from the brick to install into torches?

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry I don't have a digital camera. I am going to try and get some out they appear to be in with an epoxy ( any ideas ) they do put then in groups of five two blue two red one green. These groups of five are in rows of 10 and heat synced.

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened

Thst sounds logical JT, as each group of 5 LED's will form 1 pixel of your videoscreen.
The eye is most sensitive to green light, so to balance the colour there are twice as many red and blue LEd's as there are greens.
It would be hard to determine how bright the LED's are for torch use. If the videoscreen is designed to be used in high daylight conditions then the LED's would have to be daylight-visible and therefore must emit a couple thousand mcd a piece. If you can extract them in thier pixel groups you could build a multicoloured LED torch which when driven properly could produce virtually any visible colour including white. The torch could be controlled either using simple pots and switches, or using a sophisticated microprocessor circuit such as one would find in an Eternalight Rave'n torch (as reviewed by several members of this forum).

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast

if they are potted in epoxy good luck pulling the leds.but if there are enough good ones you might try making an area light with it.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes these should be very bright the walls have a brightness setting of 1 to 10 indoors we run them at about 4-5 outdoors we run them at 7 to 8 at 10 they are blinding. Not sure who makes the LED the Wall is from Lighthouse. I am going to try and get them out and will let you know how it goes.

papasan

Enlightened

are you trying to scavenge them for flashlight use or fix the wall? i would imagine, at the price those things go for, that you're trying to fix it.

how old is this thing? fairly recent, yes? it's not under warrenty?

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened

Just dogpile.com-ed "LED Video Walls" and have seen the "bricks" you describe. The Luminosity specifications are not in any recognised brightness units like lumens or millicandela, but in "Nits"!
Someone out there, what are "Nits"?
The LED screen is measured at 5000 Nits.

Jonathan

Enlightened

Use the Dictionary of Units:

Nit

1 Nit means that 1 square meter of emitting surface will produce a 1 candela beam. Note that this unit is somewhat misleading, since candela are really defined in terms of light per unit solid angle, which implies that the light is a point source...and a video wall is clearly not a point source. So this unit really only applies when the source is far away compared to its size.

Since 1cm^2 is 1/10000 of a m^2, 5000 nit means that 1cm^2 of this device would produce a 500mCd beam; not the brightest of LEDs, but probably very wide angle.

-Jon

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast

They are under warrenty but they just send new bricks so I have lots of good leds to play with. Just was not sure if they would be as bright as the one's used for flashlights and it does not sound like they are. Thanks for the help all.

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened

Maybe they may not be the brightest LED's aroumnd, but if you can get one installed in a torch with a reflector, such as a Minimag, the wide-angle beam would be caught and focussed just like a filament torch's beam.It'd work really well if you could build a cluster bulb with the LEd's facing backwards...!