What difference between the old KL1 and the new Kl1 heads?

taro68

Newly Enlightened
Hello to everybody! I am sure that someone can explain what is the difference between the old KL1 and the new KL1 heads. i wait you replay! Thanks a lot.
Giovanni

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
The old KL1's were Lux-I with reflectors and the 4th gen KL1 is a Lux-III and uses a TIR optic so it's all spot and no flood.

Jeff

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
The old KL1 never had a reflector, but a NX05 optic.

1st generation: LUX 1 Low Dome - Flat bezel
2nd generation: LUX 1 Low Dome - Crown bezel
3rd generation: Lux 1 or 3, High Dome - Crown bezel

4th Generation: the actual KL1 with TIR optic.

Also, 4th generation KL1 is driven at 3 watts, while preceding generations were driven at 1 Watt.
All of them operates from 3 to 9 Volts, with an excellent boost-buck converter.

Anthony

JanCPF

Enlightened
Exactly what Anthony said, but I think the 4th gen. is run at approx. 500 mA, so with a Vf of say 3.5 volts, it would dissipate 1.75 watts in the LED. Generations 1-3 is AFAIK running at 330 mA (= approx. 1 watt).

Jan

Last edited:

taro68

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, now i would like know if is possible modded an old Kl1 head changing the emitter and optic?

shaman

Newly Enlightened
From my understanding the older KL1s are easier to mod than the current. I was able to mod the current gen 4 KL1 with moderate difficulties. Loctite is the primary concern, and a lot of it. After that it is simply unsoldering and resoldering. My current setup is...

KL1 4th Gen - Modded with a UW0J, FLuPIC, and modded 20 IMS reflector.
FB-1 - With modded switch fix.
RCR123A - Batterystation protected RCR123A.

With all the above I do like it and If I get the notion to use the TIR optic... no problem (and there is a big difference from the stop circuit & emitter to the FLuPIC & UW0J... both using the TIR optic)

Sincerely,

Shaman