Fenix L1T and L2T compared to X5?

meanwhile

Newly Enlightened
Are the Fenixes *noticeably* brighter than the X5, and how does the beam shape compare?

How do they compare for toughness and water resistance? I tend to use my EDC's in heavy rain, and carry them *all* the time.

I've been very happy with my X5, but brighter is always nice!

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello meanwhile:)

Welcome here:grin2:

I have an older X5 (newer are brighter) and a L1P and can say the L1P is much brighter with a much better throw.
The X5 is good for the near until 10m. After that it's not bright enough for me.
The L1T should be brighter than my L1P.
And the tint of the L1P I like much more. The X5 is very blueish.

You will be not disappointed with the Fenix.

Best regards

____
Tom

meanwhile

Newly Enlightened
Long John said:
Hello meanwhile:)

Welcome here:grin2:

I have an older X5 (newer are brighter) and a L1P and can say the L1P is much brighter with a much better throw.
The X5 is good for the near until 10m. After that it's not bright enough for me.
The L1T should be brighter than my L1P.
And the tint of the L1P I like much more. The X5 is very blueish.

You will be not disappointed with the Fenix.

Best regards

____
Tom

Thanks, Tom - very useful.

But is throw always a positive characteristic when two lights are relatively matched for output? I often prefer a wider beam.

dim

Enlightened
UnknownVT has posted some nice "practical beamshots" of the Inova X5 and the Fenix L1 v2.5 HERE.

dim

rider

Newly Enlightened
The X5 is at least as bright as the L1T (at least run on alkalines), but definitely dimmer than the L2T on alkalines. Both Fenixes throw SIGNIFICANTLY farther than the X5. However... what does this really mean? I think for anything closer than 20-30 feet, the X5 provides a more useful illumination pattern. The new model has an absolutely flawless beam that is excellent as a task light, for inspections, etc. If you're trying to spotlight anything at > 20 feet, you'll find the concentrated hotspot of the Fenixes a lot more useful.

I've extensively used both lights in a number of circumstances, and keep an X5 in the car glovebox, use it for inspecting things up close (no hotspot to wash out details, and a perfectly smooth brightness decay towards the edge of the beam), use it for walking, etc.

The Fenix makes a compact mini-spot for walks or looking at the top of short tree or in the corner of a garage. I'd say it substitutes for an Inova T1/T2, but has a brighter hotspot and smoother and brighter spillbeam.

I find the output characteristics of the lights to be more complementary than overlapping.

meanwhile

Newly Enlightened
Dim, rider - that's excellent: thank you.

As the X5 is just the right size for me, and I wouldn't want a narrower beam, I'll stay with it. I may pick a green or blue to go with my white.