Maglite 4D LED module, disappointed

Nice and bright for five minutes or so, then its dimmed down to about half the output.

When initially powered on, it draws around 3.8watt, but drops to 1.65watts as it reaches operating temperature, which is less than ten minutes. Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon draws 2.25W after its warmed up, so the Mag 4D, while offering way better runtime, the output is about the same, or less than the much more portable SL. It offers adjustable focus and maybe better throw, but the size does not justify the output. The 4D module consumes more current from 3 cells than 4 cells showing that it is voltage regulated, however others have reported that the 2D and the 3D counterparts are not regulated like this.

I'm going to return the 4D module and put my xenon lamp back in for when i need a good throw. I'll just use my SL 4AA that performs quite favorably to the 4D Mag LED for everyday thing. I lose the ability to change focusing and only get five hours of use per charge, but its got a lanyard and fits in pants pocket, so overall I'm gaining a lot.

rider

Newly Enlightened
The 4-D module has absolutely great throw, and will focus down to less than 75% of the diameter of the best I can do with the incan bulb. The light dropoff is significant after a few minutes of runtime (as Newbie's excellent tech review indicates) and quite noticeable. The black hole donut effect due to Mag's useless reflector is what really makes it useless to me. It's a great light saber and 2 minute spotlight, but after that, you're just left with a club.

I'll note that the hotspot can be made so small and intense that it makes an Inova T3 look like a floodlight.

rider said:
The 4-D module has absolutely great throw, and will focus down to less than 75% of the diameter of the best I can do with the incan bulb. The light dropoff is significant after a few minutes of runtime (as Newbie's excellent tech review indicates) and quite noticeable. The black hole donut effect due to Mag's useless reflector is what really makes it useless to me. It's a great light saber and 2 minute spotlight, but after that, you're just left with a club.

I'll note that the hotspot can be made so small and intense that it makes an Inova T3 look like a floodlight.

How far away did you project the beam to test it? Project it 150-200ft away with the xenon bulb (better throw than krypton, because of filament placement). Try again with LED module. Xenon wins.

bkkd

Newly Enlightened
yes everything you said is absolutly right, ..........but.........for some aplications the magled is an improvement over the incan modle and here is why........

longer runtime............much longer

the output may be less after it heats up but its still bright enuff and provides good enuff throw. just look at what output a incan maglite has after being on an hour and you tell me which one is brighter, the incan or the throttled down led.

there are brighter, smaller, better etc etc out there, but what i did was take an existing maglite body and drop the module in, and lets see for about 18.00 ive got a light that i CAN use as a club if i need it, especially if i have to roam the woods at night looking for somebody that doesnt want to be found, trust me there is nothing worse than being in the middle of nowwhere and having a maglite thats starts to go dim after about 2 hours and you got about 6 hours of night left............

and yes i do carry backup lights, but now i will have a club that has a long runtime at least..........