Help a lady catch catfish!

Hip-Pocket

Newly Enlightened
Hi! I am new to this site. I know very little about flashlights...well, o.k., I don't know much at all. I am an avid hunter and fisher. I often jugfish for catfish at night. I need a battery operated flashlight that will throw a beam a good distance, several hundred feet. Is there such an animal at a decent price? I used to have a lantern that used a 6V that worked very well, till a friend borrowed it and lost it. I have a number of flashlights and right now, a simple, tiny hands free headlight I own throws the best and longest beam! Please help me. I'm not stupid, just ignorant...:)

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF!! I'd guess that you'd probably want to look at UK or PT for some of their dive lights, they'd be well versed in what you're looking to do..

Hip-Pocket

Newly Enlightened
Thank you, Mr. Flasholic! I will check those out. When we are out jugging (here in the Arkansas Ozarks), Hubby is in the back of the boat with the Q-beam. I like to have a handheld in the front of the boat that will let me reach out a little ways. A bright, far reaching handheld is also good for frogging farm ponds!

TENMMIKE

Enlightened
welcome to cpf , sure, we have some body here who makes or Sell's what you need , what info we need is a bit more specific , will this light need to be submerged or only water resistant, if submerged to what depth?, i know what your doing but am unsure if you want it to go down with you as you gig(jug)? so i say less the 9 feet?+- a few feet, are you willing to buy and or charge batteries you cant get at the local ice house?, even if we swear thay are many times better?.there are many questions we need to know , but im certain that that old 6v latern, size for size and runtime can be easly beaten, in all aspects, by the guys here

what do you consider a decent price?, what type of run time do you expect?, do you want your light to be a high quality military spec light that you will take care of or just some plastic to be thrown in the back of the boat? and don't give a damn about? we have people here that can make a flashlight that will set paper on fire in a few seconds if you want, what we need from you is to hang around for a couple days so the guys that are building or we that know who already has a light like you want( this is the most likely) can understand what exatcly what you need , from your initial post, there are several that fit the bill,( decent price means a lot of different things to people especially if your not used to high end light) giving us a little clearer understanding of what you want, then we will get you what you want , because by visiting here you have hit the jack pot on knowledge about what is available . good luck hope to see you around ,

Hip-Pocket said:
Hi! I am new to this site. I know very little about flashlights...well, o.k., I don't know much at all. I am an avid hunter and fisher. I often jugfish for catfish at night. I need a battery operated flashlight that will throw a beam a good distance, several hundred feet. Is there such an animal at a decent price? I used to have a lantern that used a 6V that worked very well, till a friend borrowed it and lost it. I have a number of flashlights and right now, a simple, tiny hands free headlight I own throws the best and longest beam! Please help me. I'm not stupid, just ignorant...:)

Last edited:

cy

Flashaholic
welcome to cpf and hold on to your wallet!

loads of lights that will do what you need. main disadvantage is price. McGizmo's 27 LT will do the job nicely, but it's $225.

loads of good water resistant lights available like princeton tec impact XL. runs off 4x AA w/ one watt luxeon for aprox $20. good for close up duties.

TENMMIKE

Enlightened
you missed this part cy "I need a battery operated flashlight that will throw a beam a good distance, several hundred feet", im not sure but im thinking a SF M3T is what shes looking for.except i dont know what a decent price means to " normal people"

Last edited:

cy

Flashaholic
several hundred feet... hmmmm

need lots of lumens and a large reflector.

10 watt diving HID lights?

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hip-Pocket said:
I need a battery operated flashlight that will throw a beam a good distance, several hundred feet

cy said:
several hundred feet... hmmmm

need lots of lumens and a large reflector.

10 watt diving HID lights?

I think a well-driven, single Lux III mag mod might be a good candidate. I have Lambda's 3CN2D, just a mag 2D running Direct Drive off 3 NiMh C-cells pushing a Luxeon LED (TW0J (or was it H?)). Bought it for $60 new.

Definitely easily 150m (500ft) (of course as you know, the mag spot is quite narrow but should open up at that distance). Roughly 100 lumens and Lux is about 13500 from 1m.

I think he's stopped selling those but I bet a lot of ppl here could churn up a single luxeon mag mod, even with a converter if necc, for a decent price.

Not sure how far the new MagLEDs throw, but right out of the box, they might have a 100m or so throw already and might be a good off-the-shelf option too.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello and welcome!

Here are a few links to some popular light makers:
Princeton Tec (PT)
Underwater Kinetics (UK)
Pelican Lights
Streamlight

All of these companies make water resistant lights and are well respected manufacturers. Look around a bit to see what sounds like it fits your needs then come back here and see if anyone has experience with that model.

Price, size, battery type and ruggedness will all vary so once you narrow it down a bit for us it will be easier to help.

Good luck.
-LT