Lumaray...?

GrooveRite

Enlightened
No but I'd love to own one some day. I think their torches are unique and a work of art.

Taylorf

Enlightened
I don't have one but have been thinking of buying one for a while. I too think they are unique but in a good way. I like the futuristic look.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's a great concept and the light looks awesome. I just wished that they used brighter LED's. Maybe luxeon or something. That would make it brighter without costing much more for them.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got one of the FL12 w/ Nichia 500CS in it. It is quite bright, brighter than a number of Lux lights. I like the looks, the glow around the lenses and the unique release on the head.

They are also members of this forum and have a number of posts about their lights. I've yet to see anyone that has one mention being disappointed. I also haven't seen any on the secondary market on B/S/T, usually that's a good indicator that people like them.

I'm looking forward to a acid green or fluorescent yellow version for my bug out bag.

-LT

turb

Newly Enlightened
I have one of the FL12s and I love it for what it is. A great, general purpose light. I love the way it looks and the way it feels in the hand. I will be taking mine with me in about 10 days when I leave for my extended vacation. So it will definitely get its workout and I will be able to more accurately detail its survivability when I return.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a world where brighter, brighter, brighter seems to be all most can think about, they have designed lights with efficiency in mind. If you needed a big bright light and a small light for a hurricane kit, IMO it would be hard to find a better candidate for the big light than one of the Lumarays. (I'm partial to the new FL-6)

While 5mm arrays may seem retro to many, what Lumaray has done seems pretty high tech to me. The 600 hour runtime on the new FL-6-2006 is anything but retro.

Last edited:

Canuke

Enlightened
Sub_Umbra said:
While 5mm arrays may seem retro to many, what Lumaray has done seems pretty high tech to me. The 600 hour runtime on the new FL-6-2006 is anything but retro.

Since the CS and other >10k mcd units hit the market, there seems to have been a revival of new 5mm array lights.

I've got the FL-12 with the Nichia CS, and it definitely has a lot of design cachet to it in addition to being plenty bright. Working in the visual FX industry as I do, there are Mace Windu light sabers, Lord of the Rings swords etc. bristling from many artists' desks. My fully functional "Klingon beam weapon" commands quite a bit of respect in the geek arms race :)

I'm pondering a black FL-6 next.