HDS 42, Should I?

shaman

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,

Wanted to see what everyone else thought about the current situation with HDS model 42s. I just, and I mean this week, finished modding my new EDC... which is...

KL1 4th gen w/ UW0J FLuPIC and 20IMS on a FB-1.

which replaced my

Longbow micra w/ Wiz2 750 UX1L and 17IMS

And of course like all things, something else catches the eye shortly there after. So, should I get the HDS Basic 42? I know spare parts have to come from HDS if I have read correctly (which sometimes is a factor for some switches *cough* intermitent switch fix *cough*). Of course I am not speaking of HDS switch here :) . Anyways, my KL1 punches out a good bit... and I like. So would it be worth getting the HDS? Possibly dropping a UW0J in it (I've read the DIY HDS upgrade)? Just wanted some thoughts if everyone doesn't mind.

Thanks as always for the insights!

Sincerely,

Shaman

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO, the ultimate models are what make HDS worth the money. I suppose it depends on your personality. If you are the geeky sort (like myself) that enjoy options and programming your light, get an ultimate. If you are more of the utilitarian KISS principle sort, you'll enjoy the basic. :)

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
leukos said:
IMO, the ultimate models are what make HDS worth the money. I suppose it depends on your personality. If you are the geeky sort (like myself) that enjoy options and programming your light, get an ultimate. If you are more of the utilitarian KISS principle sort, you'll enjoy the basic. :)

The Basic still has 4 light levels... how many do you really need?

In reference to the original question, I suppose whether it's worth it depends on whether you've got an easy $100 to spend. They are great lights, but there will always be something better (and/or cheaper) around the corner.

shaman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies!

Well that is my trouble is.

My KL1 now has SOS,Strobe,Burst,Hi,Low... And I like it. So do I really need the HDS 42? I mean yeah I am a flashaholic like the rest of us here but $110 to get it to my current EDC and it wouldn't have strobe,SOS,etc (which is where the ultimate would come in).

To tell you the truth, If I could find someone will to sell one of their E-series Kroll 123 battery tubes that TranquilityBase recently did... I'd almost lean down that road. But I don't know...

Sincerely,

Shaman

cslinger

Enlightened
I have not found a better EDC light for me than the HDS series. I have an ultimate42 and a Basic 60LE. In a nutshell...

42 Lumens is plenty.
The Ultimate is more novelty as far as my needs are concerned.
The 4 stock light levels are perfectly spaced out.
Run time is phenomenal. I have been using the same U42 with the original battery since last October. it is used every night on the lower or primary settings and has seen quite bit of full blast use. Just yesterday did it kick down a level indicating the battery is starting to get winded. That is like 7 months of use and for all practical purposes she will likely go quite a bit longer. High is still available in short bursts.

All in all it is a fantastic light and with the Basic 42s being under 100 bucks it is a fantastic deal.

Go for it.

Theatre Booth Guy

Enlightened
I've got a HDS Basic 60 and my only complaint is that it's a little large for carry in a pocket. Do you need one? No. However, if it sounds like something you'd go for, chances are really good that you will love the HDS light. With their sale prices, they are a great value - just don't drop it on it's front end (thin aluminum and the mechanical weak link).

cslinger is right for sure!

Hans

Enlightened
cslinger said:
In a nutshell...

42 Lumens is plenty.
The Ultimate is more novelty as far as my needs are concerned.
The 4 stock light levels are perfectly spaced out.

I agree on the first point. I find I very rarely use the high setting, but it's there in case I need it. And 42 *real* lumens, as opposed to the inflated numberrs some manufacturers like Fenix claim for their lights, is a heck of a lot of light.

However, the Ultimate has two functions I like: The possiblity to setup the light that it always turns on at the last level selected before turing the light off, and the possiblity to adjust the levels. That's very useful, for instance on a night hike when I definitlely don't want the light to turn on at full blast 8like the LE), and not even at the primary level. I also find I prefer to set my secondary somewhat lower than the original setting, and the low setting even lower than the stadard setting.

Whether that's worth the extra, is another question. I can happily live with the Basic, but the Ultimate is really nice ... :D

Hans

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
After your UWOJ FLuPIC KL1, I think you might end up a bit dissappointed in the HDS B42. Not that it isn't a fine light; it is. But next to your modded KL1, it might take at least a U60XR or even a U85 to be impressive to you.

mikeymoto

Newly Enlightened
The REAL show stopper here is that there aren't any more Titanium bezel rings available at the Sandwich Shoppe for the time being.

shaman

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

Thanks for all of the insights! I haven't every owned a Arc nor HDS but I have enjoyed their well engineered products from afar. I really do like the look of the HDS flashlights.

Planterz said:
After your UWOJ FLuPIC KL1, I think you might end up a bit dissappointed in the HDS B42. Not that it isn't a fine light; it is. But next to your modded KL1, it might take at least a U60XR or even a U85 to be impressive to you.

This is my fear, that I will be a bit biased since I went down the modder road before seeing one unmodded.

Sincerely,

Shaman

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your current EDC is very similar to mine, which is a vitalgear FB1 with a modded Exe head to take a McR20 and aleph LE, with a UX1K FLuPIC. I have been considering the B42 as well at its current price (and really considered 4sevens 42XRGT for $99 in BST) but keep coming back to thinking my current modded EDC is perfect. When I need more throw I break out my new u-bin M@GSD, and I doubt any of the EDCs will out-throw it.

*EDIT - added pic to show off my gems*

schiesz_combo.jpg

schiesz

Last edited:

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HDS line of lights is one of the premier lights out there! Really do like my U60!!

shaman

Newly Enlightened
schiesz said:
Your current EDC is very similar to mine, which is a vitalgear FB1 with a modded Exe head to take a McR20 and aleph LE, with a UX1K FLuPIC. I have been considering the B42 as well at its current price (and really considered 4sevens 42XRGT for $99 in BST) but keep coming back to thinking my current modded EDC is perfect. When I need more throw I break out my new u-bin M@GSD, and I doubt any of the EDCs will out-throw it.

schiesz

Ah yes, very similar. I don't have a MagSD :rock:, nice setup! One of my Mag2d ROP will be my thrower I guess :shrug: (One is HS the other is SMO). I keep thinking the same about my EDC, I just can't stand the switch. I've fixed it and it works... for now. I may just put a WTB on the kroll body up...

Sincerely,

Shaman

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
How old is your FB1? Mine is about 3-4 months old and right when I bought it I had heard that they just fixed something in the tailcap. I think I read that the old ones didn't have a spring in the back or something.

I wanted one of those single 123 TB bodies as well, missed getting the last one by 2 minutes IIIRC.

schiesz

shaman

Newly Enlightened
schiesz said:
How old is your FB1? Mine is about 3-4 months old and right when I bought it I had heard that they just fixed something in the tailcap. I think I read that the old ones didn't have a spring in the back or something.

I wanted one of those single 123 TB bodies as well, missed getting the last one by 2 minutes IIIRC.

schiesz

You are correct. And well, sadly... I have one with the spring and the problem is present. Granted after I took it apart and soldered and expanded contacts, the problem has went away. Now I am just afraid the problem will come back up. Just for kicks I tried the Kroll in to see how off it was in the FB-1 body, and well it was way off.

The more I get to thinking about it, I could get a MagSD and the kroll body for probably less than the B42, isn't this about right?

Sincerely,

Shaman

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are correct about the MagSD and kroll body. If Mod-a-mag is still selling them in his clearance sale, the MagSD body was just like $15 or something. Of course, then you need to get a tailcap switch from Mac. Still, its less than the B42 sale price.

schiesz

turbodog

Flashaholic
If HDS is trimming their product line to make way for new stuff, and the battery tubes are still not out then perhaps the new stuff is right around the corner.

If so, expect a boatload of CPF people to sell all sorts of HDS lights as they upgrade.

I'd wait.

In any case, there's always used lights coming up for sale all the time.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got an early B60 and it's great. As a guy who uses dim light the vast majority of the time I'd say jump right in on the B42. I've been using mine for over a year and as someone else noted, I'm still on the original cell that came with it, (with the exception of some runtime tests).

If I could go back in time the only thing I would change is that I would have bought the U42 while it was still offered. The critics of the "U" series obviously have no need for it, which is just fine. I would love to have a U42 that I could program to come on initially at a very low output level -- but generally those who don't need it have no comprehension of how useful it can be to those who may.

Last edited:

cslinger

Enlightened
Funny you should say that Sub Umbra that is exactly how I have my U42 set up. It is my house light and is set to come on very low.

Chris

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sub_Umbra said:
If I could go back in time the only thing I would change is that I would have bought the U42 while it was still offered. The critics of the "U" series obviously have no need for it, which is just fine. I would love to have a U42 that I could program to come on initially at a very low output level -- but generally those who don't need it have no comprehension of how useful it can be to those who may.

That is exactly why I prefer the ultimate models, I like to program it to come on at the lowest level first, I hate being blinded when I wake up in the middle of the night. The lower settings on the HDS are really where the value is at, months of runtime if I ever where to need it. :)