Lamina Ceramics cluster LEDs

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I purchased a small Lamina Ceramics LED array. This is the same unit that's in that LED worklight that's going for $50 right now. It's rated at 108 lumens at 5500k.

One of the things I usually check with white LEDs is the reaction of the phosphor coating to both blue and NUV LEDs. It seems that all white LEDs fluoresce an orange-ish color under blue LED illumination, which is what I would expect. Most of them have little fluorescence under a 395nm NUV LED though.

When I tested the Lamina with the NUV LED, I found that the phosphor fluoresced with the usual orange-ish glow under blue illiumination, but it flouresced a brilliant yellow under the NUV LED. I've only seen this in one other LED, a 5mm unit that had an unusually crisp white appearance when illuminated. I'm hoping the Lamina array will look similar to this when I power it up.

Last edited:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. That makes a little more sense. On the CentraLED worklight thread, I read that they were $130 on the Lamina website, which seemed a little off, being that Harrington is selling the lights for $49.99.

hpcjerry

Newly Enlightened
I saw that too, I think the guy was confused with the array that does ~500 lumens for white, rather than this one which only does ~100.

HenryE

Newly Enlightened
So this is about a 12V/5W source doing better than 100 lumens for $20 or so. How does that compare to a small fluorescent for emergency lighting?