What's the best way to take apart a QIII with out damaging it?

dmz

Enlightened
What's the best way to take apart a QIII with out damaging it?

mosport

Enlightened
Heating it up with a hairdryer for 60-90 seconds works well, I used a towel to grip the body and it came apart without any fuss.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too used a hairdryer, but it took more like 10 minutes and I had to use leather fireman's gloves..

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
A lot of people (myself included) have had success by boiling the light in a plastic bag (for added protection) for about 90 seconds before soon opening the bezel and/or removing the Torx screws holding on the clip. You may need to repeat the process.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a pair of strap wrenches and it's worked every time on all Q3s. No marks at all since the strap wrenches are just rubber.
Only problem I had thereafter was on 1 Q3 where the retaining ring holding down the circuit/LED was stuck (possibly accidentically loctited also).

Mr. Bombastic

Newly Enlightened
I've been trying to open the head of my big QIII for ages. Been using boiling water (with the light in a bag for 10 minutes) and two strap wrenches. It just wont budge!

A section under the clip came unglued though. However, this doesn't let me access the LED at all, just the top of the battery tube.

I don't have a hairdryer or heatgun, does anyone have any other ideas?

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr. Bombastic said:
I've been trying to open the head of my big QIII for ages. Been using boiling water (with the light in a bag for 10 minutes) and two strap wrenches. It just wont budge!

A section under the clip came unglued though. However, this doesn't let me access the LED at all, just the top of the battery tube.
Same happened to me. The small section on the bottom of the head came apart by hand (really twisting), but no matter what I did, the head would not loosen by hand, and I made my hands hurt and bruised for a day ( I do not bruise easily!) trying. Until I broke out the strap wrenches. It is not easy to do the first time, because you have to take some care to tighten them very well so they don't slip. But then... twist (make sure you are UN-screwing - easy to mix it up with all the tools covering the entire head/bezel) it just comes apart. There is NO WAY the head will stand up to properly tightened strap wrenches. It would have to be soldered or welded together. You just have to pull the straps as tight as you can get them, and they will get it open. I've opened my Q3 and my Big Q3 this way.

Mr. Bombastic

Newly Enlightened
I took your advice. I pulled the strap wrenches so tight I thought I was gonna break something and after the count of three I called on the powers of Greyskull and managed to twist it open! :D

Was a bit of an anti climax... now that I can't get the darn reflector out. I think I'm gonna need to go and buy some needle-nose pliers.

All I want to do is clean the inside of the lens!

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
Boiling water? Hair dryer / heat gun? You guys are way too sophisticated for me. I used a RCR123 cell. Turned the QIII on. Wrapped it up tight in an old rag and shoved between the sofa cushions. After 5 minutes and no free air, it was plenty toasty. It still put up a little fight, but I won in the end.