Fenix PI after 20 minutes...Too Hot?

DimBeam

Enlightened
I am considering buying the Fenix P1 but am concerned about heat buildup after extended use. I used my Fenix L1P during a blackout the other night and after 20 minutes it was just warm. Has anyone left the P1 on for that long and was it too hot?.......Thanks

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Warm is fine. Hot isn't. Too hot to touch can be very bad. The P1 on a primary can get fairly warm, but I don't think it can get too hot, even if it's just sitting around (ie, not being held in your hand, which sinks heat away). A 3.7V lithium ion can get too hot fairly quickly. It's a misnomer that LEDs generate no heat (we know better, but the masses don't), and brighter LEDs generate more heat the brighter they get. A Lux V light like a Surefire L4 can get quite hot under normal operating levels.

For the most part, unless it's extremely hot, the LED is probably fine. This varries from light to light of course, but if the body of the light gets warm, that's a good thing, since it means heat is being drawn away from the LED. That's why most lights have aluminum bodies, because aluminum has good thermal characterstics for flashlights. There are definitely some lights that can get too hot for their own good, but the P1 on a lithium primary isn't one of them.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, and for the record, I have left my P1 lying around turned on (draining old CR123As to see how quickly the P1 dimmed when batteries died) for at least 20 minutes, and yes, it gets warm, but not uncomfortably so, and not nearly enough to damage the light. I doubt that you could pop in a fresh CR123A, leave the P1 sitting around until the battery is drained, and it would get hot enough to damage the LED.

Lmtfi

Newly Enlightened
I'm still trying to get my Fenix P1 to actually work. Fenix clearly has no-one checking lights to see if they are functional before shipping them.

I am losing faith in Fenix.

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
Have you looked at the threads regarding certain batteries not making good contact within the flashlight and how to remove the spacer ring that's under the wrapping on some battery negative terminals? I think that's solved most people's initial problems. Is yours something new and different since I haven't been reading on the P1 in the last few days?