KYDEX -- Need Help

D

**DONOTDELETE**

This is a request for advice on forming an outer sleeve for a flashlight body, so hopefully it is considered flashlight related, at least for a while so I can get some help before it is moved.

Anyway all I really need is a source for a small quantity of thin black Kydex sheeting, of the type that can be placed in hot water and formed over an object before it cools and hardens. Advice on how to go about actually forming it would be most appreciated as well.

Any reply would be most appreciated.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has been a while since I bought any, but one of the places I used to get it was HERE:http://www.texasknife.com/store/s-pages/TKS_MainframeStore.htm

I dont know if you can get better price elsewhere or not.

Although it is for making knife sheaths, there are instructions here that will give you a general idea:
http://www.texasknife.com/TKS_Mainframe.htm?TKS_Projects2-kydex.htm~main

I never heard of using hot water to form it though. I'm not sure that would be quite hot enough to make the Kydex realy flexible. I always used a heat gun, a toaster oven or a regular oven.

Steve-at-Springboard

Newly Enlightened
I have a small bunch from an earlier project. Minimum order was two 4 x 8 foot sheets. Email me your address and I'll send you a #10 envelope size piece N/C. If you like, include your email address and I'll send you a price list of the things I sell. Might be able to combine business and hobby.

Who said 'its a business doing pleasure with you'??

BTW, when I got interested in Kydex years ago, a nice lady at the factory sent me two booklets on Kydex, how to form, properties, etc. Probably all on the web somewhere. Also, she thought I'd be buying lots of the stuff, she sent four large keyrings of Kydex 'swatches'. Basically, 2 x 4" coupons of the various Kydex varieties. One was a sample of each of perhaps 20 colors. Another was one of each thickness from about 1/64 to 1/4". The third was each of the eight or so different surface finishes (backside always smooth). The most common, I think, is 'haircell'. The fourth keyring was about 5 neon-type colors of Kydex. I'm sure they don't stock all the 1600+ combinations but its interesting to see all the possibilities.

BTW, things made of Kydex can 'relax' in a sealed car with direct sun on them. The air temp can easily be 130F and then the black Kydex goes beyond that. Ask me how I know!

aso

Enlightened
How you know?
confused.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Steve-at-Springboard

Newly Enlightened
Sorry for the delay.

Simple story: spent many hours designing and fabbing Kydex ham radio holster and left it on car seat (without radio in it) while at work. Came back and found it halfway back to unbent shape. Not a catastrophe but something to be aware of in hot climates.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Ever seen the deformed videocasette at the video store with the warning..."Do not leave videos in car"

Cars will do wierd stuff to plastics that can't take that kind of heat! Even Saabs
wink.gif