hds42 quickie

photo2000a

Newly Enlightened
hi

I just got a nice 42xrgt.

Noticed that on 'low' power it sorta has a high freq noise, and on high power it's more quite and sorta more like a tiny buzz

The low freq noise sorta sounds a bit like my surefire on low

question:

is it normal for it to buzz both on low and high power?

PS it's right out of the box so i didn't change the settings i did a battery out/in reset w/a fresh battery

any help appreciated

cslinger

Enlightened
I have a Basic 60LE and an Ultimate 42 and I do not notice any noise. My Surefire L2 does have a noise like you have described on low and it has caused no problems.

Chris

JohnnyLightOn

Newly Enlightened
My new B42XRGT has a noticeable, high-pitched whine on the Primary setting (default setting when turned-on), a lower-pitched and lower-volume whine on the Secondary setting, and no noise at all on Maximum and Minimum.

It bothered me a little at first, then I decided I was never going to use the Primary setting to read at night, and the Secondary's whine is soft enough that I think it won't bother me for reading.

Last edited:

Spudman

Enlightened
I just got the 42xrgt and it also has the noise you describe. I don't notice a sound on the normal setting or extra low. Low and high have the sounds exactly as you describe. I'm also curious if this is normal. Search turned up a little info, but not much. It seems like some have it and some don't.

ibcj

Enlightened
I bought an HDS last August and experienced the buzzing sound also. I emailed HDS (Henry) and he said that it is the inductor and it is completely normal. The buzzing will vary from setting to setting.

JLavino

Newly Enlightened
I got mine last night, and noticed the same exact thing. I noticed it on all settings and made 2 other people listen for it. They called me crazy, and said they didnt hear anything...

Atleast I am not the only one to hear it!

photo2000a

Newly Enlightened
ok thanks all, i guess a 'noisy' inductor is 'normal' all around /all settings

guess i just have those high frequency dog ears

thanks

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can't change the settings on a basic model unfortunately. The noise is normal and varies from model to model.

photo2000a

Newly Enlightened
PhotonBoy said:
I'm not familiar with this light, but maybe it's possible to put a small dab of silicon rubber on the coil/inductor to dampen the noise to acceptable levels. YMMV. Good luck.

>>never thought of that, thought the buzzing would be more electrical"" than mechanical

would silicon rubber glue, be an acceptable 'fix' ie no thermal overheating concerns? perhaps a drop of hot melt glue?

photo2000a

Newly Enlightened
Kevin Tan said:
The electronics of this light is potted.
,,<<hmm well if it's solid, then it prob isn't a loose inductor , i dunno

wonder what is the cause, thou seems it's not unusal, i am ciourious??

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't got an HDS but my ARC + makes a high buzzing on its highest setting but not on any other - not loud enough to bother me though.

Looking forward to posessing a buzzy HDS!!!

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got mine today, B42XRGT (#2599)! No buzz what so ever.

Its BEAUTIFUL!!!

Is the max setting only for momentary activation?

kelmo

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
seems like almost all HDS will hum or buzz on a certian setting... however my EDC right now makes no noise @ all 4 presets...

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
kelmo said:
I just got mine today, B42XRGT (#2599)! No buzz what so ever.

Its BEAUTIFUL!!!

Is the max setting only for momentary activation?

kelmo

for max constant ---> triple click then hold... read y0 instructions brothah! :grin2:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
"for max constant ---> triple click then hold... read y0 instructions brothah!"

Thanks jar3ds! LOL

In my own defense I'm a product of the American educational system. I is a college graduate...

Latest posts