ROP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, man. I have been wondering that myself but couldn't pluck up the courage to ask as everyone else seemed to know!!!

I hope someone tells us soon.

Lucero

Enlightened
There are several threads here with excellent info.
If you're a registered user of this board (it's quick & painless), you can use the Search function located in the blue horizontal bar above.
ROP stand for Roar of (the) Pelican.
Pelican is a light mfr. and people use the bulbs in Maglite modifications.

Lucero

Campbell

Newly Enlightened
Exactly what I was looking for X-ray. Many thanks. I have an ancient 5D Mag to use as a host, Think that would work?

Campbell

Newly Enlightened
Many Thanks to both Leukos and X-ray. I copied both links and think I'll try the one X-ray showed me. May cause accidental ignition of the cat, but then again, maybe not. The actual purpose of the light is to hopefully get a bead on the peacock at night and cause him to run headlong into the Cottonwood tree. I'll post results if there are any. Am I OK going with the 5D Mag as a host?

zehnmm

Enlightened
I have put one together, even though I am very challenged in my ability to assemble things. If I can do it anyone can!

My recipe:
1. Mag 2d from Walmart
2. Glass borofloat lens from Lighthound.com
3. Dual function metal reflector, smooth, from fivemega (his sales thread can be found in the group-buy/passaround area....)
4. Battery adapter, 6aa-2d from modamag. Since I bought mine, he transferred his stock to the Sandwich Shoppe (http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/index.php)
They may be out, in which case, you can get a very good adapter from fivemega.
5. 1 package of Pelican bulbs from Lighthound.com (2 bulbs from package: 11W "low" bulb and 24W "high" bulb.)
6. 2 packages of Energizer 2500 AA batteries (4 to each pack) from Walmart

I already had on older Maha charger that I have used for a digital camera.

When I got everything, I replaced the plastic lens with the glass one. Replaced the plastic reflector with the metal one. Took out the stock maglite bulb and put in the Pelican low bulb. Charged the batteries, put them in the holder, put holder in the body and voila! Even a clumsy oaf like me was able to do it.

The bottom line:
1. for the "low" bulb, I get an estimated 323 torch lumens and a run-time of 50 to 60 minutes.
2. for the "high" bulb, estimated 669 torch lumens, run-time of 34 min.

This is a great alternative to buying a Surefire M6 which costs over $300.

My cost: about $110, including shipping and taxes. If you do not already have a charger, plan to spend at least $20 more.

I must warn you: Once you move into the hotwire area, you can never go back!! Hold on to your wallet and enjoy the ride. I predict that if you go the ROP route, then you will want to consider other Mag mods such as the Mag85, or perhaps the Mags with 100W Osram bulbs. I speak with great authority on this matter. My wife thinks I am in desperate need of therapy, but what does she know?

Regards.

Last edited:

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Closed. Please see Sticky in Incan, as I'm going to try and condense the ROP info....

--dan

Status
Not open for further replies.