My comparative LED performance measurments (Lux, Vf, Eff., Temp)

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
Due to the fact that I have several mods I'm getting ready to work on, I wanted to sort out my LED supplies based on performance. Using the bin code just wasn't enough for me, so I home brewed myself a budget "test box". It is simply a 1/2 gallon milk carton with the exterior painted metallic silver then covered in electrical tape to prevent light infiltration. I have my eBay light meter attached to the "bottom" (in use this becomes the side) again covered in electrical tape to affix it and prevent light from entering. On one "side" (in use this becomes the bottom) I have cut a hole that fits around a 2" diameter stepped and finned CPU heatsink. I tested only Luxeon stars and they were stuck to the heatsink using Ceramatique and wires were soldered to provide the electrical connection. I powered the stars with a bench power supply and monitored the voltage and current with two Fluke DMMs (don't have the model numbers handy). It's too embarassing to take pics of, but suffice to say that it's good enough to compare LEDs I have at hand. All of my light readings were taken in LUX. I tested at 350mA, 500mA, 700mA, and 1000mA. And here are the results:

dataalldk0.jpg

BLC = Bogus Lumen Conversion :p

Seperated stars and emitters:

Stars LUX graph:

Emmiters LUX graph:

Mixed 1w & 3w LUX graph:

This sort of helps explain the LuxI/LuxIII battle. For the most part it seems R-bin LuxIs and T-bin LuxIIIs are comparable as well as S-bin LuxIs and U-bin LuxIIIs. However, it is more likely that the underdriven LuxIII will suffer from a shift in tint when driven at below spec power levels. Food for thought.

5w LUX graph:

Stars Vf graph:

Emmiters Vf graph:

Stars efficiency (LUX / Watt) graph:

Emmiters efficiency (LUX / Watt) graph:

Temperature Data:

Temperature readings were done by affixing the emmiter to a D size O-sink via Ceramatique. Temperature was taken in Celcius via contact probe at the raised platform for the emmiter to get the closest junction temperature possible. The O-sink was placed on a 2" CPU heatsink to simulate being installed in an actual flashlight. This last part was critical as I found out. I tested the luxV on the O-sink alone out of curiousity and saw temps of 110 degrees Celcius (230 deg.F) after 5 minutes. (Don't even think of using thermal paste at this high of a temperature. It basically turns into a liquid. Use Thermal epoxy at this point.) I chose to test at 1 minute as it seemed to be a maximum on time for momentary type action. I also tested at 5 minutes as it seemed the O-sink stabilzed within this time period.

Calculated junction temperatures were based on actual Vf and current inputs. Thermal resistance values taken from Lumileds documentation for emmiters.

tempdata9jh.jpg

5 Minute Graph (Calculated Junction Temperature; out of Mag):

The O-sink in a Mag is a great heatsink. In the last set of test data, with the O-sink installed in the Mag, the light was basically in candle mode. With a hand holding the light, things would be marginally better. Looks like 1500mA is the bleeding edge for the luxI and luxV. For a show light or as a burst mode its feasible, but for sustained use, I'd keep things at 1300mA or below. And that is with this optimally heatsinked test setup. Looks Like the luxIII was still fairly stable though, even at 1500mA.

-DF

Disclaimer: I have conducted this testing on my own behalf for my own benefit. If others find this useful, that is great. However, please take into account that this is a comparative analysis and not absolute findings. YMMV

Last edited:

wquiles

Flashaholic
Re: My comparative LED performance measurments...

Excellent. Thanks much for the hard work. I guess I am not the only one who has been interested in doing these types of tests ;)

Will

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast

DiFiorentino, :goodjob::bow: , very nice! Excellent information!

My only concern is that in another thread someone mentioned that there is a difference in how the lux1 and the lux3 handle heat. I don't know if it's outdated information or not, to be honest I'd be surprised if there is any difference between a lux1 and a lux3 other than Bin current but if there is the benefits of the lux1 may boil away without the advantage of a heavy duty heatsink.

Also, do you have more than one of the lux1 SXOH to test? I've got two on the way and would love to be reassured that the example you tested is characteristic of the batch! :grin2:.

Also, did you ever test the current your HDS is feeding the emitter?

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast

Your results on the WWOT leds is very good news for me. I just sold my TYOJ hd45 and placed an order for a new WWOT version. I read the thread and everyone sold their WWOT binned models for the X ones, but i think ill have a more noticable upgrade from the TYOJ to the WWOT. I cant wait, i hope this will be brighter then my U2. (poor thing, seams to not get much attention anymore)
Oh well, Does anyone have any beam shots between the 2? So what is the tint like the on the WWOT? (IIRC someone said it was near green on lower vf)
very informative chart! THANK YOU :grin2:

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great job on this! It's nice to see the SX0Hs and the UX0Js behave very similarly. Thanks for doing these tests.

Paul

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast

First post updated.

I tested the other two SX0Hs I had. They seem to be on par with the first. This also proves, within reason, the repeatability of my crazy set up. In addition, I cranked the two SX0Hs up to 1000mA :huh: . Pretty interesting. I'll bring my contact thermo probe home from work this week, but my calibrated hand says that the SX0H at 1000mA is WAY cooler that any of the luxVs at 700mA+.

Will: I take that as high praise coming from you. Your light box was the motivation it took for me to get off my a__ to finally do this :grin2: .

xochi: I'll see what I can do about my HDS. As you can see, at least my small batch of SX0Hs are pretty consistent. As far as heat is concerned, I'll get scientific measurments later this week. Given the fair to average heatsink I was using, I was more concerned with the LuxVs at 700mA-1000mA then the LuxI SX0Hs at 1000mA.

nakahoshi: There should be a night and day difference going between a TY0J and a WW0T in the HD45. Almost incomparably so. The LuxV will not only output way more lumens, but the beam pattern is so different. Most W0s I see are white. Only when compared to other tints can I tell that most W0s are on the slightly warm side. WAVE_PARTICLE did an excellent comparison with beamshots between a WW0T HD45, WX1S TM in a SF-M6, and a SF U2.

-DF

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast

DF, thanks! That is the thread i have been looking for, i think i skipped over it before i made the decision to buy the WWOT HD45, so thanks for pointing it out. I will let you know how it turns out when it shows up, this is some really great info, i feel alot better now!
-bobby

AW

Newly Enlightened

Excellent info. I 'll start replacing all my Lux IIIs to Lux I SXOH stars I have :rock:

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice info - Thanks for all of that testing.

It is very interesting how the higher Vf tracks with higher output, not just in your tests, but others as well (maybe it was Will's data). Almost seems like watts are more important than current, making constant current drive slightly less important for constant output in some cases.

Please guys, don't flame me on that comment.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast

I dont think you can make any such claims based on such a small number of samples. I think there are enough cases in the above data alone that support such a premise, and there is plenty of data to negate it. Besides, nothing is being controlled for. A higher Vf could cause a spectral shift which would cause the light meter to read higher, but optical output power would be the same or lower. Until you control for a single variable (Vf) with a large number of samples, I don't think you can make such a claim.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Thanx for all the hard work there !!! :thumbsup:

And the result is ... LuxV RULEZ !!! :crackup: :nana:

bernie

AuroraLite

Enlightened

DF,

Most fantastic work!! :bow: :thumbsup:

Very interesting to see how the SxxH when compared to UxxJ for performance. I kinda wonder if we were to allow more time to run(10-15 min), will the SxxH's performance decline a bit due to the heat/overdriven(to simulate a flashlight setting with lesser heatsink)at 500-700ma? However, it might put SxxH in some heat risk, and I would not wish that so on a premium bin. :ohgeez:

Henry,

I have the same conversation with Djpark long ago about how the waltage might to some degree affect the brightness of the lux. And the test results, to some extent, seems to varify that it does bear some importance to the brightness of a lux besides current.

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast

First post updated with some of the emmiters I had on hand.

It appears that the emmiter from my new B42XR comes out to be a SW0J luxIII. The W0 is based on my own eyes, but the S__J seem to fall in line with the others tested. So, I guess the UX0J I replaced it with actually is an improvement :grin2: .

It's also nice to see that I have some LEDs that span their respective ranges. I have some good T-bins and some poorer ones. Some good R-bins and some poorer ones. Some good...well you get the point. It was interesting seeing the span.

Looking at the mixed 1w & 3w LUX graph helps me visuallize the differences in induvidual bins. But check out the 5w LUX graph. A 20% difference in just the W-bins. :huh:

This exercise has forever transmormed me into an anal SOB. I will from now on log any new LEDs I get and further sort them into my own "bin" structure.

Enjoy.
-DF

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh, and for what its worth, this has brought my respect level for the LuxV up even higher. (I'm with Bernie in the LuxV RULEZ club :lolsign: .) Man those things are BRIGHT :cool: ! Now, I just have to sort out the winners and keep them for myself :naughty: .

-DF

AW

Newly Enlightened

Just bought another tray of SXOH stars based on your findings :naughty: :goodjob:

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Excellent. This should be a sticky.