how did you make money as a kid?

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been trying to find a way to make some money, and since i am not 16, getting a job is out of the question. How did you do it when you were a kid?

-David

cy

Flashaholic
paper route, lawn mowing, handing out flyers, Der Wienersnitzl Hot dog stand, Plating shop, etc

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Baby sitting. I was the only teen on the military base where I lived, so I earned a lot for the time. You probably wouldn't get away with it today. 25 cents an hour in about 1961. I don't think male teenagers have a future in the babysitting industry.

My brother used to collect discarded pop bottles. 2 cents each. A fair bit of cash in the mid-fifties.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
built and sold model rockets to my friends.. that's my earliest memory of making cash..

before I was 16, I had no money most of the time, the world of shop windows was closed to me :broke:

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
I worked in the neighbor's printing shop. I made $2.50/hr cash under-the-table, that was 1978-1982.

greenLED

Flashaholic
sold cookies, drinks, ice cream, fruits - basically anything I could bake/prepare/pick and sell
running errands for neighbors
guiding tourists (I lived in a touristy place)

VWTim

Enlightened
All thru middle school I'd sell candy out of my backpack and locker. Pick up a bag of Blowpops on clearence for $0.50, sell them for $0.35 each. I'd also let kids that had bought from me buy in IOU's...they've have 1 day grace period, then 100% interest daily after that. Worked great. Not that I'd recommend it anymore, but I'd also sell disposible lighters.

Also did housework for my mom. How savy are you with Ebay? There's usually a good market to sell peoples stuff for them. Or tutor your parents friend's on how to get started selling on Ebay.

Lots of things, just have to be crafty. I remember frosh year we'd get pizza's delivered to the school (closed campus lunches) then we'd sell slices for $1. We'd get free lunch and a couple bucks usually.

Jamrock

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm, when i was 13-15 my dad used to work International Airport Security and in the summertime i used to follow him to work and retrieve those Baggage Carts,the ones that if you return to the vender you get a Quarter Back...From Mon-Thurs (7am-4pm) i would average $15-$20 a day..I could've made more but i had Bums & The Homeless to compete with..hahaha!!

Summertime here in Hawaii the Baggage Claim Area is Hectic so EASY MONEY!!:naughty:

and on the Weekends (Fri-Sat) i used to work Undertable with my Buddy & his Parents Limo Service Washing & Vacuuming limos for $10 Bucks a day with free breakfast & Lunch:grin2:

Those days I was so determind to get a DJ System and in 3 summers i finally got My Full Mobile DJ Set up:rock:

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mowed lawns, collected bottles along the road, painted fences and sheds/barns, picked strawberries at a berry farm, shoveled sand at a sand pit and when I was 15 got my working papers and road my bike to a hardware store where they had me stocking shelves X number of hours a week.

cyberhobo

Enlightened
Baking Viennese pastries (apple strudels, linzer schnitte, sacher torts, dobisch torts, schnecken, krapfen, semmels, breads and all in between).

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i am not 16 too :p

money to hard to come by, so i always save up my pocket money...spend a little to eat only.

but the best time is chinese new year. we recieve red packets from our parents, aunties and uncles... that brings some good amount of money to me :p

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Driving a tractor with a rake, piling up the freshly cut rows of pinto beans into a larger pile that wouldn't blow away while they were drying, and that the combine could pick up more easily.

Driving a truck loaded with sugar beets to and from the beet dump. Unloading the beets, then dumping the tare (dirt and leaves that come off the beets during dumping is put back into the truck before you leave) in a pile at the edge of a field.

Driving a tractor pulling a disc, breaking up and turning over the soil over in a harvested barley field.

Walking around a field in the heat of the day in the summer with a hoe chopping out weeds.

I worked for my dad.

Last edited: