• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired F/S: ***RETRACTED***

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Due to the inability to close on the transaction on this thread sale, I have decided to RETRACT the item and repost the offering HERE.

Thanks you for your interest.

For Sale:

Mrx.jpg

mrxwdura.jpg

I am offering for sale my greatest single Lux flashlight of all time.... Mr. X. This light is in perfect condition and I consider MINT! It comes complete with a mineral glass lens, Mod-a-mag MOP reflector, and a Fivemega battery pack. The light offered also comes complete with 6 Duracell 2300 mah NiMH batteries. I will also include a Enegizer fast charger for the batteries included.

The light runs in regulation (as depicted by LED indicator light) for about 1 hour, followed by about 1 hour in a steady drop off. All other details of this light are legendary and need no further explaination.

Again, light is in mint condition.

ASKING $600 dollars, shipped CONUS. PP ONLY!! International buyers please add $20 dollars for Global Priority Mail service.

First to post here "I'll take it" will receive priority.

I am planning on offering this light for the duration of the weekend before being withdrawn.

Thanks for looking,
MSaxatilus

UPDATE:

To anyone interested in this sale, here's the latest:

I have sent LunarModule a PM/Email regarding this sale, but since I have not heard from him since Sunday, I am going to provide him one (1) more day to respond. If I don't hear back, I will unfortunately (for LM) have to relist the coveted Mr. X for sale.

So if anyone is still interested, please state your interest here in this thread and followup with a PM to me.

I will be watching intently and hope Lunarmodule responds. But if I don't hear anything by this time tomorow, the next interested individual will join The Bretheren!

I think this is a fair solution to the situation at hand.

Thanks for your interest,
MSax

Last edited:

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: F/S: Extreamely Rare...... Mr. X!!!

:wow: a Mr. X!!! :aaa: Great light! :) :thumbsup:

slinco

Newly Enlightened

Hooo Weee that's a hot M@G! Little too rich for me tho............

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ugh, why did I just pay my lawyer (again)!! :ohgeez: :rant: :mad:

If you wanna hold it for me until my next paycheck comes in I'll take it :crazy:

-DF

slinco

Newly Enlightened

Now you are a true FLASHAHOLIC!!!!

DFiorentino said:
Ugh, why did I just pay my lawyer (again)!! :ohgeez: :rant: :mad:

If you wanna hold it for me until my next paycheck comes in I'll take it :crazy:

-DF

cy

Flashaholic

whoooa... msax...

looks like the brethern map will be updated soon,,,

Lunarmodule

Enlightened

I'll take it :sold:

Dawg,

No, this is apples and oranges compared to the USL. The USL is a ridiculously bright incan light, producing over three thousand lumens for a little over 10 minutes with a 100W Osram bulb. True to its name, its stealth derives from its stock Mag 2D appearance. Its very impractical, but gotta-have-it silly fun. Like a ten second quarter mile street car. Most hotwire Mag mods are 25W to 35W (WA 1185). Occasionally you hear of 50W or 75W bulbs in use (Like Ginseng's Polaris mod that uses MR-16 bulbs, 50 and 75W were the 2 most popular wattages). But 100W is really a whole different ball game than the 35W 1185. A lot of hotwire fans go slack jawed (as did I) when first seeing an 1185 overdriven properly. After a while, this becomes "ordinary" and it takes a big step up to achieve the next level WOW factor. This usually happens at the 100W level. At 100W you are pushing over 8 amps through the circuit, placing serious stresses on the components in a Mag host, thermal and electrical. The stock Mag switch is way past its safe designed rating for that kind of application for example. At that power level its a feat of engineering to get the power to the bulb and maintain it for any length of time without any parts failure. The coolest part of the USL is the ULTRA-low resistance of its circuit. It is a milestone achievement and has established itself as a high watermark of performance in custom/mod designs. Bill Waites is too modest, I am in awe of his and Jim Sexton's creation. I pined after one forever, then 50W HIDs, a Supernova, and a Maxabeam satiated my hunger for mega lumens.

The Mister X, similarly, is to single LED lights as the USL is to a stock Mag 2D. It is the gosh-darn brightest Luxeon light I am aware of. From what I recall, Hotbeam found himself a cache of X3T Luxeon Vs many moons ago, and started building Mag conversions with them featuring an ingenious constant current converter design. The X-bin Lux Vs are as bright as it gets (for Luxes). It represents a high watermark of performance in the LED world. Its a really cool design, fully regulated with a little LED over the power switch that glows when out of regulation. Since the large-ish Mag D reflector produces such silly high lux readings with LEDs in the form of a smallish but strikingly intense center spot, the combination of Mag host and top gun luminous flux LEd made for the big mutha of its kind. Superior throw (for an LED) and a whole mass of light in general. Orignally sold for just over $200, but IIRC less than 20 were made and X-bins are just super rare in general. It produces somewhere in the vicinity of 200-250 lumens, which is roughly 1/12th the number of sheer lumens of the USL, which dosent sound like much. As I said, apples and oranges. The Mr X is said by those that have done comparisons, like cy, to be brighter than a trilux III U-bin setup and throw farther. Throw is a huge weakness of Lux V lights. The uncanny reality of the MR-X's throw potential is similar to the nature of the USL's overkill bulb in a "tiny" reflector. I say this because the same bulb used in the USL, is properly fitted in a spotlight with a NINE point five inch reflector, namely the Lightforce Blitz 240 as one example. The Mr X can throw, I believe, due to its sheer intensity of output. Logistically, the Lux V is terribly handicapped for throw potential compared to the garden variety Lux III due to its much more spread out emitting surface. The LuxIII is a single die, much smaller point source. Smaller the point source of light, placed in the focal point of a reflector, the more collimated and tighter the resulting beam, hence more distance/range/throw. The Mr X overcomes this handicap with brute force lumens. Its a piece of history, a real collector's item.

I have an Ostar en route from Germany, and a Shark coming from the Shoppe. With the 2 of them, in a 3D Mag I hope to make over 550 lumens with a single LED, double the Mister X's output. The Ostar is the bleeding edge of LEDs for flashlight use, and soon even higher output designs promise to further close the gap seperating LEDs and high performance hotwires.

What the USL and Mister X have in common is they both represent the pinnacle of high performance custom mods. They both are the top gun lights when listing the highest end performing mods. To the non-flashaholic world, they do not exist. Inside CPF, they are the stuff of legend.

I should have my head examined for spending this much on a light. But the light of my dreams, a KI Splash, sold while I was out frolicking in the real world. Mr X is number 2 with a bullet on the all time most wanted list. I about fell out of my chair when Bill hinted he might part with his "sometime". It is silly, but gotta-have-it silly.

Like a 10 second quarter mile six hundred horesepower street car.

I had one before, and it left a much bigger hole in my bank account than this flashlight will. If only I had this light to carry around in THAT car...... car is loooooong gone. Had it before my first Surefire..... come to think of it the only light I carried back in those days was a MagCharger. I have to get another one, I swear that darn MagCharger seemed like the brightest light in all creation when I had it, probably laughable next to my 3x Pila 168A WA 1185 car light.....

Last edited:

cy

Flashaholic

Nice snag LM! welcome to the MR-X brethen...

dawg, MR-X is no here near bright as USL. My MR-X puts out aprox. same flux as M6 lola.

Robban

Enlightened

Now that the sale is out of the way. Would you guys mind if I ask what the big deal is with this one? I did a search and skimmed through a couple of threads. From what I see this is basically a nicely binned 5W driven by a boost circuit in a Mag host? I don't see where the $600 price tag comes from.

*puts on every piece of protective clothing he can find and awaits the fire* :D

edit: All that information in LM's post wasn't there when I asked. Just felt I needed to put this in so people don't think I'm completely blind or stupid :p

Last edited:

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lunarmodule said:
I'll take it :sold:

Good Pull, Steve!:nana:

Nice piece of incredibly bright history you snagged! :twothumbs

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

Robban,

At basics, you are correct.

However, the MR-X incorporates a few extra little pieces that, as yet, have not been available on other lights.

First, it has a low battery indicator, a small red LED incorporated just above the switch.

Second, it has an incredibly well built regulation circuit designed specifically for the light.

Finally, it has a WHITE X binned LuxV that by all accounts is an overperformer. I know that mine absolutely KILLS two very high performing "W" binned LuxV's I have. I did just have a SpaceNeedleII rebuilt by Milkyspit which had a "W" in it that was the best performing "W" I've seen, (I almost wanted to buy it back from Dawg!) and the MR-X was still quite a ways out in front when it came to color and output. My MR-X will put light on my 175 yard tree with a regular Mag head and an orangepeel reflector, and no other LuxV has managed that. (I just checked last night because Milkyspit asked me about it. I didn't think it would, but it did!)

The MR-X is sort of the USL of LuxV's, although it predates and out sophisticates the USL by a large margin, or maybe the USL is the MR-X of incans!:) :)

On top of that, there were only about a dozen built, if I remember correctly.

Bill

Last edited:

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bill was your "W" bin driven at 1.5 amps as the "X" was?

Mac

Luna

Enlightened

cmacclel said:
Bill was your "W" bin driven at 1.5 amps as the "X" was?

Mac

That is my question too

Robban

Enlightened

bwaites said:
Robban,

At basics, you are correct.

However, the MR-X incorporates a few extra little pieces th
<snip>
Thanks for the explanation. It all makes more sense now :)

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast

The "MR" refers to "magic resistor" it is not a boost converter it is a buck regulator(iirc) that when it dropped out of regulation added only a little more resistance then a piece of wire compared to a straight resistored light which had the resistor always in line and resisting. Thats what I recall anyways. mine is not an X but it has a low vf W lux V and runs for over two hours on 6 AA's at a little over 1 amp. in an old (thick walled) 2D mag

C

Last edited:

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast

Steve strikes again. Good snag there my friend.

Curtis

Status
Not open for further replies.