Help pick the right light for the job

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey everyone! I just got off the phone with my mother-in-law and she told me that she was taking a gun class. She said that her instructor told them to get a good tactical flashlight, pepper spray and all the new technical gadgets at our disposal. Peculiar.

What was really fun though was she said she wanted to ask me about the flashlight that he recommended and would do that when I got home later. We'll I proudly told her that I pretty much had them all memorized and that she could just tell me now. (As I thought that the recommendation would be a Surefire, which is nawt my specialty by far.)

Anyway, that was a kewl moment that I thought you guys would enjoy to live vicariously. I mean, how often do we get geniune inquires about our specialized geekdom hobby? Let alone your mother-in-law!!

I recommended a Tigerlight with both stream and cone pepper spray cans. And then she said he recommended a Surefire E2D. Now first thing I thought was, yikes, top of the line expensive and a battery eater. Are they regulated?

I was going to recommend a Q3 as she is on a tight budget but even so, why do you think the instructor recommended the E2D? Why not a Fenix L1T or something else even?

Also, what do you all recommend?

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E2D is a GREAT Light, but is cost an issue?

The Tigerlight with cone makes more sense than the stream, even cops sometimes have a hard time putting the stream on the subject under duress. BUT...the Tigerlight is pretty large diameter, I know it's not super easy for my wife to use.

The stock Q3 doesn't have enough output to qualify as "tactical".

Just like always, a few questions:

Budget?
How often will it be used, just as emergency or frequently?
She needs to handle a few lights herself and see what is comfortable.

Bill

PS, I like your choice, the Tigerlight, IF she is comforatable with it!

Bill

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Bill! Thanks for the feedback.

She has tried my Tiger11 a couple of times and she was blown away by your USL. I keep a stock 2D just for demostrating the difference. eheheh

The first thing I said was that the tigerlight was a large light but she didn't think much off it. She still liked the idea of having one.

Instructor said they need both stream and cone. Steam for inside the car.

I thing CR123 batteries are not convenient. Why not AA like a L2P with about 700 LUX or how about a ProPoly 4AA with 3000 LUX??

As for Budget? I'd like to get the lights for her but I think the batteries should be convenient. BTW She's on a fixed income.

How often will it be used, just as emergency or frequently? Nawt sure :shrug:

Any other suggestions?

greenLED

Flashaholic
CroMAGnet said:
...he recommended a Surefire E2D. Now first thing I thought was, yikes, top of the line expensive and a battery eater. Are they regulated?

I was going to recommend a Q3 as she is on a tight budget but even so, why do you think the instructor recommended the E2D? Why not a Fenix L1T or something else even?

E2D's are not regulated, but the "d" factor is something her instructor may be taking into account. How much does she really want to go into "fighter mode" and learn how to use an e2d in its "full" potential? Also, from what I hear from people who carry a gun and a light, they don't use their "tactical" light for casual needs. That way the light is always topped off and ready to deliver their punch. An e2d is small for carrying in a pocket as well.

I don't think Fenix is very widely known outside of CPF... I may be mistaken, though. Something cheaper than a SF could be one of those Brinkmann incan lights. :confused:

The only small incan I can think of is the SF A2. Not sure of its value as a "tactical" light. PM oregonshooter, he can help you.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest something that can be used while holding a handgun like a 6Z or Gladius or a SL NF2, since she is a lady she probably has small hands and carries a purse, so a small light might be just what she needs.

AlexGT

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
"And then she said he recommended a Surefire E2D. Now first thing I thought was, yikes, top of the line expensive and a battery eater."

Humm, so how much is your mother's life worth?

I was going to suggest the E2e or maybe a C2 or a M2

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Double_A said:
"And then she said he recommended a Surefire E2D. Now first thing I thought was, yikes, top of the line expensive and a battery eater."

Humm, so how much is your mother's life worth?What does that have to do with anything??

I was going to suggest the E2e or maybe a C2 or a M2
Sheeesh!

I have a lot of CR123 lights and wouldnt consider any of them a defense weapon that I could use effectively. Let alone a retiree.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tight budget, but still bright and functional with one hand while holding a gun in the other? Surefire G2.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just did some searching on Flashligtreviews.com and found some comparisons

Here's a direct quote from Quickbeam's website. OK kiddies, let me make this exceptionally clear from the get-go. The E2D is NOT a toy. Surefire has taken all of the quality and engineering innovations they are well known for and has made a light which, true to its name, "Executive Defender", both looks good and could do significant damage to an opponent if weilded properly. If used improperly you could get into a lot of trouble and quite possibly injured to boot..

Nuwai has an X-3 2AA similar size to an E2D

E2D
-LUX 1350
-Output 4000
-runtime 1hr

X-3
-LUX 1790
-Output 3400
-runtime 90min
2AA batteries

The SL TL2 kicks A^% on the E2D in numbers. The NF2 looks even nicer.

I also have a neat little light from Emilion called the UltraFire UF3
uses a single CR123
I measure 2200 LUX outta this thing! That's a lot of light out of a tiny light like that.

There's also the Nuwai TM-301X-3 which has a similar performance numbers as the E2D

I just don't understand recommending the E2D to her. I could see a ProPoly 4AA or the Nuwai X-3 or the Fenix L2T or definately the TigerLight or NF2 Rawks and is a nice gun choice companion. Is the E2D aggressive bezel such a big deal for her? :shrug:

Here is the light to get her! The SL TLR-2 SL TLR-2 What do you guys think of the TLR-2? Anyone have experience with it? Looks really kewl.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting.

I think the E2 would be a great light, with or without the "D", because it has a slightly more balanced runtime than the P60 based lights.
It is also pretty small, which could be nice for a lady.

Does it have a clicky? That could be a plus.
Could also be upgraded later with a KL1 for longer runtime.

But, as Lightraven stated, a G2 might just do the job nicely. It is the only Surefire I own, and it is really impressive...and inexpensive.
It feels "high quality".

Yeah, 123's are expensive, but a box should last forever...and, you could later upgrade the G2 with an LED dropin, which would decrease output a bit, but greatly increase runtime.

I personally am re-thinking my light purchases.
Instead of buying several inexpensive lights, I am leaning toward getting a system of more expensive (and generally high quality) lights, which allow a wide range of applications via add-ons.

A great example is the E-series from Surefire.
If you get an E2, you have a choice of the standard lamp, low output lamp, KL1, clicky, beamshaper, etc, etc. That is really nice!

A likely less expensive option for a system would be the UK lights.

Bob

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
CroMAGnet said:
Sheeesh!

I have a lot of CR123 lights and wouldnt consider any of them a defense weapon that I could use effectively. Let alone a retiree.

I wasn't trying to imply you had no regard for your mom's life! If I left you with that impression I'm very sorry and I apologize.

What it means is that tools used to protect one's life is not the place where one looks for maximizing cost saving.

When your life could be in jepardy go which the best, go with something proven, go with something made specifically for the application at hand.
The Surefire line fits that to a "T" which is why they were specifically recommended.

Tactical lights are NOT necessarily used AS A WEAPON in itself, although the E2D was designed with enhancements to have an edge there.

In your mom's application in her gun class, Tactical lights are recommended and designed to be used in low light defensive shooting.

They need two be a certain size and shape so they can be used in the two hand grip that is taught and the on/off switch must be at the tailend of the light for ultra quick activation and is one of the musts for a tactical light.

Last edited:

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would go for something wicked bright, like the $69 D3 at LAPolicegear, a 6P with P61 or a Brinkman Maxfire if your budget is lower. I don't think the battery type matters much as this isn't for your typical everyday uses either. One 12 pack and she is probably set for life. I got my sister a 6P with P61 and a full surefire spares carrier for Christmas and she hasn't even changed the batteries yet.

The weaponlight is a good suggestion, but if you think the E2d is too high end the mounted weaponlights probably aren't going to come in under budget.

I think of the Tigerlight as more of a security guard type of light, not something my mother-in-law would carry in her purse. The E2d is a nice light, but I wouldn't think of a grandma type getting any more use out of it than a 6P or D3.

The main thing I would take into consideration here is that she is looking for a light to complement her handgun use, so something a Fenix really isn't going to put out enough light to be effective. Look for a bright incan with a tailcap cliccky as your minimum requirements.

schiesz

jason9987

Newly Enlightened
I would defitnatly use a cr123 light, if cost is an issue the SF G2 is a very good light for the money, with the same output as the E2D, I would stick with incan for a tactical light not LED, if you get the brinkman maxfire I'd put the $$ into a SF p60 or p61 for it, they are much more reliable