Do you believe in the afterlife?

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Death! Something we all will experience sooner or later.

What do you think awaits you after you take your last breath on this earth?

This is something I always asked myself. What are your toughts about this?

AlexGT

Santelmo

Enlightened
I definitely know there's SOMETHING afterwards. . . just not sure what!?

FWIW, on of the core concepts in science is the Law of Conservation of Energy which states that; "Energy can not be created nor destroyed, only converted" (I hope I got that right!). Living beings are simply manifestations of life's vibrant and varied "lifeforce". We can and do go on beyond.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Scientifically, no. Philosophically/Theologically, yes.

Last edited:

dragoman

Enlightened
Its always been a question of mine....what exactly is "life"? What happens at "death" when the body stops? Why can people be kept "alive" with machines but their soul is gone?

There is definately something going on here that we haven't figured out yet.....maybe our lifeforce, our "soul" if you will transitions to another form when our body stops functioning.

dragoman

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
I have a dear, very close friend in his 40's. About 4 years ago, he was diagnosed with a non-cancerous brain tumor for which he needed surgery. The operation was very extensive and took 33 hours to complete. My friend "died" three times during the operation. They were able to save him.

Something happened to him while he was deceased. His life has totally changed since then. He says that he was in a place of such beauty and understanding, that it is far beyond description with words. At first, I thought it was just a post-operative phase he was going through. Not so. He actually seems mentally superior since the operation (he was already very intelligent).

He is not a so-called religious person and does not speak of church things. He does now speak freely of a loving God.

Anyway, he now volunteers whenever possible to speak to anyone who might benefit from his experience, such as parents of deceased children, those recently widowed, etc. He is like a completely different person in some respects.

He has told me that the often used phrase about lost loved ones being "in a better place", is absolutely and completely accurate!

Guess we'll all find out when the time comes.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Santelmo said:
I definitely know there's SOMETHING afterwards. . . just not sure what!?

Ditto! Seen/talked to too many ghosts. Had a classic "going towards the light" near-death-experience, but with an odd twist. Yep, I believe in an after "life", but I'm in no hurry to find out what it's like.

I need more coffee. :buddies:

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I kind of do, but have mixed results.

My dad died and they brought him back in the hospital doing a procedure. He said he just recalls everything going black like he was taking a nap and woke up with the guys beating on his chest to bringhim back.

I had a strange experience a few years ago where I think I went to heaven and saw a relative who passed away. When I came back I was too scared to move fearing I had died in my sleep. It was such a quiet day and my hvac unit would not turn on to give me any noise. i finally decided to move to see if I was alive and turned out I was. I was sitting in bed such a strange way I could look down on my body.

Bottom line, this is a simulation or boot camp. Something about the 3 d world spirits an beings long for.

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buddhists classify these beliefs in two ways. The first belief that there is life after death is contingent on belief in something that continues on indefinitely once the body dies (a soul or spirit) this belief is referred to as "eternalism". The second view that there is nothing that continues after the death of the body but that for the duration of the body there is a continuous self or identity is referred to as "nihilism". The Buddha considered both of these as "wrong view".

According to the Buddhist view, the self (soul or identity), is a transient phenomena that is initiated and conditioned by circumstances (past and present). The arising , decay and death of conditioned "selves" is a phenomena that occurs an uncountable number of times within the span of a lifetime (from birth to death of the body). The self always arises on account of a perception of dissatisfaction of the current situation. In other words, when, through a perception gained through the six senses (thought is considered a sense) an object that initiates an attraction or revulsion is encountered, the "self" arises and begins to either crave to interact with the object (like craving a nice hot cheeseburger) or crave to escape the object (like escaping the foul smell no one will own up to in an elevator). Whatever the particular stimulus happens to be conditions how we react and what action the self formulates. Inherent in every instance of this process is suffering as the presence of an arisen self is also evidence of dissatisfaction.

These arising, ageing and dieing selves are all unique according to the conditioning circumstance, once the self of that circumstance has passed, it's gone. The self arisen in me, at this moment, that is created based on it's attraction to a buddhist conception of the phenomena of identity and desires to share it, will die very soon. Perhaps it will cling in pride to it's understanding ( and reread this post) but either way it has to die soon and very shortly another perception will condition the arising of another dissatisfied, clinging, craving, temporary self.

The aim of a Buddhist monk is to gain insight into this process so that it can be interrupted and the birth of a self preempted since the process is only initiated in conditions considered unsatisfactory/suffering (dukkha). When everything is absolutely perfect there is no need to act in any way to change it , right? Thus, no need for a self to arise to identify and make changes.

So , really, since the self writing this post will die long before the body dies, why would it be concerned with what happens to some future self at death?

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Make me one with everything:):laughing::lolsign::nana:

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I so hope this is true. My mom died a couple of months ago and she agreed she would try to haunt me if she could but nothing yet.

cd-card-biz said:
I have a dear, very close friend in his 40's. About 4 years ago, he was diagnosed with a non-cancerous brain tumor for which he needed surgery. The operation was very extensive and took 33 hours to complete. My friend "died" three times during the operation. They were able to save him.

Something happened to him while he was deceased. His life has totally changed since then. He says that he was in a place of such beauty and understanding, that it is far beyond description with words. At first, I thought it was just a post-operative phase he was going through. Not so. He actually seems mentally superior since the operation (he was already very intelligent).

He is not a so-called religious person and does not speak of church things. He does now speak freely of a loving God.

Anyway, he now volunteers whenever possible to speak to anyone who might benefit from his experience, such as parents of deceased children, those recently widowed, etc. He is like a completely different person in some respects.

He has told me that the often used phrase about lost loved ones being "in a better place", is absolutely and completely accurate!

Guess we'll all find out when the time comes.

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe that after death, our spirit or "soul", will be released from our body and will travel to heaven.
I believe everyone that is not purely evil will go to heaven..

-tom

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
My heart was stopped for 45 minutes while the doctors did their work. Think heart bypass machinery. I saw no such lights. I was suprised to be alive when I woke up.

I don't believe in an afterlife.

It may be inpossible to destroy energy, but what we call "life force" is not energy, it's a just a concept. Batteries can go dead, BTW.

Daniel