Standard vs Reverse Clicky

owenbright

Newly Enlightened
I personally really don't like the reverse clicky.. for me it takes away a lot.
It has nothing to do w/ getting used to it... what is there to get used to
anyhow.. it's simply less useful than the standard one.
There are so many lights that I passed on b/c of this... but I guess it comes
down to personal preference.
So, which do you prefer?

EDIT: shoot.. I wanted to make this a poll, but it looks like I can't change it?
:ohgeez:

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
for my dream light.. a (1xAA, nimh, li-ion,alk,lithium) running a flupic in a HAIII body... a reverse click style works the best....

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I really prefer is reliability (which is why I'm a twisty fan).

I think the reverse clicky switch can be made more reliable than a regular clickie AT THE SAME PRICE POINT. So if that's what I'm buying with the reverse clicky, then fine; but I wouldn't mind paying another 50 cents for a normal clicky IF it had the same reliability.

Maybe it's just me, but almost all the switch failures I've experienced (1 on 3D Kel-Light, 1 on 3D Maglight,2 on Arc LS Krolls) have been with normal clickies, so that probably colors my viewpoint.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I like the reverse clicky because it's less likely to accidently turn on when clipped to my belt or in a pocket, suitcase, etc.

A kroll or surefire clickie will light when the button is partially depressed. It will also light when the light is caught between two items such when it ends up wedged between things in the bottom of my briefcase.

A reverse clicky will not turn on till the clicky is fully depressed AND released.

Example; An ARC LS with clickie is not a good choice for pocket use. When you sit the kroll will occasionally be pushed in part ways and waste your battery. A Surefire L4 is not a good choice for belt carry, since the act of sitting will eventually turn it on.

A partially shrouded reverse clikie works well in both situations. By partially shrouded, I mean the button must be depressed the tiniest fraction of an inch below the tailcap to activate.

Daniel

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
MUCH prefer momentary/on/off switching to on/momentary/off. On very hot lights, I don't usually click them all the way on. On my EDC, a Kroll is what the doctor ordered.

I can get used to reverse easily however....

Zeide

Newly Enlightened
Quite new here. Could someone explain what a "clickie" and a "reverse clickie"
is. I have a Fenix L2T light. What clickie is that? Zeide.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zeide said:
Quite new here. Could someone explain what a "clickie" and a "reverse clickie"
is. I have a Fenix L2T light. What clickie is that? Zeide.

Yes:

Clickie: Light press is momentary on or blink; full click for constant on. In that order.

Reverse: Full click for constant on; light press for momentary or blink. In that order.

Mark

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an L2P on L1P body as my EDC and I'd have to say after using mags for a while that I'd prefer a normal clicky more. It's better for when you're doing everyday work say when you need a burst to read a label on a breaker panel or something.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reverse clicky for me. I've had too many 'hot pockets' and dead cells carrying SFs and Kroll equipped lights. They will activate at the slightest pressure.The momentary on is not a requirement for me as I can work a good clicky on and off as fast as I can activate the momentary on a standard clicky.

I have to admit, I love a good clicky and prefer them over twisties though I will accept a twisty over a Kroll. This debate has gone on and on here on CPF for years and will continue to do so. There will always be standard or reverse clicky and twisty activated light lovers.

Blindspot

Newly Enlightened
I like Clicky...uh no, tristy...um, click twisty....wait...flicky tiki....:confused: :whoopin: :drunk:

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reverse clickies are mechanically simpler and less costly to produce. Does that mean we will not see excellent quality reverse clickies and poor quality normal clickies? NOPE. Most of us have seen both.

Personal preference and what is available on the light you want decide.

One situation that does come up for some dictates a normal clickie. In a tactical or undercover situation you would not prefer a reverse clickie. Why? It requires you to activate your light fully on before you can use momentary or signal mode. Likewise, you must go through fully on before you can kill the output totally.

One reason SF clickies are normal and in fact there is a preference for a twisty in those situations.

Mark

Empath

Flashaholic
I prefer momentary on. A moment of sight has always been more useful for me than a moment of blindness.

Theatre Booth Guy

Enlightened
For a "normal" switch, I too can't stand reverse clickies. The exception to this question that I really like best now is the HDS method. As long as there are electronics, why not let them do the actual switching? Then the tail switch can be really small and very reliable.

Navck

Enlightened
Theatre Booth Guy said:
For a "normal" switch, I too can't stand reverse clickies. The exception to this question that I really like best now is the HDS method. As long as there are electronics, why not let them do the actual switching? Then the tail switch can be really small and very reliable.

Technically the HDS is a standard clickie, without momentary. In reality, you have a "membrane", which is a shaped piece of metal, that "snaps" into a different shape on pressure. It also changes the circut path, letting the light know that there has been a switch press, and in operation, the HDS is a standard clickie.

savumaki

Enlightened
Why wear out a switch for a moments required light ?

I've said it b4; I refuse to buy another light untill they come out with a reliable 'momentary on' switch. It would be worth more money for that. (especially if I could get the switch to modify several lights!)

Karl