Sears-sale

DaveG

Enlightened
Sears has the 3-aaa 1 watt led flashlight on sale,for $9.99 this week June 4-10th. In a half off sale.Looks like the same light people were getting to yank the led bulbs out of for other lights.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I got a sunday paper for job ads and saw the sears one. I think kmart had the same light for the same price if I am not mistaken.

WNG

Enlightened
Thanks for the heads up!
Too bad this light isn't AA, it would be a better overall light, given its larger diameter head compared to most AAA type lights. 1W Lux drains down those 3AAA's quickly.

Picked one up in the past, and harvested the bulb for a 3D Mag. It's been doing fine there and the improvement to the Mag is most satisfying. I used plenty of heatsink compound to help it a bit.

Last edited:

Paladin

Enlightened
PR based. I had been running mine in a 3D Maglite, but put it back into the Sears body when the MAG LED's arrived. With 3D driving it the brightness and whiteness were impressive, but the tiny hot spot was annoying. Nice enough at $10 for a tool box light in the original Sears Endurable body.

I wanted to get another for my father-in-law...and struck out with a slightly green, and black hole in the middle style beam, somehow related to the PR LED itself, as the lousy beam followed the LED from body to body. Batteries are marked DORCY on this newer example!

Paladin

VWTim

Enlightened
I've been putting them behind either a LDF lens or I used contact paper to create a poor mans LDF lens. Once diffused some they make great flood work lights IMO.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh.... The led thingie is already mounted to a socket vs screwed to the head? I see what the thing is for them. After a few experiences with tripple a flashlights, I decided to ignore.

FirstDsent

Enlightened
cobb said:
Oh.... The led thingie is already mounted to a socket vs screwed to the head? I see what the thing is for them. After a few experiences with tripple a flashlights, I decided to ignore.
It is in a base just like the Mag's Krypton bulb. Its a direct swap. As easy as replacing the Mag bulb.

Bernie

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does a Mag with this bulb in it compare to one of the new Mag LED's? I haven't seen a really nice review of the Mag LED yet, so I'm not sure of its output and runtime. I do remember reading how this light has unreal throw in a 3D Mag body.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Mag LED Module is bright enough to provide a noticable difference in both throw and overall lightput. But if you use your Mag at relatively short distances (say less than 100 feet), and don't use it for extended periods of time (say continuously lit for over 5 minutes at a time, roughly), the module from the Sears light at $10 is indeed a viable alternative at roughly half the price of the Mag module. Roughly, the output from the Sears module in a Mag light is about that of a SL ProPoly 3C. All in all, not a bad $10 investment.

You'll also want to take a look at the Flashlightreviews article on this module at http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/craftsman_endurable.htm and do make note of the comments regarding heat from the module.

adirondackdestroyer said:
How does a Mag with this bulb in it compare to one of the new Mag LED's? I haven't seen a really nice review of the Mag LED yet, so I'm not sure of its output and runtime. I do remember reading how this light has unreal throw in a 3D Mag body.

Last edited:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brighteyez said:
The Mag LED Module is bright enough to provide a noticable difference in both throw and overall lightput. But if you use your Mag at relatively short distances (say less than 100 feet), and don't use it for extended periods of time (say continuously lit for over 5 minutes at a time, roughly), the module from the Sears light at $10 is indeed a viable alternative at roughly half the price of the Mag module. Roughly, the output from the Sears module in a Mag light is about that of a SL ProPoly 3C. All in all, not a bad $10 investment.

You'll also want to take a look at the Flashlightreviews article on this module at http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/craftsman_endurable.htm and do make note of the comments regarding heat from the module.

Hmm... I see. Can this light run in a cheapie 2D flashlight? I don't already own a Mag, so I would end up spending around $25 to buy the Mag and this light together, and at that price I could almost buy a 2D Mag LED or a Streamlight 3C.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Then I don't know why you even asked.
Buy the Mag when it becomes available in your area.

Hmm... I see. Can this light run in a cheapie 2D flashlight? I don't already own a Mag, so I would end up spending around $25 to buy the Mag and this light together, and at that price I could almost buy a 2D Mag LED or a Streamlight 3C.

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can this light run in a cheapie 2D flashlight?

Most Lambertian Luxeons, such as the one in the Sears module, won't focus properly in most non-focusable flashlights. You'll end up with a donut where the center spot should be. I agree, go with the Mag.

riversedge

Newly Enlightened
nikon said:
Most Lambertian Luxeons, such as the one in the Sears module, won't focus properly in most non-focusable flashlights. You'll end up with a donut where the center spot should be. I agree, go with the Mag.
I would agree except for the fact that that the Endurable is focus-free:whistle:.

And the bulb will have mildly dimmer output with only 2 AA's(I just tried it in a pt-20) Beyond about 1 foot, I can't see the donut.

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
So have you taken a good honest look at the output from the Endurable? I have, with 2 of them, and quite honestly the output from a Mag with a Krypton bulb almost looks better. The best thing you could do with that module is to put it into a decent reflector that can be focused.

riversedge said:
I would agree except for the fact that that the Endurable is focus-free:whistle:

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
unlike others, i bought this light not jsut for the pr-based luxeon but as a host for one of my SMJ pr's

let me tell you, the reflector in this light is AWESOME!!! i've yet so see such a beautiful beam pattern than with the SMJ installed in this light!

i'll have to do a beamshot later.

it looks like the hotspot of a perfectly centered luxeon/optic based light with the spill of a reflector. i would say the spill is roughly an 80 degree

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gee, it's too bad that you're so far away. I've got a couple of these laying around where only the module has been removed. Never been used. Though on slightly cursory examination, that switch doesn't seem very reliable.

4x4Dragon said:
unlike others, i bought this light not jsut for the pr-based luxeon but as a host