Are HDS EDU's PWM Controled?

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read something about how the rate of PWM is how the HDS controls its dimming... i always thought it was non-pwm...

however this morning I took my HDS on low... and shook it in my hand while looking at the LED... I saw a bunch of dots rather than one line of light...

???

aceo07

Enlightened
I hear humming on the max, it tells me the battery is almost too low to maintain max brightness.

I tried low brightness and I noticed the line of dots when I shook it too. I can't notice at 10lumens though.

Kevin Tan

Enlightened
PWM is the recommended way to dim a Lux. Look up the white paper by Henry in his site. Most, if not all of the dimmable multilevel lux lite are pwm dimmed, including mr bulk lion series with controller pcb by Goerges, DJpark with POP and some others.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kevin Tan said:
PWM is the recommended way to dim a Lux. Look up the white paper by Henry in his site. Most, if not all of the dimmable multilevel lux lite are pwm dimmed, including mr bulk lion series with controller pcb by Goerges, DJpark with POP and some others.

Its true that it is much easier to make a multilevel lux light using PWM dimming. While there are a few two level lights with current regulated dimming (like the McLux PD, HD45, CR2 Ion) they are in the minority. And the Surefire U2 is the only light I can think of with more than two levels of current regulated dimming.

PWM dimming has an advantage in that color shift of the LED is less pronounced at differing power levels, but it is inferior to current regulated dimming in LED efficiency (light output/power in).

Spacemarine

Enlightened
The HDS EDC uses a combination of constant power regulation and PWM dimming. The reason for that is to achieve high efficiencies on the higher levels (where constant power regulation is used) and a constant tint on the lower levels (where PWM is used to let the current not become too low).

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spacemarine said:
The HDS EDC uses a combination of constant power regulation and PWM dimming. The reason for that is to achieve high efficiencies on the higher levels (where constant power regulation is used) and a constant tint on the lower levels (where PWM is used to let the current not become too low).
whats another light that does the same thing???? The Proton

(now before you flame me... yes I know its regulation isn't that of an EDC.. but its using a 1xAA so give it some slack!)

Last edited:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
The color shift when dimming without PWM is even more noticible with some colored emitters. CYAN, for instance, drops to green :sigh: when dimed slightly by lowering the voltage.